Newbie User Question - Need for PH2 Assistant
2263 10 2015-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnkelly66
lvl.1

United States

I am a new user of the Phantom vision 2 +.  This is my first drone.  I have read many of the posts here and have learned much from them.

I downloaded the PH2 assistant software and installed that as well as the windows drivers.  Upon first connection I got an automatic update.  In reviewing the software and flight limits, It seemed that most of the default limits (height limit @ 394 ft, decent speed, etc.) were all set conservatively.  Is that true?  I thought after reading the specs, the DJI PH2 vision +  had more capabilities then what is set in the assistant specs.  I assume there is a reason for the conservative limits therefore I have not changed any of them.  

I have contemplated changing the height limit which seems to be set a bit low.  Thoughts ???

Also, other than updates, I am assuming the PH2 assistant software is more for the advanced user vs a basic user like myself.  Is this true?  Just trying to get some views/advice from the more experienced users here.

I was glad I read the posts warning user NOT to do a straight down vertical decent as this can cause a vortex and instability in the DJI.  Outside of reading that, I would never had known that and I would have done just that.  

Thanks for your reviews and advice....
2015-1-3
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I have contemplated changing the height limit which seems to be set a bit low.  Thoughts ???

Are you talking about maximum height, or Return to home altitude limit?  You can change both of them, but be advised, the FAA has a set maximum height you should not go above,which is 400 feet AGL, but that has not stopped many as we see higher flying all the time.  
2015-1-3
Use props
johnkelly66
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-4 05:51

Are yo ...

I was referring to the max height.   I was not aware of the FAA regulation so thank you for that info.  Is it safe to assume then the DJI is capable of going much higher and the 396 foot limit is only the result of the FAA regulation?  
2015-1-3
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

johnkelly66@com Posted at 2015-1-4 06:03
I was referring to the max height.   I was not aware of the FAA regulation so thank you for that i ...

The Phantom will go as high as your transmitter will broadcast before you lose signal.  The FAA has set the restriction because they don't want anyone flying and possibly crashing into an airplane.  They also have restricted airspace around most airports where you cannot even start the Phantom to fly.
2015-1-3
Use props
markus
lvl.4

Germany

The Vortex Ring State isn't a problem that just DJI Phantoms have, this goes for all copters, also real helicopters.
2015-1-3
Use props
johnkelly66
lvl.1

United States

markus@egide.de Posted at 2015-1-4 06:24
The Vortex Ring State isn't a problem that just DJI Phantoms have, this goes for all copters, also r ...

I am guessing the Vortex Ring State is the reason the PH2+ has a slow descent speed limit set as its default setting, to help avoid this from happening.  The descent speed is much slower than the ascent speed by default.  
2015-1-4
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

johnkelly66@com Posted at 2015-1-5 03:25
I am guessing the Vortex Ring State is the reason the PH2+ has a slow descent speed limit set as i ...

Perfectly understood, but 2 m/p/s will not guarantee that you will NOT enter the Vortex. Another way to lessen the chance of entering the vortex it not to come straight down,  move forward, or side to side will lessen the chance also.
2015-1-4
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

this is a great discussion, ive seen tell tell signs of the vortex when trying (initially admittedly uneducated) to come down too fast.  it didnt 'happen' but i noticed the wobbliness.  if it did happen, is there nothing you can do once it starts but watch it crash or are there recovery suggestions?  im now going slow forward movement as i descend, seems to be much more stable that way.
2015-1-4
Use props
markus
lvl.4

Germany

gnixon@comporiu Posted at 2015-1-5 03:40
this is a great discussion, ive seen tell tell signs of the vortex when trying (initially admittedly ...

If you have enough altitude, you might come out of it. Sometimes just by putting the Phantom into ATTI mode and hoping the wind will carry it out of the line of decent. In this mode, horizontal position is not held by GPS. Otherwise you could try to apply forward/back/left or rigt movement. But NEVER apply throttel. This will not work, It'll just make things worse..
2015-1-4
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

great suggestion markus, it is good to know not to apply throttle as that is probably the FIRST thing that you'd naturally want to do so knowing to just move forward/backward or laterally instead to regain control is very good to know.
2015-1-4
Use props
Roadbugs
lvl.1

United States

I set my hight and range distance out and use the flight information to control hight. One note is the phantom will rise 2X the decent so if you climb to higher elevations be very aware of battery life as it can be hard to get down. There are different classes of air space and you can go higher than 400 ft in some locations. If you search on air space classifications the FAA has maps that show allowable altitudes.  
2015-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules