Cracks in frame
1972 18 2016-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Darrin
lvl.1

Australia

Hi new to this Forum. I was going to order a new P3 advanced today. That is until I saw mention on this site of issues with frames cracking. Is this a wide spread problem? As I am in Australia and these cost $1399. It's a lot to spend to have it crack. Not sure know if I should buy it or not. Thoughts please.
Thanks Darrin
2016-1-30
Use props
dhaiken
lvl.2

United States

There are inexpensive 3D printed reinforcements available to strengthen the ends of the arms at the motor mount area.
2016-1-30
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

They released a new shell and motors late last fall or near Christmas and have thus far refused to give serial no. start range..that said, if you can be assured of getting the most current model/manufacturing date you should be good.
2016-1-30
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386588 ft
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-1-30 10:21
They released a new shell and motors late last fall or near Christmas and have thus far refused to g ...

If one has the new style motors do they also have the new shell?  
2016-1-30
Use props
segurasmo
lvl.1

Portugal

The best

http://www.uavbits.net/collectio ... einforcement-plates
2016-1-30
Use props
segurasmo
lvl.1

Portugal

dhaiken@sitewar Posted at 2016-1-30 16:18
There are inexpensive 3D printed reinforcements available to strengthen the ends of the arms at the  ...

2016-1-30
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

kdcox Posted at 2016-1-31 03:24
If one has the new style motors do they also have the new shell?

Not sure, maybe Ken or Tim or some DJI dude or dudette can chime in and confirm....All i wanted was a serial no. start range...
Do some searching, there is a visible difference in the motor and some comparison picts....

http://forum.dji.com/thread-32307-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-33462-1-1.html
2016-1-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You hear a lot of people reporting cracks, what you never hear is that those cracks turned into anything more serious. I have not seen any reports of cracks in the newly tooled frame. But if you worried about all those things reported on this forum, you would never buy a Phantom in the first place. Just go for it.
2016-1-30
Use props
Darrin
lvl.1

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-31 09:00
You hear a lot of people reporting cracks, what you never hear is that those cracks turned into anyt ...

The power of positive thinking. Yeah I'm going to take the chance and see what happens.
2016-1-30
Use props
Darrin
lvl.1

Australia

I think I will buy one and get the reinforcing parts as well. Hopefully that will help to secure things.
2016-1-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Darrin Posted at 2016-1-31 14:58
I think I will buy one and get the reinforcing parts as well. Hopefully that will help to secure thi ...

I wouldn't bother with the reinforcing bits, unless you fit them carefully, there is actually an increased chance of fractures. If you fly your aircraft gently and use it as a flying camera, there is not a huge chance of cracks appearing. Fly it like an F1 car and run into things and yes, you could be in trouble.
2016-1-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The newer versions have the updated shells.
2016-1-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-1-30 12:41
Not sure, maybe Ken or Tim or some DJI dude or dudette can chime in and confirm....All i wanted wa ...

This explains the difference.
http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... al-advanced-motors1
2016-1-30
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-6
Use props
stray_bullets
lvl.2

United Kingdom

@DJI-Ken Are the serial numbers out of the SZ factory sequential or do they just relate to a specific time of production and assembly ? The 2312 motor models are old shell/old motors/old MC board. 2312A motors initial run are new motors/old shell/new MC board, at what serial range did SZ switch to new motors/new MC board and new shell ?
2016-2-6
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

stray_bullets Posted at 2016-2-7 03:34
@DJI-Ken Are the serial numbers out of the SZ factory sequential or do they just relate to a specifi ...

I just purchased a P3P and it has the new motors.  Does this mean it also has a frame that I can count on to not start having cracks in the lower shell?
2016-2-12
Use props
stray_bullets
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Richard in Bois Posted at 2016-2-12 15:45
I just purchased a P3P and it has the new motors.  Does this mean it also has a frame that I can c ...

Not that I'm aware of. Check your model number, if it has "A" after it, you could get stress cracks. If it has "B" after it, that might be the revised shell, but dji have not confirmed this yet.

Either way, most people would advise you back out your motor mount screws an eighth to a quarter turn, just to lessen the pressure on the mount screw blocks and surrounding frame. Just remember to check the screws are ok pre and post flight.
2016-2-13
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

You don't want any 3rd party reinforcements. Just get latest revision of product and enjoy.
2016-2-13
Use props
sarahkatches
lvl.1

United States

I would say don't buy it! Mine is less then 3 months old and cracks everywhere. Three flights ago I couldn't notice any cracks, now it is unsafe to fly! 900 $ in the garbage. Thanks DJI!
2016-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules