Drone hunter?
2365 33 2016-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tayhan91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481601 ft
United States

So i just read this article. Completely agree with its safety prevention but this guy mentions enforcing the FAA "Law" with it. Id be a little fumed if this falcon thought  i was unregistered and smashed my drone upon capture.
Video:

Article:
http://insights.globalspec.com/a ... amp;et_mid=82868023

2016-2-1
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

The FAA might have a thing (or 2) to say about interfering with a legally operated drone.  No-one owns the airspace - it's there for all to use/share.   Unless you are violating restricted airspace,  no one would have a legal right/authority to use this thing.   If someone takes down my aircraft,  and I find them,  I would politely ask them for a full re-imbursement for the aircraft.  If not forthcoming,  I would take them to court.   

On the other hand, they just invented a new game - Drone Wars!!    This kinda reminds me of when I was a kid flying control-line aircraft.   We had a combat mode where 2 people flew their aircraft within the same circle.  Each a/c had a paper streamer hanging off the back.  the goal was to slice your opponents streamer before he/she got yours.

Sid
2016-2-1
Use props
dmcman73
lvl.1

United States

It looks like it has to be sort of inline, the other drone isn't going to stand still like that waiting for the net to be fired.

If I were legally running my drone and someone tried to do that, I think I would probably do a kamikaze on it and try to crash into that drone from the front to take it out as well, that net drone looks a hell of a lot more expensive.
2016-2-1
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

I'm guessing this is more for use in restricted places, like around airports,  maybe at borders or for use by military. Also pretty sure this is the 3rd or fourth time I've seen this video posted

The "no-one owns the air" statement is far from correct in most countries. From someone's property to a certain height up is generally considered part of their property, for example, I can't fly over my neighbours without their permission.

If no one owned the air, I could fly where ever I wanted, to whatever height I wanted at whatever time of day I wanted. There are not many places that this is the case.
2016-2-1
Use props
ermep01
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419803 ft
Netherlands

In the Netherlands the police is hunting for "enemy drones":

(In Dutch; definitive decision in a few months)

2016-2-1
Use props
dmcman73
lvl.1

United States

ermep01 Posted at 2016-2-1 15:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HifO-e ...

I actually just posted this earlier today...very cool but the birds are going to get injured if the prop hits it's talons.
2016-2-1
Use props
ermep01
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419803 ft
Netherlands

dmcman73 Posted at 2016-2-1 21:22
I actually just posted this earlier today...very cool but the birds are going to get injured if th ...

Sorry, just landed on this page.... haven't looked further.
2016-2-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dmcman73 Posted at 2016-2-2 07:03
It looks like it has to be sort of inline, the other drone isn't going to stand still like that wait ...

"If I were legally running my drone and someone tried to do that, I think I would probably do a kamikaze on it and try to crash into that drone from the front to take it out as well, that net drone looks a hell of a lot more expensive. "

Good point. A Phantom is probably a lot quicker and more manoeuvrable than that monster. Like you, I would try to destroy it, that might change their minds. They have a lot more invested in that thing to lose than me.

Every single one of these idiot schemes shows a Phantom hovering in one place imitating a sitting duck and waiting for the 'countermeasure'. No-one would sit still waiting to be taken out.

And certainly not this little black duck.....

2016-2-1
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Yawn...

It's one thing to catch a drone made to stay in one spot for the demonstration, it's another story trying to catch a random drone flying. Judging altitude and distance is challenging to say the least! I was trying to video a friend flying his glider once, we're talking a few servos and an RC. No GPS, FPV, or Altitude readings. I knew i didn't want a mid air collision, so I made sure to be a little higher. When it was all said and done I must have been 100ft above because his glider was barely recognizable once watched the video.

Enforcing what FAA rules to be exact? He's not some FAA police and would violate the same FAA rules to attempt capture...like flying near an airport or higher elevation etc. You're not going to get close enough to any drone to view their registration numbers without capturing them first. This my friends will cause a whole lot of legal issues if the captured drone is in fact registered. I'm sure illegally capture a FAA approved commercial drone would bring some serious heat as well....I'm working on my paper work now.
2016-2-1
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

ermep01 Posted at 2016-2-2 04:19

Can't believe they would consider using one of natures wonders to try to down a drone., if the drone had Carbon Fiber props or worse that bird will be damaged for life,
What a bunch of f'ing retards! Someone needs to fight this, it is just wrong....
2016-2-1
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294016 ft
United States

Remember team. Taking down a legally flying aircraft is punishable by a 2 million dollar fine and 25 years in jail if convicted.

the FAA declaring our drones as Aircraft has given us some protection and enforcement options.
2016-2-1
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

That is good news, unfortunately there are those idiots flying in areas they should not be and i am all for them being taken out of the sky...but not with a friggin Eagle...

Can't believe those morons would consider using one of natures wonders to try to down a drone., if the drone had Carbon Fiber props or worse that bird will be damaged for life,
What a bunch of f'ing retards! Someone needs to fight this, it is just wrong....
How can you possibly put as beautiful an animal as this in harms way...
There are numerous other ways to down the drones, they really need to reconsider as this is just wrong...
Those idiots are worth less than the square of this earth that their worthless corpse occupy...
Shame on You!!!
The manufacturers of the Drones need to be accountable as auto manufacturers have become, ie. your seat belt, air bag etc. are a prerequisite nowadays, so maybe this is what the whole GeoFence crap is all about, airports around the world will have a kill witch at their beckon call...
Tower or incoming or outbound aircraft report an unidentified flying object...
Project Geo is induced for that particular zone...
Hopefully all unidentified objects fall from sky...
That simple...
Maybe Geo makes sense after all!
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Ohh it's like a spider catching a fly....
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

ermep01 Posted at 2016-2-2 04:19

wow, this eagle is even better then the "drone- hunter"
2016-2-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mind you, that's a Syma drone the eagle took out, cheap junk. I might modify my P3 to take out those things too. Could possibly graft some spare eagle legs on the bottom of my P3, you know, the ones that got chopped off the Dutch eagles.
2016-2-1
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
United States

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-2-1 15:08
I'm guessing this is more for use in restricted places, like around airports,  maybe at borders or f ...

Your statement about airspace ownership is true for most countries.   I should have clarified that I was talking about the United States.

Here, in the US,  no one owns the airspace above their property.  It is all public owned and controlled/managed by the FAA.   As long as we fly within FAA rules and regulations , we can fly anywhere at anytime.   You are free to fly over someones property provided you follow the same rules that manned aircraft fly - especially with respect to flying in/over crowded areas and/or controlled airspace (airports, heliports, etc.).

This conflict over what people think of as their private airspace, really comes into play here in the US  when people or organizations buy a house or property near an airport, and then suddenly realize that aircraft are flying over or near their property.  They go to great lengths to get the airport shutdown.  for the most part, the FAA tells them to take a hike.  Don't like aircraft or aircraft noise - move.

In spite of this,  the FAA (and no one else) can still take you to task for flying in what they might consider unsafe or dangerous manners.

Having said this,  because of the negative perceptions and misconceptions about drone usage,  I'm very careful when flying around/over neighborhoods.   I think it would be the height of folly to fly into (or over at very  low altitude) someone's house or property.

I still hold to my statement, that if someone captures or shoots down my drone,  then I will politely ask (demand) full re-imbursement.  If not,  off to court we go.   I may start carrying my FAA Pilot License (for manned aircraft) with me - it may be useful in case I ever get into a "discussion" about drone operational legalities with anyone.

Sid
2016-2-2
Use props
afiend69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-1 21:19
Mind you, that's a Syma drone the eagle took out, cheap junk. I might modify my P3 to take out those ...

Buy some chicken feet at the chinese section and attach em
2016-2-2
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-2
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

sidtx Posted at 2016-2-3 02:47
Your statement about airspace ownership is true for most countries.   I should have clarified that ...

So is that not owned by  the FAA/Govt, if you have to follow thier rules in your "un-owned" airspace?
2016-2-2
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

sidtx Posted at 2016-2-3 02:47
Your statement about airspace ownership is true for most countries.   I should have clarified that ...

There was a case in US that concluded just recently, a Man shot down a drone a flying over his property and was taken to court, it sounds like the case was dismissed so unless you have a  really good lawyer (or possibly rules are different in different states?) you probably wouldn't get any compensation.

Also found this "United States Government has exclusive sovereignty over airspace of the United States"   so it sounds like your airspace is very much owned (What I expected from the land of zero freedoms)

And the article about the lawsuit: http://arstechnica.com/tech-poli ... -neighbor-for-1500/
2016-2-2
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

Morph1 Posted at 2016-2-2 13:28
"A Phantom is probably a lot quicker and more manoeuvrable than that monster" lol
well that was fun ...

yea,  also if you see in the video the eagle have  a little rope or net , so the eagle don't get hurt and the props stops before the eagle catch the quad
2016-2-2
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
United States

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-2-2 15:09
So is that not owned by  the FAA/Govt, if you have to follow thier rules in your "un-owned" airspa ...

It's public owned - administered and controlled by the FAA - in the same way that a federal public park is owned by all of us,  but administered by the forest service.

No matter where you are - there are rules to follow.  Even on your own land, or within your own house.  I can't use certain "pharmacueticals" on my land or within my house.  I can't beat my wife and kids within my house, etc.   I have to follow traffic laws on public roads.  Public ownership doesn't mean free-for-all.  It means responsible usage and management.

I notice that you are in NZ.  You might have missed it, but public usage of public lands is one of the huge issues here in the US right now.  That is what is at the core of the "takeover" in Oregon.  Without getting too political,  I'm one of those ("crazies") that believes that big government is starting to reach too far into my life.  While at the same time, I realize there is some need for management of shared/public resources.  Crazy - huh?

Sid

2016-2-2
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
United States

pantera989@gmai Posted at 2016-2-2 15:14
There was a case in US that concluded just recently, a Man shot down a drone a flying over his pro ...

In that drone case,  criminal charges were thrown out.  I think the drone owner is now taking the "shooter" to civil court.  

After a closer reading,  the case was thrown out of "State" court.  The states do not have control or regulation of airspace - they had no ground to stand on (legally).  The most they could have charged the shooter for was some type of firearms violation (shooting in a neighborhood, etc.).   The Feds are the ones that would have to prosecute the shooting - and that is where the drone owner is now heading.   

And as far as "sovereignty" - that's true.  not only over airspace, but also over public and private lands, roads, rivers, lakes, etc.    Sovereignty doesn't imply ownership - it means control of.  The Gov controls the airspace.  We the public still own it, and can demand changes in how it is manages.  An example of this demand for changes is when the flying community demanded then worked with the FAA and Congress to formalize  the sport pilot certificate (making it easier and cheaper to fly), and when formalizing ultralight and experimental a/c categories.

Sid
2016-2-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Morph1 Posted at 2016-2-3 06:28
"A Phantom is probably a lot quicker and more manoeuvrable than that monster" lol
well that was fun ...

"If you think you can outrun eagle with your drone you must be crazy ..."

I was not referring to the eagle, I was talking about that OctoCopter shooting out the net.
2016-2-2
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Guatemala

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-2 16:15
"If you think you can outrun eagle with your drone you must be crazy ..."

I was not referring to  ...

ooo well  but you have only one shot  , and the max speed of the quad is 16m/s , basically the same speed than the phantom.  but i think that the phantom can change directions faster than the octa quad because of the weight . i think that the chance is %50  phantom and %50 the octa . it depends of  how you control the quad
2016-2-2
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

2016-2-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GTDrone Posted at 2016-2-3 09:30
ooo well  but you have only one shot  , and the max speed of the quad is 16m/s , basically the sam ...

I would only need one shot.... And he would not see me coming with the cloaking device I have added to my P3.
2016-2-2
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-2-2 10:26
Can't believe they would consider using one of natures wonders to try to down a drone., if the dro ...

Agreed, you would think the Dutch would be up in arms about it.
2016-2-2
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

cacollins0220 Posted at 2016-2-2 11:21
Remember team. Taking down a legally flying aircraft is punishable by a 2 million dollar fine and 25 ...

Exactly!
2016-2-2
Use props
rasit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386089 ft
United States

Eagles are so protected in America that is is illegal to even possess eagle feathers. It's called the Eagle feather Law and states:
"Current eagle feather law stipulates that only individuals of certifiable Native American ancestry enrolled in a federally recognized tribe are legally authorized to obtain or possess bald or golden eagle feathers for religious or spiritual use."
Hope that trainer in the video doesn't get his eye poked out.....
2016-2-2
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

2016-2-2
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Guatemala

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-2 17:28
I would only need one shot.... And he would not see me coming with the cloaking device I have added ...

well its kind difficult to follow an object  in the air try it with your quad ,   the quad can move any were up down  one side do an other , backward forwards . but well  the person that is whatching the quads have more chance than the one is doing FPV

oo and what do you mean with that cloaking  that you add ?? can you share a picture
2016-2-3
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Guatemala

Morph1 Posted at 2016-2-2 16:57
I see a next great movie hit coming out " The War of the Drones" lol,
why not just outfit it with  ...

hahaha well i think that you didn't notice that but there are already  drones fights and stuff like that
2016-2-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GTDrone Posted at 2016-2-4 01:45
well its kind difficult to follow an object  in the air try it with your quad ,   the quad can mov ...

"oo and what do you mean with that cloaking  that you add ?? can you share a picture "

That's a joke....
2016-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules