DNG File vs. Preview
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
steffendudda
New

Norway

Hello Everybody,

can somebody please give me a hint what am I doing wrong? I Have taken pictures in the RAW (DNG) Format with my Phantom 3 Professional of some northern lights. On the I Pad the Picture looks like that.

But when I then open up the DNG File in Adobe Light Room it looks like that:

I can see the original for a short moment also in Lr but then it changes to something like a "negative". Is there a feature in light room I need to activate to see the correct picture?
IMG_0027.jpg

Lr

Lr
2016-2-1
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Thats crazy bizarre.  Have you tried going to develp and then hit the RESET button at the bottom?  That will reset any develop settings that may be applying.

I shoot raw+jpeg and they all look fine in LR for me.
2016-2-1
Use props
steffendudda
New

Norway

Hi,

Yes I didn’t make any changes in Lr to the picture. I can also open up the DNG file with Photodirector7 but same result. Still for a short period (half a second) I see the correct picture also there and then it changes to the above picture. So I don't think it has anything to do with my setting in Lr.
But thanks for the help.
2016-2-1
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

It might be a corrupt RAW file.  The first picture you see briefly is a jpg contained within the RAW DNG file which is used as a preview until the actual RAW file is processed.  I think the iPad uses the embedded jpg as well.

If you can link to the original DNG file I'd be happy to have a look at it.
2016-2-1
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Clicking the reset will force a reset and re-read of the DNG.  If there was a corrupt XMP sidecar the reset will clear that.
2016-2-1
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Maybe upload the RAW image somewhere for us to download, that way we can tell fi the file is the problem, or your version of lightroom.
2016-2-1
Use props
steffendudda
New

Norway

Hi,  thx for the offer
DJI_0018.DNG
let's just hope that the pictures are not lost :-) and that I'm doing something wrong.
2016-2-2
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

steffendudda Posted at 2016-2-2 08:13
Hi,  thx for the offer
DJI_0018.DNG
let's just hope that the pictures are not lost :-) and that I'm  ...

I have the same result I'm afraid.  Running it through Adobe DNG converter also produces the same purple image.
2016-2-2
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It might be worth running the SD card through a data recovery program to see if you can recover the file, since it could just be a corrupt card.  Do that before adding more images or formatting the card.  Try different programs as well as some work better than others.
2016-2-2
Use props
steffendudda
New

Norway

BIG THX for your help so I guess I just have to declare this as a lost case :-(. Since I shot about 10 pictures --> all look similar in Lr I just have to wait till another polar lights night come up. Any suggestions to avoid this behavior of my P3P?
2016-2-2
Use props
steffendudda
New

Norway

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-2 09:44
It might be worth running the SD card through a data recovery program to see if you can recover the  ...

Since then I took some normal JPEG and MP4 on this SD Card and all are as they are supposed to bee so I do not think it has anything to do with the card.
2016-2-2
Use props
steffendudda
New

Norway

I just found another post that might be related http://forum.dji.com/thread-36454-1-1.html  or what do you think? Firmware 1.6 might be the problem?
2016-2-2
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

steffendudda Posted at 2016-2-2 08:59
I just found another post that might be related http://forum.dji.com/thread-36454-1-1.html  or what  ...

Do some more testing before you even fly - firstly, format the SD card in the camera, using the app.
You could do a camera reset too just in case something is incorrectly set (seems unlikely but won't hurt).
I'd also like to try at least one alternative (fast!) SD card because they are cheap enough and it is important that the card is 100% good order to correctly write very large RAW files.

The DNG format is a widely used file type that doesn't need any special codec to read it unlike some manufacturer specific RAWs e.g. canon CR2 etc.
2016-2-2
Use props
steffendudda
New

Norway

Hello Everybody I did some testing and I think the real problem is black:-) I'm not a professional when it comes to photography but look into those two examples (same place, same time, same SD Card, same P3P, just slightly different focus. One with focus on the sky, the other right on to the table. And off curse when you take pictures at night ... there is a lot of black :-) does this make sense to anyone?

focus on the sky

focus on the sky

focus on the tabel

focus on the tabel
2016-2-2
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

Have you tried the DNG cleaner application available on the DJI website under Phantom 3 / Downloads?

I've never had to use it but apparently it was designed to correct problems with the Inspire 1 camera and later the P3.

Also, I had another thought - you are not using the HDR function in the DJI GO app are you as that has produced awful results for me at sunsets?
2016-2-2
Use props
steffendudda
New

Norway

Hi,
yes I tried the DNG cleaner...  no effect . THX for the hint all pictures where taken with the HDR function :-( so I will stay away from that one.
2016-2-2
Use props
d.j.venmans
New

Netherlands

Hey,
I got the exact same problem. On other threads they talked about a software problem. Maybe we need to wait for a new update, but this really discourage me to go and shoot pictures with my Phantom 3. And yes, the HDR Function ruined all my night sky pictures as well. So for future night shooting, please do not shoot in HDR! At good light conditions it is a go, but in low light environment it is a no go to shoot in HDR.
I hope this will help you, and many others in the future. Again, NO HDR AT NIGHT!
Keep shooting and stay creative!
2016-2-2
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

It appears you have selected to highlight the under exposure areas on Lightroom histogram.

Try the following:

histogram.jpg

2016-2-2
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

d.j.venmans Posted at 2016-2-3 02:20
Hey,
I got the exact same problem. On other threads they talked about a software problem. Maybe we n ...

Instead of HDR you can shot AEB mode (3 or 5 pictures with different exposure) and make your own HDR file with more tune options.
2016-2-2
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

steffendudda Posted at 2016-2-2 18:10
Hi,
yes I tried the DNG cleaner...  no effect . THX for the hint all pictures where taken with the H ...

Yes the HDR picture mode is awful, stick with 3 or 5 exposure bracketing and handle in post. I missed a great sunset one evening back in May when I first got my P3 thanks to the HDR mode.
2016-2-2
Use props
Daan
New

Netherlands

Juliano Cruz Posted at 2016-2-2 19:47
Instead of HDR you can shot AEB mode (3 or 5 pictures with different exposure) and make your own H ...

Thanks, I will shoot in the AEB mode!
2016-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules