Travelling with the P3?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ElMarto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24229 ft
Canada

Hi,

I do travel a lot for business and now that I am completely hooked on flying that new P3A, I can already predict I'll want to bring it with me more often than not. So I'm curious as to what have been your experiences of travelling with a drone so far, and by that I mean the practical and logistical things about flying (both nationally and internationally): how to transport it on the plane (check-in? carry-on?), what sort of case you are using, theft protection, etc. And of course any stories you may have flying it in another country would probably be exciting and interesting as well ;)

Thanks in advance!

ElMarto
2016-2-1
Use props
steffendudda
New

Norway

Hi,

I'm using the official hard backpack http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-hardshell-backpack-dji and off curse a non-official case. Both carry on with the backpack and check in with the case .. so far no problems on any airport in Europe if you are friendly and explain some details to the security staff if they ask:-).  The case is my preferred way because normally I have other electronical devices (notebook , IPad etc.) for the carry on. But please be aware that in some countries it might not be allowed to fly  the P3A and therefore security may play dirty.
2016-2-1
Use props
jonscott82
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm UK based and have taken mine on several international flights around Europe with no problems. I have a hard shell backpack for it which holds a P3P, 3 Batteries, charger etc. I would never dream of putting it in hold luggage, it won't be insured, its way to fragile and putting Lipo batteries in the hold is a major no no (can cause fires). I've had no problems with airpor security, they often want to check it over but as long as your polite and just ask them nicely to take extra care with it they will likely be fine. In some of the smaller airports in places like Romania they have been really interested and ask me about flying it etc. I also always store it under the seat in front of me as I'm a little over cautious and don't want some one smashing their bag or duty free into in the overhead.
2016-2-1
Use props
jonscott82
lvl.4
United Kingdom

P.S flying it in Romania was a lot of fun, if you want to see the video here you go: https://youtu.be/8mwpRFuTA_M
2016-2-1
Use props
ElMarto
lvl.2
Canada

Thank you both for the input so far! Sounds like I'll have to order the backpack now
2016-2-1
Use props
ElMarto
lvl.2
Canada

jonscott82 Posted at 2016-2-2 07:16
P.S flying it in Romania was a lot of fun, if you want to see the video here you go: https://youtu.b ...

Wow, that is beautiful. The drone's movements are so fluid. Thanks for sharing!
2016-2-1
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

take all batteries and the rc unit with you in carry on luggage.  check the bird and the rest of the gear in a sturdy case.  have fun.
2016-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules