Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

You do not see this everyday!!  

Check this video out,  yah I know it is not in English  but you will get the idea

Rich

2016-2-1
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

That goes beyond offensive. Sure an eagle will survive an impact with s small toy or phantom, but it would be critically injured if struck by an Inspire or similar sized craft. Just awful.
2016-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-1 20:36
That brings a new meaning to the term "bird-strike" !!

Do you deliberately go scouring the weird co ...

I saw this pop up on the news and thought it was a way media can push there weird negative drone agenda. The straps on the eagles talons must somehow protect the bird.

Hey, I love eagles and flew helicopter for the fish and game dept. They hired me to fly around the nesting areas so they could count the big birds  and count the young!!

Rich
2016-2-1
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Yeah, Id say that is defiantly the wrong tool for the job.

Putting a Eagle's health at stake is ridiculous, we have lots of technology in place already that could make quick work of these consumer grade drones. everything from signal Jammers to GPS hacks.  
I just don't see the benefit...
in  short within the  next decade i do see local police departments having  signal jammer's  on hand... the Eagle thing is far fetched.
2016-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-2-1 20:50
That goes beyond offensive. Sure an eagle will survive an impact with s small toy or phantom, but it ...

Hey Farnk

I do not think they are putting the eagle in harms way. My German is very rusty so I am not sure what training they go through. See the straps hanging from the talons .... this must do something.

Rich
2016-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

This is another drone catcher used in Japan

Rich
2016-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AlaskanTides Posted at 2016-2-1 21:23
Yeah, Id say that is defiantly the wrong tool for the job.

Putting a Eagle's health at stake is ri ...

jammers would make more sense and I hope this does not happen. No one will want to put the 5K aircraft in the air and watch it get trashed

Rich
2016-2-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-1 21:27
Those straps hanging from the talons are called "jesses" and are standard equipment in falconry.

I did not know this ....I thought they put these to protect the eagle, so  they may as well use chains then. I do not like the idea of the eagle putting his talons into the props...!

Rich
2016-2-1
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-1 20:31
jammers would make more sense and I hope this does not happen. No one will want to put the 5K airc ...

I agree..... but unfortunately, from a an efficiency stand point  Jammers or the way to go.

In an emergency situation I certainly don't expect law enforcement to  chase a drone with another drone all the while utilizing a net.

in certain situations, especially considering a possible  loss of life, 5k can be the cheaper alternative.

I think that in  the end it all comes back to accountability and common since .. don't fly over the white house, nor near airports or fires, then  technology such as jammers will not be needed....
Those who really want to do bad things will find a way to shield against the Jammers.  
Just like the use of radar spured radar detection...  its always a chess game.
Regardless putting an eagle in jeopardy, isn't a realistic solution

http://www.digitaltrends.com/coo ... ons-anti-drone-gun/
2016-2-1
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Jammers are dangerous and can cause serious injury or death. Same reason at this time that we don't have them installed in motor vehicles. I'm just wondering, what is wrong with this world and look how technology has changed things. Using a live falcon or an eagle, that is horrible and then using another drone to take down a drone. Well… they haven't seen me flying….   Top Gun Pilot School for drones coming soon!  
2016-2-1
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-2 16:08
If your comment was in response to my jest, Farnk, I'm sorry if it was offensive. Do you think I sho ...

No, all good PK - I was horrified that such a beautiful creature could be put so obviously in harms way like that. Enrique Inglesias almost lost a finger to the Inspire, an Eagle's legs would be easily shattered if not torn right off.

2016-2-2
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-2 16:24
Hey Farnk

I do not think they are putting the eagle in harms way. My German is very rusty so I am ...

I'd respectfully disagree - An Eagle would stand little to no chance against a set of Inspire rotors!
There is no value in this beyond a grab for press - These people would be charged with animal endangerment and abuse in a civilised country.
2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-2 13:28

https://youtu.be/RKvf_gpVVU4

Nice, but with that flight time you will not catch anything
2016-2-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I thought this was going to happen to me last fall when an eagle went after my inspire 1 pro, it really something to be aware of especially around barn swallows they will attack in many numbers.
2016-2-2
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

It would be cool to be able to capture a trained eagles flight side by side (without hurting it)

But I have to also agree that an Inspire 1 or other high end aerial products would cause severe harm to an intercepting Eagle / Bird. But that does not mean it wont stop them. I've had tiny little swallows get very territorial when I was flying over a lake. I respected the space and flew to another area.

A good idea would be to train the Eagles to hold rocks ( string, wire, water bucket) and simply drop them down onto the UAV / UAS / Drone
2016-2-2
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

http://vimeo.com/152614223
2016-2-2
Use props
keithh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22395 ft
United States

Check this out. Sorry for the commercial, couldn't find the original .

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch ... -tower-413235267884

This is way cool...
Keith
2016-2-2
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-2 06:28

https://youtu.be/RKvf_gpVVU4

Well everyone can do this to capture amazon drones when they start their delivery............amazon will have fun
2016-2-2
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Its said that eagles and similar birds like to attack drones anyway. Honestly I have big concerns flying around a castle where they have bird shows or even just a bird squadron stationary. I think its more dangerours for my drone as for the bird I dont think a eagle will get harmed bringing down an Inspire. There have been such cases reported and the eagle didnt take any damage. Done forget the Inspire motors do stop since Fw 1.3 if they hit something.  I dont know any cases this did happen with owned eagles until now but basically the owner could be hold responsible as long as the drone flight was within legal parameters.

I am sure some accidents will happen in Europe when more drones are sold - they are fortunately still very rare or unexperienced pilots crash them very soon anyway - as there are many castles with birds and I am sure not everyone research this before flying like I do to possibly not cross their way.
2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-2-2 00:33
No, all good PK - I was horrified that such a beautiful creature could be put so obviously in harm ...

I agree. This is a real stupid idea to use eagles to catch drones!

Dave
2016-2-2
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-2 12:08
Swallows??? Wow. I wouldn't have expected that. Were they nesting at the time?

Seagulls are big b ...

I'm not sure, but they kept diving toward the inspire 1 and were being super vocal.

And yeah seagulls are pretty crazy haha
2016-2-2
Use props
keithh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22395 ft
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-2 16:01
Wow. That really was pretty awesome.

Really great to see the bird looking around in flight. What  ...

Paul,

Maybe more of a DHP.

Keith
2016-2-3
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

teamnest1 Posted at 2016-2-2 16:14
I'm not sure, but hey kept diving toward the inspire 1 and were being super vocal.

And yeah seag ...

From my Helicopter experience, Eagles hate the sound of spinning rotors and love to attack the sound (especially helicopters). Always keep this in mind when flying near large birds. A large Eagle could take down a full size Helicopter not alone killing the eagle!!

Not a good idea to push your luck.
Rich
2016-2-3
Use props
ageelectrical
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Let's hope if a eagle try's to down a inspire it's not  using carbon fibre blades as it would take off both feet and probable chop it in half no matter what the Falons are protected by, utterly stupid thing to try,they should be prosecuted for endangering a protected animal
I actually think they should try catching one themselves with their hands before trying with a eagle or any other bird  maybe after loosing a couple of fingers they will rethink this idiotic stupid idea. Their are some really  THICK people around
2016-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules