Auto Pan
3007 9 2016-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gherd
lvl.2

A feature that would be very handy is an auto pan feature.  I can imagine the feature being implemented one of two different ways:

1.  In the DJI GO app, create a control that when enabled rotates the drone at a preset (user definable) rate until stopped.

2.  Through the remote, by pushing down or pulling up on the left hand stick, the stick no longer springs back to center when released.  There could be a series of stops (clicks) as you move it further left or right.

I know I can achieve something similar by using Point of Interest however, this requires you to move off center and also requires a little setup to get working.  
2016-2-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is what the Inspire is for. The panning helps out a lot for the camera operator.
I don't think there would ever be  that feature.
2016-2-2
Use props
gherd
lvl.2
United States

Too bad.  As an amateur photographer, the inspire is out of my price range.  But with such a great camera on the Phantom, control wise, it really seems to be the only thing missing.  Its not real easy to get fluid pans.. I am not referring to a pan feature on the Phantom camera but rather the ability to spin the drone at a specific speed..
2016-2-2
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

You gave the answer yourself. Use the POI if you want a perfect PAN. Cetaman pointed this out recently on this post Using POI to PAN. As you know you just need to shift off a few meters from the axis to get it to work. I prefer to do pans manually, but the POI PAN is perfect and can be quite slow if required.
Good flying!
2016-2-3
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

You could use a variation of the orbit technique that uses a stip of card with a hole in it for the stick to do a constant pan -

2016-2-3
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

I accidentally did an auto-pan one day - using the POI feature. Set everything up as if you were going to create a POI effect, but aim the camera pretty much straight out.

When you get the Phantom going, it won't circle a given object - it will "circle" a theoretical spot in the air. The scenery beyond that spot is what you'll be shooting video of. By using the POI feature, you can control the arc and speed of the pan.

Don't try to "orbit" too quickly, or you'll possibly see part of the landing gear or a prop arm in the video. Also, don't make the diameter of the POI too big.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2016-2-3
Use props
gherd
lvl.2

Yes, the POI works but requires setup.  I just thought that a modification to the joystick would be an easy change.  I have a small helicopter and the left stick is spring loaded like on the Phantom's.  If you push down on the stick, it disengages the spring so the stick stays where you move it to.  This allows for instant, set pan (rotate) speeds.  I have been using POI.  
2016-2-3
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

gherd Posted at 2016-2-3 03:16
Yes, the POI works but requires setup.  I just thought that a modification to the joystick would be  ...

Aloha gherd,

Nice thread you have going here!  Sorry I am a day or two late for the festivities.  Like you, I am constantly in pursuit of the perfect pan.  POI is the smoothest PAN I have been able to get so far, but I am still working on it.  Maybe DJI-Ken can confirm that the algorithms used for POI compensate for even the steadiest thumb in a wind while POI or PANning.  If there is any wind at all, my steadiest manual pans encounter a pause jerk.  

But, sdharris had some good input with Barton's video about using a card / box top to hold the stick for really good pans.  I think a tongue depressor type of wide, flat stick for the yaw stick might work even better.  The P3P and P3A controllers also have a display holder that has a narrow long gap between it and the controller body and the body itself is slightly curved which put together will allow a nice even pressure to be applied to the wooden stick to hold the yaw stick steady in the pan or POI.  The control stick "crowns" even come off completely so there can be very little slop at that end if you drill a small diameter hole in the wooden prop and screw the crowns back on.  If you do it right, the crown spindle could be used to tension the whole thing.  The wood also has just enough friction on the plastic body of the controller to help hold things in place.  It will never be as good as the algorithms, but it may be a good improvement.

Mahalo guys!  You got my creative juices flowing again on getting the yaw stick control tightened up.

Aloha and Drone On!

2016-2-4
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes, the POI works but requires setup.  I just thought that a modification to the joystick would be  ...

Aloha gherd,

Here is the PAN device I described above.  A little different but it works well.  Now to test it!

This Pan Device can stabilize the Yaw Stick of the Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional remote controller. It is made up of an ice cream wooden "spoon" 1/16th inch thick and cut so it does not interfere with the directional stick on the right. A small hole just large enough for the Yaw Stick stem (5/32") is drilled to reduce slack in the Yaw Stick. The whole wooden "spoon" is covered in painter's tape (masking tape) to improve friction. Screwing the spindle of the Yaw Stick (just below the "crown") allows you to increase or reduce tension due to the curvature of the controller body.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-2-4
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aloha gherd,

OK, I tested it today.  The weather has been so nice lately, I have been a flying maniac!  Here is a video of the ascent using vertical waypoints and the PAN device for yaw.  This is the first try with the device.

When I got to the top, I started to mess around with manipulating it.  I was surprised at how well it did what you mentioned you wanted which means you had a good idea for a real need.  The yaw now has just enough resistance to steady movements, yet has almost no appreciable effect on throttle.  You should make one.  They are easy.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules