Quickest Realtime h.264 video editing software?
1551 8 2016-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dennylajeunesse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 186526 ft
Canada

Besides Edius, what other software is quick and smooth when editing h.264video?  

I like Edius for its speed and real time capabilities but i do t really like its color correction plugins. While you can do powerful things with them i prefer the CC tools of Avid and Davinci Resolve.  Neither of which handle h.264 media very well without transcoding to a less playback intensive codec.

What handles h.264 well and has decent fx/cc tools?  How is Premiere CC these days?

I need something for quickly cutting and grading footage without waiting hours for transcoding into an intermediary codec.

2016-2-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Go Pro Studio is good for quick and dirty edits, but no grading. However it is free.
2016-2-2
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

Anything that can use a GPU to accelerate processing will work, they will all be essentially the same after that. Premiere and Resolve can both utilize the GPU for processing, the later of which is much easier to setup, depending on your card.

The hardware will probably have a much greater effect then the software you use.
2016-2-2
Use props
dennylajeunesse
lvl.1
Canada

I was going to switch from Edius to Premiere Pro because I'd like to centralize my workflow and PP has some nice features, but...  the damn mercury engine will NOT work for me with CUDA enabled and most footage of nay type will play with dropped frames if a lut is applied, or hell if I stare at it wrong.  Apparently a lot of people have this issue and it doesn't matter if your card is a 6gb titan.  Adobe doesn't seem to know why this effects some users but not others.  Anyway.. back to Edius I go.  I can edit 8 cameras h.264 no problems.  Just wish their CC had a better interface.
2016-2-12
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

dennylajeunesse Posted at 2016-2-13 15:25
I was going to switch from Edius to Premiere Pro because I'd like to centralize my workflow and PP h ...

Did you add your cards to the "supported cards" txt file?

Adobe only support about dozen cards, which are stored in a txt file in the installation files, I had to manually add my card to it as it isn't an supported card (GTX980TI 6GB) and after that it works perfectly.
2016-2-12
Use props
dennylajeunesse
lvl.1
Canada

CC 2015 isn't supposed to need that anymore.  As I understand it, if your card wasn't "supported" you couldn't even select CUDA.  I can and everything is a mess.  Even things that do not use CUDA at all  lose frames if CUDA is enabled.  Better playback on software only.

Yet, Prelude and Media Encoder use cuda fine.
2016-2-12
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

dennylajeunesse Posted at 2016-2-13 15:34
CC 2015 isn't supposed to need that anymore.  As I understand it, if your card wasn't "supported" yo ...

Well that's something at-least (I'm using CS6), shame that it doesn't work for everyone though. Do you know if it is specific cards/OS's not working, or completely random?
2016-2-12
Use props
dennylajeunesse
lvl.1
Canada

Seems to be an issue with using multiple cards on a system.  Adobe doesn't say much.
2016-2-13
Use props
dayrepz
New

Macao

This simple  hd video editing software offers cut, merge and format conversion features. It supports Intel Core, NVIDIA CUDA and AMD to generate faster video conversion speed.
2016-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules