App freeze / signal loss, P3A
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

Had a somewat scary flight just now.  Was flying in P-GPS mode about 1,200 feet away at about 300 feet altitude, descended to 250 feet and something happened to the app where it just froze and my control inputs didn't register on the FPV or map.  

The one thing I didn't notice is if the controller had a red light or a  green light.  If the controller gets a red light,  should the copter immediately RTH?  I figured the copter would RTH once it lost signal so I spent several tense minutes waiting for it.

In the meantime I tried reorienting the remote and restarting the app, no help.

Finally when the copter didn't come back for a couple minutes I drove ~1000 feet over and found the copter, hovering very well in plain sight.  Still no signal even after restarting the app several times.  Then I thought to disconnect the USB cable and connect it again, that got me signal and perfect control back.  I brought it to me for a landing right as the battery RTH kicked in, which I canceled successfully.

So it seems like the app or app/controller link was the problem.  If the controller is talking to the app but then loses communication with the app, does the controller or copter care?    And is having to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable a common issue?

App is 2.5.x, Samsung Galaxy S4, copter is P3A.

2016-2-4
Use props
bilal-uendemir_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 343461 ft
Austria

nope, you did not lost the rc signal. Only fpv signal. If you do not know how to initiate RTH, shut your controller off and rth will kick automaatically in
2016-2-4
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

I lost map position too, is that included in the FPV signal?  I yawed the copter but the map didn't reflect the heading change.

2016-2-4
Use props
nix240z
lvl.2

United States

that is one advantage of flying with Flytrex Live 3g. If you lose video signal/feed then you can look on the flytrex app and fly the quad back using their app, since it shows the quad location in real time on a map.
2016-2-4
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

Unless the app crashes.  I'm thinking my malfunction was the app or the USB link.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sure you only lost video and not RC signal. It was more likely that fact that you are using a S4, the minimum requirement for the app to work correctly is a S5.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

bilal-uendemir_ Posted at 2016-2-5 03:57
nope, you did not lost the rc signal. Only fpv signal. If you do not know how to initiate RTH, shut  ...

A much better way to initiate a RTH is to press the RTH button on the RC.
2016-2-4
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-5 04:44
I'm sure you only lost video and not RC signal. It was more likely that fact that you are using a S4 ...

You're probably right.  The manual says a chime should sound when RC is disconnected from the aircraft, and I didn't hear a chime.  Edit:  Actually I just tried a test, turned on the RC then the copter, got green status light on the controller.  Then turned copter off.  That turned the RC status light red, but no chime.

I should have pressed the RTH button rather than trying to get the app to reconnect.  Was hoping to salvage the flight.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-5 05:02
You're probably right.  The manual says a chime should sound when RC is disconnected from the aircr ...

In the future, just remember if you ever lose sight of your aircraft from LOS or the app, use the RTH button (as long as you set it up correctly for your flying area)
Also, you should still be able to have the map view and just turn the aircraft towards you and follow the line home.
2016-2-4
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-5 05:13
In the future, just remember if you ever lose sight of your aircraft from LOS or the app, use the  ...

I did have RTH set up at a sufficient height, it is always on my pre-flight checklist.

The map was not updating and that was the first thing I noticed.  Exiting and restarting the app multiple times didn't help.  Only thing that got the app to say it was connected was disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable to my phone and relaunching the app.  All was well then.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-5 05:22
I did have RTH set up at a sufficient height, it is always on my pre-flight checklist.

The map wa ...

If you need an inexpensive device, the NVIDIA Shield K work very well.
2016-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules