Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Image Capture in Video Mode
2022 21 2016-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi all,

This might be a dumb question but is it possible to take a photograph whilst simultaneously recording video?

2016-2-4
Use props
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks Paul.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

You can get a reasonably good frame grab if you were shooting in 4K.

Dave
2016-2-4
Use props
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks Dave.
2016-2-4
Use props
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Chaps,

What (Mac compatible) software would you recommend for grabbing a still from video?

I only have the default iMovie software & I can't see how to do it using that.

Many thanks,

Mick.
2016-2-5
Use props
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-5 21:05
I would look for a piece of software that transcodes. You will be looking for one which will transc ...

Brilliant,

Cheers Paul.
2016-2-5
Use props
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-5 21:05
I would look for a piece of software that transcodes. You will be looking for one which will transc ...

Ehm, do you have any links to a tutorial on how to do that Paul?

I've just spent an hour trying to figure it out or find a tutorial on how to extract stills but I'm none the wiser!
2016-2-5
Use props
wes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1338891 ft
United States

I use Lightroom to capture frames from the video.... You can get way more shots this way because taking photos takes more time.
2016-2-6
Use props
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-5 23:20
Which piece of software are you attempting to use ?

What you should be attempting to do is to tra ...

Thanks very much Paul,

I'll try to figure it out before taking up your time on the phone.

Really appreciate the offer though.
2016-2-6
Use props
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

wes@pillarmarke Posted at 2016-2-6 20:09
I use Lightroom to capture frames from the video.... You can get way more shots this way because tak ...

Thanks Wes,

I'll have a look at that & see if it's easier to understand for a video virgin.
2016-2-6
Use props
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-6 22:49
Don't feel that it's an imposition. It's often easier to explain something to someone over the pho ...

Sorry Paul,

I've just seen your PM & (I think ) I've replied.

Brilliant forum, amazing users but not the best software!
2016-2-6
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-2-4 17:44
You can get a reasonably good frame grab if you were shooting in 4K.

Very true Dave and then you can jazz it up in Lightroom.
2016-2-10
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mick.briggs Posted at 2016-2-5 15:38
Chaps,

What (Mac compatible) software would you recommend for grabbing a still from video?

Final Cut Pro in my opinion is the best to work with. See Jim Hare's Tutorials. If you decide to get FCP check out Final Cut Pro Effects plugins.
2016-2-10
Use props
mick.briggs
lvl.2

United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2016-2-10 13:26
Final Cut Pro in my opinion is the best to work with. See Jim Hare's Tutorials. If you decide to g ...

I purchase Final Cut Pro X a couple of nights ago thanks, seems easy enough to achieve what I want.

I've even had a dabble at editing videos

2016-2-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

rodger Posted at 2016-2-10 05:23
Very true Dave and then you can jazz it up in Lightroom.

Yes. Having some skill with Lightroom and Photoshop can make all the difference!

Dave
2016-2-10
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

The simplest, easiest, and the best way.....do this.....I do this for video thumbnails and other images on a Mac..... they are very good, and do the same thing as a frame grabber.........Just play the video and pause it on the section you want to grab the frame of......then simply press Shift , Command and the number 4 all at the same time and your cursor will change into a cross hair....... put the cross hair in one corner of the still you want and then hold the left mouse button down while draging the selection across the area you want and let go.....it will now drop the picture you selected on your desktop.....copy and past it where ever from there........like this one I just grabbed from the top of this thread.......or the other off the home page.....click on them for a better look.

shift+command+4

shift+command+4
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 3.26.47 PM.png
2016-2-10
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Actually I just grabbed this of a random Inspire video I had on this computer...... sorry....ordinary subject material, and its been reduced to forum size....so they are much better than this on your own machine.
I.ve got every imaging software made for Mac I recon....both Video and Stills.. lol....... this is as good as any of them, and in some cases better because you crop as you go....

2016-2-10
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-11 17:50
For speed and efficiency if I just want an image for the forum, I'll screen-grab the computer whils ...

Not me.....I am always out of shot lol.....way to ugly to put my poor camera through that pain haha
Happy to help where I can mate......I have been on Mac for years now....I think we have about 30 of them and all the iThings as well...phones , tablets etc
Was on PC's but found the Mac system better for our needs.
Yeah it was just a random Video from a Camping trip we do each year with a few hunting mates and their families.
We get together as a family weekend and have a great time doing family stuff with the kids and everything...love it
We had to put the pool liner up to block the cold wind last time as you can see....brrrrrr, not as cold as your picture looks though.....I am a sook when it comes to cold....I bail well before my batteries do.The bloke in the foreground is Baz....and trust me, he would never waist a beer haha........never seen a bloke that can drink as much rum as he can with no affect on him at all.
2016-2-10
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-11 19:29
I've got four batteries in the charging station at the moment. Hoping for an hour's flying today i ...

I recon that Controller cover will be the bees knees where you are.....back pack may need a thermos holder for some hot coffee
2016-2-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mick.briggs Posted at 2016-2-10 14:14
I purchase Final Cut Pro X a couple of nights ago thanks, seems easy enough to achieve what I want ...

I think that you will be happy with it. It is very easy to use. Be sure to check Jim Hare's Tutorials out.
2016-2-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-2-10 23:11
Yes. Having some skill with Lightroom and Photoshop can make all the difference!

Dave

And a lot of fun Dave. I think that you have to pay a monthly fee now to  use Photoshop. That is a real bummer and is keeping me away from it.
2016-2-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an iPad pro and what I do is while video is playing I take a screen shot, press on power button and home button at the same time, it works very well.
2016-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules