Micro SD Card for Phantom 3 Standard invalid
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nick_b_503
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1230 ft
United States

Can formatting the micro sd card before you put in, have an affect on it being invalid?
2016-2-4
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

It shouldn't as long as it's a format the P3 supports. Have you tried formatting it from the Go app with the card in the aircraft?
2016-2-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

In almost every situation where a card is used to store images, the manufacturer recommends you format the card in the cameras, and DJI is no different.

If you format it in a computer, there can be as many as 5 different format schemes to choose from, which is the right one? But put it in the camera and format it and the camera chooses the scheme it requires - simples.

As for the validity thing, in other cameras, when a card is inserted, the camera often does a small test write to see if the card is OK and also fast enough. If not, it declares the card 'invalid'. Now at this point, no-one from DJI has spoken up to indicate if their system does this test, but there are strong indications that they do.

So if you get a 'card invalid' message, then it is a pretty strong indication that the card is no good, get another. I always recommend the Sandisk Extreme series, known good quality and suitable for the Phantom.
2016-2-4
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Yes, if the card is being used in a different device than the one formatting the card. It's best to format the card(s) in the camera.

Now with this said, I ran into an issue where my P3 Pro would not except one of my cards...no matter how many times I reformatted in my P3 Pro. The card works perfect in all my other devices.
2016-2-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-5 10:51
Yes, if the card is being used in a different device than the one formatting the card. It's best to  ...

Fine, but the issue is what speed demands your 'other devices' make on the card. Recording 4K video in the P3 camera is a lot more speed intensive than you would think. That's why I suspect they do a quick speed test on the card when you insert it, and if it fails reports it as invalid.
2016-2-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

1. You need a good SD (at least class 10)
2. Try to format it in DJI Go App
2016-2-4
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-5 09:26
Fine, but the issue is what speed demands your 'other devices' make on the card. Recording 4K vide ...

I'm confused: The OP is talking about having an invalid card error, not a speed or quality issue. At least that is what i got from their post.

OP's post: "Can formatting the micro sd card before you put in, have an affect on it being invalid?"

Read and Write issues are something you run into once the card is working, not prior to and preventing the card from working. You should be able to place any micro card into the unit that is of the same class and use the camera, now whether it writes fast enough for 4k is another story.
2016-2-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-5 20:06
I'm confused: The OP is talking about having an invalid card error, not a speed or quality issue.  ...

Not these days. Several camera manufacturers test the card to see if it will work. It the test fails, they issue an 'Invalid Card' warning. Now I don't know if DJI do this test, but I am surmising they do because of the warning they issue. Unfortunately DJI are not good at explaining the meaning of their error messages.

It has nothing to do with read or write permissions, it is a test to see if the card is capable of writing fast enough to handle the 4K files. Better to knoew before you get airborne that the card will not be fast enough for the job.
2016-2-5
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-6 06:05
Not these days. Several camera manufacturers test the card to see if it will work. It the test fail ...

If you say so but my invalid card error message came from a P2 V+ (non 4K camera) and I only buy professional grade memory cards. So my card was more than sufficient. I installed another card of the exact specs and everything worked fine.

This is the very first time I have experienced a invalid card error and I have an assortment of cameras, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympia, DJI, Go Pro etc.
2016-2-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-6 09:54
If you say so but my invalid card error message came from a P2 V+ (non 4K camera) and I only buy p ...

Could also be a counterfeit card, plenty of those around at the moment.
2016-2-5
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-6 06:58
Could also be a counterfeit card, plenty of those around at the moment.

That cards works flawless in all my other devices including 4k. I buy all my gear from the same places, since I have a Federal Tax ID and they keep my info on file.

I just think it's a glitch in DJIs software. I don't think it's a huge issue, I've only heard it it happening twice.
2016-2-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-6 10:55
That cards works flawless in all my other devices including 4k. I buy all my gear from the same pl ...

Yes, sounds like a glitch.
2016-2-5
Use props
Sprchgjeep
New

United States

Getting the same issue.  Using both a Sandisk and Lexar cards.  App says unable to format as well.  Multiple cards.  Lexar 32GB High Performance 300x microSDHC UHS1 card just got it.
2017-3-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sprchgjeep Posted at 2017-3-8 18:11
Getting the same issue.  Using both a Sandisk and Lexar cards.  App says unable to format as well.  Multiple cards.  Lexar 32GB High Performance 300x microSDHC UHS1 card just got it.

The lexar cards are not a good choice, some of them are just not fast enough. The best bet is a Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro series.
2017-3-8
Use props
Sprchgjeep
New

United States

I have been dealing with DJI support and listed the card and they have not made mention of the card being the issue.  However I was just reading on the forum that a Extreme Ultra was a good option so ordered one of those.  Will see if this corrects it.
2017-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules