Failing V3 P2V+ the reason behind it all
2193 9 2015-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
news
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1607267 ft
Spain

With all the reports around us of the V3's falling out of the sky or upgraded P2 with new ESC's and motors having the same problem.

I do not think its a "thin wire" issue, though this is a smaller problem.

Quite simply I think its a problem to with an incompatibility with the ESC and the new 2312 motors.

The motors are driven by the ESC's in a 3 phase way with activation of each coil inside the motor being energised in turn 120 degrees apart to give the direction and drive of the motor.

The control circuits need to know the position of the motor so it can correctly drive the next coil required to turn the motor.
To do this the position is determined by back EMF and sensed and reported to the CPU (Silicon General F330).

However with the higher power motor the detection of the position is getting misinturpreted so the mosfets are being energised incorrectly.

This has the effect of huge amounts of extra current being forced into the motor at the wrong time causing, either
A stutter of flight with minor loss of control for a couple of seconds.
A shut down of the motor and inadvertent reversal of motor or full stop, causing the propeller to unscrew and fly off.
A catastrophic failure of the mosfets due to excess currents.

The last 2 and possibly the first can cause the quad to destroy itself as we have seen.

The reason for the misinterpretation of motor positioning could be software or component tolerances of the ESC.
2015-1-4
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I believe what would be of more practical use is how to mitigate or eliminate the motor/ESC failures.  For that I will pass along the recommendations of user na5n (And for additional background of the issue I would encourage everyone to read the following threads that contain an excellent analysis by na5n regarding ESC failure and wiring! ! ! !
Phantom 2 motor failure
Causes of motor/ESC failures. Test results

1. Don't EVER, EVER, EVER let your spinning props strike anything.  EVER.  It will blow the ESC.
    Trees, shrubs, grass ... anything that will come in contact with your spinning props.

2. From here on out, I will hand catch my P2V+ for landings.  (I practiced today.  After 2-3 times, it becomes duck soup).

3. I do not intend on getting prop guards (yet), but it does certainly add to the importance of having them.
    Especially if you don't do number 2.

4. To avoid any possible rotation interruption while in flight, I will no longer conduct abrupt course or altitude changes (even though I love watching my Phantom bank on a direction reversal!).  There's the possibility that an abrupt change in direction, for which the four motor speeds are suddenly changed and redistributed, combined with prop wash, *may* cause a temporary stall in rotation triggering an ESC failure.  We all know what happens then.  I don't know that for sure, but I plan on being more conservative and "smooth" in making direction, yaw and altitude changes.  Remember, the new 2312 motors have 25% more power and 25% more torque to make impressive direction changes.

5. This certainly implies to never fly your bird out of line of sight.  There might be a tree out there to snag your prop.

6. I also recommend to separate the 3 motor wires going to the ESC board so they do not touch each other, AND ensure they are above and away from direct contact with the six MOSFET chips.  On my P2V+, the motor wiring was slightly twisted in contact with each other and resting on top of a couple of MOSFET chips, causing excessive heating of the wires.  Some simple separation and avoid the heat from the MOSFETs will go a long ways keeping the wiring in good shape.
2015-1-4
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

gil@wk.net Posted at 2015-1-5 07:25
I believe what would be of more practical use is how to mitigate or eliminate the motor/ESC failures ...

Has anyone had a wire actually melt through the shielding?
2015-1-4
Use props
Pmcdn2014
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772959 ft
United States

Why isn't this happening to everyone who has purchased and is flying a new V3 P2V+?  If all of the new ones are built with the exact same hardware configuration, logic would tell us that all of them would be going bad whether it's board/motor mismatches, thin melting wires, or whatever.  

Why does it seem to be only affecting a few new V3 flyers?
2015-1-4
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Pmcdn2014 Posted at 2015-1-5 10:24
Why isn't this happening to everyone who has purchased and is flying a new V3 P2V+?  If all of the n ...

according to some forums it is because there was a bug in the ESC Firmware, the latest ones dont have that
2015-1-4
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

That's the part we don't know. It may be that the ESCs can't handle the current demands of the new 2312 motors. Whether or not that problem can be remedied with a new ESC firmware upgrade isn't known yet. It may need different hardware. My R/C off road race trucks had pretty beefy ESCs with some pretty big heat sinks.
2015-1-4
Use props
Pmcdn2014
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772959 ft
United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-1-5 10:38
according to some forums it is because there was a bug in the ESC Firmware, the latest ones dont h ...

My V3 has ESC boards with V2.0 printed on them, not 2.1 and I've flown it about 5 or 6 full battery lengths (taking off and landing, shutting down and starting up and taking off again within each battery discharge).  I have opened it up a couple of times now and inspected the wires and all looks good.  Nothing abnormal.  

So, if the current version is the one that will keep the motor boards and/or wires from heating up and causing the motors to shut down, then am I just really lucky since I don't have version 2.1?
2015-1-8
Use props
mech
lvl.2

United States

I guess I'm lucky too. No problems after 20 flights.
2015-1-8
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

same here
2015-1-8
Use props
anthony
lvl.2
United States

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4472