4259 13 2015-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skburnett
lvl.2
Flight distance : 96014 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OK, start at the beginning, The Phantom was bought at the end of October by my Mrs for my Birthday which was the 30th decI had one pre flight, no issues what so ever, quite impressed infact, especially with the position hold at the end of the second flight the landing was not so smooth and she tipped over and the power cut out (the blades did hit one of the prop guards)

Not wanting to send the unit away to get fixed, I opened her up and acertained it was the rear left ESC board.

I ordered a new one from Buzzflyer and it was a pretty quick delivery, replaced the ESC with the new one only difference I noticed was that it did not say which version I had printed on the ESC sticker, but it did say V2 on the board itself the new one I got had V2.1 on the sticker, couldn't get through to query this so carried on with replacing, went through all the check's everything was fine, all motor's rotating, I lifted her about 10 feet off the ground everything fine, then landed her again " gently " about 5 second's after landing I noticed the right rear ESC area getting brighter with smoking and arc flashes :O I shut everything down now she won't power up, I tried powering her up while upside down looking at the LED's, 3 blink green, the rear right blink's red
then the battery switches off.

So 'm guessing it's the ESC again? guessing there might have been some damage that I couldn't see on the rear right one help, it took me a minute with a magnifying glass to see the damage to the left rear, I've ordered more ESC's

I'm hoping that is all that it is, but I have a burning questions with regards to the different ESC's i.e. V2 and the V2.1 replacement's are these still plug and play or would they require some kind of calibration?

apologies for my noobness, but we all gotta start somewhere

Positive helpful replies greatly appreciated ;)

Regards
Stuart.........
2015-1-4
Use props
ljhellmich
lvl.4

United States

Stuart,

It sounds like you are on the right track.  The 2.1 versions should be fine, plug and play.  Avoid prop strikes in the future.

Jamie
2015-1-4
Use props
ljhellmich
lvl.4

United States

Wait a minute Stuart... I reread your post and it is incomplete.  I did not see where you cast any blame for this problem on someone or something else besides your prop strike.  Please correct your post as soon as possible.
Jamie
2015-1-4
Use props
skburnett
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ok, ok, you got me, It was the Grass that was to blame
2015-1-4
Use props
ljhellmich
lvl.4

United States

Okay, there it is.

Best wishes getting back in the air soon.  I hope you get the joy from your aircraft that I get from mine.

A plan for every flight, and fly your plan.

Jamie
@@@Edit... Trying to figure out why this post jumped up to above the 3 before it, time stamps are correct.   GPS Home error?
2015-1-4
Use props
skburnett
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well thats me sorted for the next 5 flights anyway LOL BTW, if you are in the UK and are requiring spares, I highly recommend Buzzflyer, very speedy delivery service ;)

2015-1-6
Use props
humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

I accidentally put one V2(newer) ESC into my P2 with older ESC's and it did work, but it didn't fly properly. I would get a twitch once in a while and it would tilt slightly then keep going. Needless to say I changed to all 4 V2's and it's been fine since.

My Hanger
Phantom 2w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, LargeSkids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, Custom Wood Skids
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107DNon FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna &2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod

2015-1-6
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

skburnett@hotma Posted at 2015-1-7 02:19
Yeah, I have the P2 V3 and was a bit concerned as the fitted ESC'S are V2 and the new ones are V2.1  ...

Can you tell me where you got that image? I have 2312 motors in my stock version 3.0 Vision +, but the ESC's are unlabeled as in the ESC picture on the left in your image. According to the chart, the Vision + that DJI sent me has motors that are incompatible with the ESCs.
2015-1-6
Use props
skburnett
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

which image? this one?

2015-1-6
Use props
skburnett
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yeah, the image of the ESC is my P2+ V3, they are ESC 2's tho it does not state on the sticker, if you look at the far right of ESC you will see it says V2.... 2 secs

2015-1-6
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

skburnett@hotma Posted at 2015-1-7 02:41
yeah, the image of the ESC is my P2+ V3, they are ESC 2's tho it does not state on the sticker, if y ...

Word I got is that "V2.0" silk screened on the board simply represents the hardware version of the PCB. The key factor is the firmware version of the IC driver, and the only place that is found is on the white sticker next to the bar code. "V2.0" on the white sticker means firmware version 4.02, which is close but no cigar for the 2312 motors---still reports of MOSFET failures with that firmware. Current version of the ESC is "v2.1" printed on the white lable...that uses firmware version 4.06 and reportedly addresses the higher current draws of the 2312 motor. If the white sticker has NO version number, that means that it's an ESC that even predates "V2.0", and is why DJI labels your ESC (and mine) as Incompatible with the 2312 motors.

I was wanting to know if that photo you attached above was some kind of official document from DJI.
2015-1-6
Use props
skburnett
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yeah, the diagram above came with the new OEM DJI ESC's they have V2.1 on the sticker, hmmmm OK I am confused now, so disregard the V2 screened on the board? jeez, nothings simple is it LOL I'll get in touch with the suppliers and ask them about it, see if they can clarify :S

Cheers for the heads up, least I have enough to change them all out.... sigh
I was looking at the diagram and scratching my head at the time I got them, but I could not get through to the supplier as it was still the festive season, definately going to look into this further

regards
Stuart
2015-1-6
Use props
skburnett
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hmmm found this, looks like you are correct MacCool
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1822
2015-1-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

MacCool Posted at 2015-1-6 10:52
Word I got is that "V2.0" silk screened on the board simply represents the hardware version of the PCB. The key factor is the firmware version of the IC driver, and the only place that is found is on the white sticker next to the bar code. "V2.0" on the white sticker means firmware version 4.02, which is close but no cigar for the 2312 motors---still reports of MOSFET failures with that firmware. Current version of the ESC is "v2.1" printed on the white lable...that uses firmware version 4.06 and reportedly addresses the higher current draws of the 2312 motor. If the white sticker has NO version number, that means that it's an ESC that even predates "V2.0", and is why DJI labels your ESC (and mine) as Incompatible with the 2312 motors.

I was wanting to know if that photo you attached above was some kind of official document from DJI.

I wanted to bump this ancient thread for future generations and promising archeologists.  :-D

You cannot count on the printed ESC label for an accurate description of the ESC version.  My understanding is that some of the P2V+ V3 Phantoms were released with ESCs with no version number on the little white labels.  But that doesn't meant they're V1 ESCs.  If you see an ESC with no version indication on the label but it has a dark blue ink mark on the top of the large capacitor, it's V 2.0.  They came that way pre-installed on the early P2V+ V3 Phantoms from the factory.  We were warned not to use V1 ESCs with those P2V+ V3 2312 motors, but we were told V2.0 was okay.  But we later learned that there is a genuine risk of them blowing a mosfet when used with the Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 2312 motors (see the op).  This is caused with a tip-over or a crash where the props hit something and the motors try to force through the resistance.  I believe DJI then realized the problem and upgraded the ESCs to V2.1 FW on later issued P2V+ V3 Phantoms.  However, many of the retail V2.0 ESCs available today still include an advisory note in the box which indicates they are okay to use with the new motors.  And that's true provided you never tip over or crash.  If you see an ESC in a P2V+ V3 Phantom that says V2.1 on the white label, it's a V2.1, all is good, and typically it won't have an ink mark on the large capacitor.  But if you have one with a blue ink mark, it will be more apt to blow a board mosfet on a crash.  In addition, if you're buying a new ESC in a retail box, and it's a V 2.1, it will have a yellow ink mark on the large capacitor.  A V2.0 purchased new in a retail box will have a red ink mark on the large capacitor and the little white label may and may not be labeled correctly.  A V1 will have a black ink mark or no ink mark and no version indication on the little white label.  Bottom line is, the higher the version, the longer-lasting and cooler-running the ESC will be regardless of the motor.  Got all that?  Merry Christmas.  
2018-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules