Polar Pro doesn't fit.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

I need some help here.  I have a Phantom 3 advanced that I got about a week ago.  It came with the standard UV threaded lens cover as they all do.  So I ordered a set of Polar Pro filters from Amazon, but when I got them they are too big. I unthreaded the standard UV which threads nice and smooth and sits flush. When I put on the filters though, all three were so big that they just slid right over the threads. I sent them back, and ordered the same set from B&H thinking maybe I got a knock off.  When I got those though I had the same problem. I've since ordered a different brand (YKS), but again same problem.

So question is did they change the camera?  All the feedback on both styles of filters and there is no mention of them not fitting. I'm at a loss especially since the UV filter,fits so well.

2016-2-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

As I recall, the Polar Pro filters are supposed to slip on over the top of the standard filter ring, not in place of it.
2016-2-6
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

There has not been a a camera change for the p3p or advanced as im aware.The inspire x3 and osmo x3 filters are a larger thread size but it would be impossible to believe you could be sent the wrong filters on three occasions .Change your supplier is all i can suggest.I have both p3p and x3 nd filters no problem.
2016-2-6
Use props
RodB
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-7 12:57
As I recall, the Polar Pro filters are supposed to slip on over the top of the standard filter ring, ...

My polar Pro were screw on you have to remove the default lens and screw the other on , and its slightly bigger so my 3rd party gimble lock wont go over the polar pro lens now .
2016-2-6
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Have you accidently ordered standard  rather then pro/advanced  filters? The standards  slip over the camera rather then thread  in like the pro/advanced.  My polar pro filters work and fit great.
2016-2-6
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-6 22:56
Have you accidently ordered standard  rather then pro/advanced  filters? The standards  slip over th ...

I thought that too, but the package says professional/advanced and I've ordered them from both Amazon and B&H. The filter has threads on the inside, so I'm unthreading the existing UV that came with it but when I try and thread on the filter its OD is slightly bigger than the camera and the filter pulls right off.  
2016-2-7
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2016-2-7 22:28
I thought that too, but the package says professional/advanced and I've ordered them from both Ama ...

Only thing I can think of is either DJI have changed the camera thread size, or they have put the wrong filters inside the packaging, or possibly they are fake copies?

Are you able to measure the inside of the threads/and or outside diameter of the filters?
2016-2-7
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

I am starting to think that they did change the tread size, or at least the one that I got has a smaller OD.  I ordered the ND filters direct from DJI to see if these will fit it, but in measuring the OD on the camera and comparing it to both the Polar Pro and the YKS they are indeed different.  The OD on the threads for the camera is 1.150".  The ID on the supplied UV filter (Factory filter that fits) is 1.155".  The ID on the Polar Pro filters and the YKS filter are both 1.170".  So 0.015" on the diameter difference which would certainly explain why they don't fit.  What I can't figure out though is if the camera has change or the Polar Pro.  So many report that these fit good, but two sets now from different suppliers both are too big.

I was able to wrap the threads with some Teflon tape and that actually worked for getting the YKS to screw on.  Took two wraps and was kind of a pain in the butt, but it worked.  Still a mystery though.

2016-2-8
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2016-2-8 13:20
I am starting to think that they did change the tread size, or at least the one that I got has a sma ...

I was about to suggest the Teflon tape. Glad to head it worked.

I have the Polar Pros since the summer last year and zero issues so far.
2016-2-8
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-7 02:57
As I recall, the Polar Pro filters are supposed to slip on over the top of the standard filter ring, ...

I read that the polar lens filters are meant to replace the stock UV one and screw on as well the same.
2016-2-8
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Bhujang Posted at 2016-2-9 05:51
I read that the polar lens filters are meant to replace the stock UV one and screw on as well the  ...

Thats correct for the Pro/Adv. It's the ones for the standard model that slip over.
2016-2-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-8 02:34
Only thing I can think of is either DJI have changed the camera thread size, or they have put the  ...

My Polar Pro lenses work just fine, maybe they changed thread pitch or something.
I know DJI's threads have not changed.
2016-2-8
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Thanks Ken. I sent an email to polar pro, but since a competive brand is also doing the same thing it's hard to imagine that the both have changed.   I would suspect that it could be my specific camera but the UV filter fits just fine. I've ordered some DJI brand filters to see how they fit.  I am at a loss as to what to do next. I use a polarizer on my DSLR's almost exclusively so not having one in my arsenal is not going to work.  The Teflon tape works but it takes about three wraps. A pain in the ass for sure.   
2016-2-8
Use props
jorgen.kongsber
New

Norway

Hi, Gary! I just bought the official DJI ND-8 filter for my Phantom 3 Professional, and I have just the same problem. The ND and the standard UV seems identical in size, but when I try to screw the ND filter on, it just wont fit. Seems like the threading on the camera or filter is different. I have´nt found any other Phantom-users with this problem. Please reply if you found a solution.
2016-5-11
Use props
Chicago Air Dro
lvl.2

Gary and Jorgen how old are your P3s and where did you get them?
Could someone be swapping out cameras?

2016-5-12
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

I really doubt that DJI would have changed the thread OD sizes, especially this late in the game (the P3 range has been in production for over a year now and the P4 is out).

As Chicago Air Dro asks, I question the source of the P3A that you bought. Show us pictures of your UAV so we can verify that you appear to have a bona fide DJI craft.

2016-5-12
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

You DID unscrew the default filter, right?
2016-5-12
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Got mine from DJI direct.  I never did figure it out.  Ordered a set of filters right from DJI and they fit like a glove.  Yes unscrewed the default filter and screwed on the new DJI brand and they work perfectly.  Got the polar pro and a few others and all of them were too big.  Would fit right over the threads.  
2016-5-13
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Wow! that is weird!!!! I wonder if whomever u got it from sent you the wrong tyype. For example 3 standard is different than 3pro and advanced, which differ from p4.. so it's easy to not fit is somehow u got the wrong one. It kills me on amazon where I search for something, then get ready to order, and find that amazon search decided to insert one item with wrong parameters into the whole page of search results that are correct....
2016-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules