New Battery Throttle Down Firware
1524 14 2016-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

Please excuse if this has already been answered.

Does the v1.6.0.40 firmware, which throttles down the battery for winter, automatically increase battery output and aircraft performance with warmer ambient temperatures of spring and summer?

If not, I'm a little confused since there are a lot of Inspires in the southern hemisphere (reverse of N. America's seasons).

Can a DJI reprasentative please answer this for me.
2016-2-8
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-8 11:45
Is the throttling not simply based on the actual battery temperature as read by the sensors?

If so, ...

I don't know Paul. I hope you are correct.
I feel a lot of us might like to hear DJI expand on how this actually works -
2016-2-8
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-9 01:45
Is the throttling not simply based on the actual battery temperature as read by the sensors?

If so, ...

But that’s 15°C (59°F) BATTERY temperature, isn’t it Paul?
Will keeping the batteries warm and above the 15°C (59°F) threshold be ok for flight?
In other words, with the v1.6.0040 firmware, if warmed above 15°C (59°F), will flying within the operating spec of the I1 keep the battery warm enough while operating/flying?
I presume "yes", or is the battery insulation for the  TB47 or TB48 required?
2016-2-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, it will limit motor output based on the temperature of the battery. And after the battery gets up to spec temp (-10c) you should get power from the motors to equal the 5m/s climb.
2016-2-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-9 03:13
Thanks Ken.

You state that "pull" power is available at minus 10 Celsius of 5m/s.

Sorry Paul, I meant full power that's that's not really correct either because the power of the Inspire now is 5m/s.I edited.
2016-2-8
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-8 11:31
Okay... Do I now understand correctly...? At -10 Celsius, it will fly but it's throttled to 5m/s r ...

Forget about -10C, that's a storage temp limit.   Battery temps below 15C prevent motor start thanks to FW 1.6

I believe the "throttle back" works by limiting voltage drop when under load.
2016-2-9
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-9 16:34
Someone hasn't quite got their facts straight, it seems.

You're saying one thing and Ken is sayin ...

There's no doubt about it.  http://forum.dji.com/thread-38927-1-1.html

I agree: seems too warm to me.
2016-2-9
Use props
SimonMW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361263 ft

United Kingdom

15 degrees seem rather high. As Paul said, quite often our summer temps don't go above this if we are having a poor day! I would have thought 5 degrees C would be more sensible, given that this is the temperature that the DJI manuals say you should use the battery heater and battery pads.

The feature should be made optional too. A lot of people flying the Inspire are professionals and really do not need babying like this. With the Geofencing and now this over zealous battery management the Inspire is becoming more trouble than it is worth for professional use.
2016-2-10
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-10 08:55
Yes... Yes... Yes, yes! and... YES !!

... what's worse about this nannying is that the next FW do ...

Here, here!!!!!
2016-2-10
Use props
SimonMW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361263 ft

United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-10 13:55
Yes... Yes... Yes, yes! and... YES !!

... what's worse about this nannying is that the next FW do ...

I agree Paul. Myself and a colleague have spent a lot of money both on obtaining our PFAW and on the Inspire system, Our PFAW only arrived at the end of last summer due to CAA delays, so our window of work was curtailed due to the onset of a rather windy and rainy winter, after a very windy and not so great summer.

So we haven't even had a chance to give the Inspire a proper work out yet from a commercial standpoint. And yet, I am spending all my time upgrading and documenting all the firmware upgrades and performing flight tests as per my ops manual when I get small windows to be able to fly between the bad weather. And most of these firmwares are crippling my machine before it has even had a chance to properly make its money back!

DJI originally sold the Inspire as a professional rig, not a hobbyist one. So it should be the pro users, who surely must be the predominant users of it, who should be considered primary when these upgrades are made. We want robustness and stuff that makes our life easier, not harder. We certainly don't want NFZ's or silly nannying power reductions for those people who don't know how to treat batteries in cold weather. Nor do we want flippin' DJI Go features such as sharing our lovely videos over social media. Instead give us features such as being able to download industry standard flight logs without having to go through iTunes and an online converter for instance.
2016-2-11
Use props
snathla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-8 11:22
Sorry Paul, I meant full power that's that's not really correct either because the power of the Ins ...

Hi DJI-Ken,

I think there is a bug in the software or I ma reading this incorrectly. I flew yesterday with the temperature around 60+ degrees and got the following message 'warning-propulsion output is limited to ensure the safety of the battery'. First time I have gotten this error
2016-2-11
Use props
snathla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Not sure why I got this r=error where the temp was 60+ degrees, decent amount of battery life, not too high
BatteryIssue.jpg
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

snathla@gmail.c Posted at 2016-2-12 11:02
Hi DJI-Ken,

I think there is a bug in the software or I ma reading this incorrectly. I flew yeste ...

I will send an email inquiring about it and see what all sensors trigger that warning.
2016-2-11
Use props
snathla
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-11 19:08
I will send an email inquiring about it and see what all sensors trigger that warning.

Hi DJI-Ken

Same thing happened again, warm weather, over the water, this time the craft was only ~100 ft up. Happened almost 10 minutes into the flight, same as last time.
Any update?
2016-2-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

snathla@gmail.c Posted at 2016-2-13 16:22
Hi DJI-Ken

Same thing happened again, warm weather, over the water, this time the craft was only ~ ...

I sent an email to someone else, we'll see what he says.
2016-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules