is it possible to sync video from 3 DJI A drones?
773 5 2016-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
burgmanchile
lvl.1
Chile

is there any way to create some sort of tags so I can syncronize either live or in post a Go Kart race?
What I'm thinking is putting 3 drones in the main corners and then edit the race video, It can be done manually but its a lot of work so does anybody know another way to do it?

thanks
2016-2-8
Use props
mlu_penguin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1812192 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi there,

If you use a visual 'clapper-board' in front of each camera lens at the same time you can sync it in post with your video editing software.  I use Cyberlink PowerDirector which is far cheaper than the big professional programs, but still does everything I want.

The trick would be having that cue visible from all drones if they are some distance away around the track.  Pointing at 'director of photography' who waves their arm in the air perhaps?  Some coordination required.

The other possibility is to turn on video captions in the app which produces a SRT file which has GPS and time-codes built in.

Hope this is useful.
2016-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It would be relatively easy if you were recording audio, but without it, it is going to be difficult. The other thing is how long the race goes for, because the P3 camera will split the file into two or more files once it goes past about 9 minutes (I Think), and it leaves a gap in the recording.
2016-2-8
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-8 20:14
It would be relatively easy if you were recording audio, but without it, it is going to be difficult ...

I have shot video in exscess of 15min and its never split the files.  Not on my P3P anyway.

As for syncing it...without audio, then video is your only option
How about using a DSLR flash and firing it at the beginning.  That would flood the area with a bright flash.  Then you can easily sync up the video with the flash frame.

If there are other flashes happening (other people with cameras) then put a color gel on your flash to change the color to something other than white.  The brief flash shouldn't disturb anyone and it should be seen in all the video.
2016-2-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Wolfiesden Posted at 2016-2-10 05:18
I have shot video in exscess of 15min and its never split the files.  Not on my P3P anyway.

As fo ...

Good suggestion about the flash.

The camera will split the files, at about 4.1 GB, or around 9 minutes 20 seconds in running time at 4K/24 fps resolution.
2016-2-9
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Even when the SD is not Fat32?
2016-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules