Noob with no experience needs some serious help - Any takers?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KASR
New

United States

Please feel free to speak to me like a 2 year old here. When I say I have no experience, I mean it. Zip. Nada.

Story: I'm a photographer and won a mobile phone photo contest. The package was this:

(1) of each of the following items:
Pocket Cinema Camera
Lilliput 7” Super FPV Monitor with IPS Panel
Metabones Canon EF Lens to Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Speed Booster
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens
Spreading Wings S900 and Assembly Instruction Download Link
DJI Lightbridge Full HD Downlink with OSD and Control

After spending 5 hours with my brother putting this all together, we realized that we are missing some stuff to get it up and flying, but are not sure what all we are missing.

We know we are misisng some type of battery to get it up and going, and some kind of controller.

Can anyone help advise one what else we need to get? I know this is going to be expensive to complete, but have no idea how expensive and what all is still needed.

I tried contacting DJI customer support but they just sent this back to me:

Dear -----

Thank you for contacting DJI. Many of the products you are listing are third party and therefore, I would not be able to advise on these points. However, regarding the Spreading Wings and Lightbridge, please review these two links for video tutorials:http://www.dji.com/product/spreading-wings-s900/info#video

http://www.dji.com/product/dji-lightbridge/info#video

Can you recall what type of controller that you have?

After I wrote back and told them the same thing again, that I am pretty sure I don't have a controller or battery, they closed the ticket as being resolved. Not much help.

Anyone willing to take some time and walk me through what all I still need and maybe point me in the right direction of where I can get it (and maybe the cheapest place! lol). I wasn't expecting to win, nor spend any additional money on this. From what I can tell this is a very nice and expensive setup. I'm thankful to have won, but have no idea what I am doing.

Thanks

2016-2-9
Use props
flaviomjr.vtolx
lvl.4
Canada

Hello Kasr, I was once in the same position as you.  From what you listed so far you will need a gimbal for the camera (if you don't have one already, I would suggest the Zenmuse Z15-BMPCC), battery I would suggest 16000mAh tattu, A2 controller for Autopilot/gps.   A computer to install DJI assistant to configure the craft.  If you only have one TX (remote control) I would recommend you to get a second one so that you can have the option to use your s900 as a single operator or as dual operator where you are pilot and have someone operate the camera separately.

Some other things you will need are

Lipo Balance charger
Lipo battery bag
Spare battery:  Typically the s900 will fly for about 15 to 18 mins depending on flight conditions and configuration.
S900 Case: This can wait, but its a good investment to carry and protect your s900.

This should get you going on your way.   

I will help as much as I can..
2016-2-18
Use props
maxx4wd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63655 ft
United States

since you mentioned you don't have controllers I would suggest buying a pair of Futaba 14sg radios with some sort of case if you don't plan on using a s900 case (as these can pair easily to the existing controller natively or through your lightbridge - plus there's a ton of setting and tweaks to get it just right and the gimbals are awesome)

But I'm surprised no one on here has stated this yet...THIS IS NOT A COPTER FOR BEGINNERS!....seriously work your way into it.  First and foremost learn to fly a quad before putting 6-15" blades into the air with more power than you most likely could handle (not a knock - just need to work up to it - start small - palm sized and work your way into this guy...fly without gps until you can't get it wrong - we've all been there too)...plus the amount of money you'll have in the air you'll want to know how to control the thing manually - never rely on GPS (ever)...you'll probably never even use it unless you're just taking photos or using the return to home feature...in which case...sell the copter and buy an inspire...you'll be light years ahead, it's a million times more userfriendly, batteries are cheaper, run time is longer, and can take almost all the same photos you could with this one (especially if you get the x5 camera)

with that said...you'll want a few parts to round out your quad..Tattu batteries mentioned are spot on but I'd suggest the 20000mah 6S instead...the copter can lift it no problem with the lightweight cam you plan on using and you'll end up with longer runtimes in the end.  some have said the multistar batteries are good (they're half the price) but I'm not a huge HobbyKing fan so I wouldn't trust them...

Charger - you'll need a high power charger with a good powersupply to push it...big batteries take large amps to charge (unless you want to wait for days on end...lol)
I use Cellpro Powerlab 8 with a 24volt 100Amp Power supply by featherpower (yes there are more expensive power supplies but no need to waste when you don't need to) - charges at 40 amps all day long and never bats an eye - plus you can use it both with AC and DC so field chargin is no issue on a 12 or 24v battery source.

Look up some build logs - a few good ones out there..most notably some of these machines suffer from poor harmonics (mine sure did) - I ended up swapping the top plate out for a Kopterworks unit - also ended up doing the landing gear epoxy mod...also you'll want to make sure to dynamically balance your props - these folding blades take a lot more work to balance than a normal fixed prop would.  

You'll have to know the laws where you're at to know where you can and can't fly...some areas you have to be licensed for these heavier uavs - (i know whole different discussion but just wanted to throw it out since you're asking for help)

Before you ever put the bird in the air...have someone with rc and or quad knowledge give it a run through and check everything...it should fly smoothly right away but a few key misteps and you'd be the next viral video...good luck and have fun...your venturing into a new realm..welcome to the addiction...LOL

2016-2-18
Use props
flaviomjr.vtolx
lvl.4
Canada

maxx4wd Posted at 2016-2-19 02:35
since you mentioned you don't have controllers I would suggest buying a pair of Futaba 14sg radios w ...

Hey max, are you flying the S900 as well?   How long are you able to fly with the 20000 tattu with payload?   I am thinking on giving it a try but its pretty damn expensive.  lol   
2016-2-19
Use props
KASR
New

United States

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful! Sorry it took so long to read them, I've been off training for work and packed the s900 up.

Looks like this may be too much for me. It was a great win, but not for someone who has never even flown a small quad.

Maybe best if I just sold it, sadly. Should I sell it as a package, or piece it out? I'm keeping the lens and cannon adapter and cinema body. But the gimbal, s900, lilliput monitor, and lightbridge downlink with OSD and control I have no use for (don't know how to use!) Looks like I would need to invest a very minimum a grand or so to just get in to the point it *could* go in the air.

My luck, even after learning to use it properly I would crash it. Lol
2016-5-19
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

KASR Posted at 2016-5-20 11:56
Thanks for the replies! Very helpful! Sorry it took so long to read them, I've been off training for ...

1 battery is going to set you back $500, radio $400 each depending on brand...so $1000 is minimum..
2016-5-20
Use props
KASR
New

Exactly. I'll just list it and see what happens.
2016-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules