United Kingdom

Access and delete data
2016-2-9
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

One of the recent updates (1.5 maybe) removed the ability to delete the files from the internal disk.  I imagine this was a deliberate decision by DJI to prevent people from wiping out the files if they felt they would be incriminating to a warranty repair. ("No, of course I did not crash it into the ocean, why would you ever think that?")

You may install your personal aluminum foil protective devices if you wish to speculate even more nefarious thoughts by DJI.

The only way to get around this would be to get root permissions to the drive which IIRC, has yet to happen.  

Perhaps one of the DJI twins can expound on this.
2016-2-9
Use props
mike
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Is there any way to downgrade the firmware ???

Suppose the only other way is to fly the drone for so long the DAT files self delete ...
2016-2-9
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Now I wanna have a look at your DAT's
2016-2-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is no way to delete the DAT files from the aircraft. The memory is several gigabytes so it would take some time just burning through batteries flying in an area that you don't care if anyone knows about.

2016-2-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-9 13:35
There is no way to delete the DAT files from the aircraft. The memory is several gigabytes so it wou ...

Ooohhh.  Snap! Sizzle!  Why Ken,  I believe you are suspicious of a fellow human being.  How could you even think such things?
2016-2-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-2-10 06:15
Ooohhh.  Snap! Sizzle!  Why Ken,  I believe you are suspicious of a fellow human being.  How could ...

Actually that statement was my own opinion as to why someone wouldn't want logs of their flights, I should delete it.
2016-2-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-9 14:23
Actually that statement was my own opinion as to why someone wouldn't want logs of their flights, I ...

Probably accurate though,  knowing humans as we all do.
2016-2-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-2-10 06:31

ya, I know.
2016-2-9
Use props
alexm42
lvl.2

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-2-9 14:31

Inferring malice for being able to delete files is ridiculous. I have considered selling my Phantom pro and would prefer to be able to clear the bird entirely. There's no reason I should be forced to give away information such as where and when I flew to a new purchaser simply because I owned the bird previously.

You can say that it doesn't matter to you, but the ability for a user to wipe a smartphone of pictures is not second guessed - regardless of the nature of the content. I should be able to have some way to clear my history from a device when I am choosing to resell it, even if that process involves some unusual step that I wouldn't otherwise take.
2016-2-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

alexm42 Posted at 2016-2-10 09:59
Inferring malice for being able to delete files is ridiculous. I have considered selling my Phanto ...

"Inferring malice for being able to delete files is ridiculous. I have considered selling my Phantom pro and would prefer to be able to clear the bird entirely. There's no reason I should be forced to give away information such as where and when I flew to a new purchaser simply because I owned the bird previously."

For most users that kind of information isn't going to be giving away anything important.
But for DJI assessing warranty issues, they need to know they are looking at data from the latest flights and that the latest flight data has not been deleted or tampered with.
And since that's the whole reason for having a "black box data recorder" in the Phantom, you're just going to have to accept it the way it is.
2016-2-9
Use props
alexm42
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-9 15:36
"Inferring malice for being able to delete files is ridiculous. I have considered selling my Phanto ...

If you fly your phantom from your home, and then resell it, any new purchaser now has your address. Unhappy with the transaction? Problem with the Phantom? Consider you a good mark for theft? Sure all these scenarios are unlikely.

If you have ever flown your Phantom at your house or any other personal location, you now have the choice of either: 1. Letting any prospective buyer know about those locations and flights, or 2. Not reselling it.

Do I understand DJI's perspective? Sure it doesn't matter to them. But as a customer, the inability to clear your bird for resale is a serious issue. It doesn't matter if it was a one time code that you had to generate from DJI, put into the GO app, and then would clear the bird until re-authorized by DJI. I should not be forced to either bear a risk that nobody will do anything untoward with that information or to not resell my Phantom if that's a concern.
2016-2-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

alexm42 Posted at 2016-2-10 11:36
If you fly your phantom from your home, and then resell it, any new purchaser now has your address. ...

You have full control over this issue. If you don't want to give away the data, don't sell the aircraft.
2016-2-9
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

Can't you just open up the bird and remove the card and just put another in it?
Kinda like the game OPERATION?  "Remove wrenched ankle"   
Anyone remember that game?
2016-2-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-2-10 14:07
Can't you just open up the bird and remove the card and just put another in it?
Kinda like the game  ...

Opening the P3 and getting to the data recorder SD card is no trivial matter.
Add to that, it's glued in.
2016-2-9
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

Figures.
Same stuff they use for the Antenna cables in the remote?
2016-2-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-2-9 19:50
Figures.
Same stuff they use for the Antenna cables in the remote?

A little more serious,  I think.  
2016-2-10
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-2-10 02:24
A little more serious,  I think.

It think it's pretty much the same stuff.  There was a thread on Phantom Pilots about pulling the card.  A lot of work for minimal benefit.  Yep, somebody knows where you live.  Scary that.   If you have flight logs that implicate you in some nefarious scheme, you should probably shred the device when you no longer need it.

Or just fly it around over water until it crashes.
2016-2-10
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Are you sure you can't delete them?
This must have been a firmware change since 1.3.2
I have deleted all the DAT files on my P3A a number of times.
I've never updated because it does everthing I want it to do and flies great.

Never mind.....just saw post #2

All of this is definitely going to lead to a FW hack.   (If it hasn't already)  Count on it.
2016-2-10
Use props
daniebaldesco
lvl.1

Philippines

you open your quad.unscrew the board.under it is the memory card that contains your .dat files.remove your da file using memory card reader.that is how i do mine.
2016-2-10
Use props
daniebaldesco
lvl.1

Philippines

.dat files are save in the microsd card under your main board.you can see it inside your battery compartment.open your quard.use a memory card reader to delete files.that is how i did mine.
2016-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules