FAA B4UFLY vs DJI No Fly zones
2827 14 2016-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wheeliesteve
lvl.2

United States

I know the FAA B4UFLY is the only map to worry about when it comes to no fly zones in the US. I have a question though about the DJI map at http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly. This map shows a red circle around a small local airport but the circle isn't even a 1/4 mile in diameter. So I have no issues flying around here. However, the B4UFLY app shows that airport with a 5 mile radius and also shows two other airports with 5 mile radiuses that both overlap my house. Those 2 other airports don't even exist. Never have the 40 years I've been around here. So if DJI ever syncs their NFZs with the FAA, I pretty much have a $1000 paper weight. Am I pretty much correct?
2016-2-9
Use props
DaGunn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 203117 ft
United States

Yes, you are uck-fed!  Every un-towered airstrip and heliport now has authority over airspace that they don't monitor.
2016-2-9
Use props
wheeliesteve
lvl.2

United States

Wondering if I should take my P3P back for a refund while I'm still in the 30 day return window and go buy something not made by DJI!
2016-2-9
Use props
DaGunn
lvl.4
United States

Don't confuse FAA crap with DJI crap!   
2016-2-9
Use props
DaGunn
lvl.4
United States

Cows, horses, and rabbits eat the same grasses,  Why is it that the cows shit patties, the horses shit tubes, and the rabbits shit pellets?
2016-2-9
Use props
wheeliesteve
lvl.2

United States

Or I guess if we didn't do anymore firmware updates on the RC, Go app, or the Phantom itself, then everything would keep working.
2016-2-9
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

wheeliesteve Posted at 2016-2-9 20:01
Or I guess if we didn't do anymore firmware updates on the RC, Go app, or the Phantom itself, then e ...

everyone says that......

What if you have an accident have to send it to DJI for repairs?

What if you have to have a new mobile device ? if you're using iOS Apple will require you to download the new version of the go app from iTunes.

it might be a short term remedy,  however I I don't think that avoiding updates is a long term solution.

2016-2-9
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

I live out in the country and most of my area was covered in yellow. It's just crazy. I've got a bunch of farm fields covered in yellow due to the farmer cutting an airstrip in the grass. I couldn't tell you what's what now since DJI requires you to be signup to even look at the maps I believe. I stopped uploading app updates and firmware updates after I realized that DJI sneaked in the NFZ's and telling us that the update was to fix batteries from dying during cold weather.
2016-2-9
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Username Here Posted at 2016-2-9 20:28
I live out in the country and most of my area was covered in yellow. It's just crazy. I've got a bun ...

I understand you're frustration.... I just downloaded a new Beta App for Drone Deploy and the app informed me that I would need the most recent firmware in order to operate....
I have not tried this yet I will see if I can run the software with out a firmware update... (this can get possibly turn bad). Ill control my experiment.
However as DJI's  SDK evolves.... I fear that there is only so long we will be able to run legacy firmware.
In the least, we won't be able to run newer applications while the bird is on out of date software.
2016-2-10
Use props
eddyorellanaest
New

United States

So we only register if it's  for commercial  use or also for hobby in confused idk if I should register they don't even take the craft model or s/n
2016-2-11
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

wheeliesteve Posted at 2016-2-9 23:13
Wondering if I should take my P3P back for a refund while I'm still in the 30 day return window and  ...

Its only going to be a matter of time before all manufacturers create some form of geo-fencing.  Currently the only AP one I know of that doesn't have it, is the Chroma...

Yeah that b4ufly app basically has me under multiple NFZs.  it includes helipads, hospital helicopter pads and some other heli type places I've never even seen. I can't imagine having to call every single one of those to have to fly.
2016-2-11
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

eddyorellanaest Posted at 2016-2-11 03:53
So we only register if it's  for commercial  use or also for hobby in confused idk if I should regis ...

Everyone registers providing the quadcopter fits the registration criteria. They don't use the serial number because the number is yours and not specific to the quad. One number applies to all you quads.
2016-2-11
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

In most of the 5 mile exclusion zones all the B4UFLY  app requires is that you contact the heliport before flying. An inconvenience but not a no fly area.

Butch  
2016-2-11
Use props
DerikA
lvl.2

United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2016-2-11 09:54
In most of the 5 mile exclusion zones all the B4UFLY  app requires is that you contact the heliport  ...

That is if you can find a phone number / handheld freq (if you've got a transceiver) .
I've got a heliport at a hospital which I call, but no one ever picks up. I leave a message.
The local airport has numbers listed on airnav, but one is a wrong number, and the other is disconnected.
I wish the FAA ap just provided you contact info. Seems like if the FAA knows they are there they should also know how to get a hold of the owner
2016-2-11
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

DerikA Posted at 2016-2-11 14:56
That is if you can find a phone number / handheld freq (if you've got a transceiver) .
I've got a  ...

Yea I know what you mean... I've one that does not exist anymore... I reported the error but it still shows and that was a month ago. I did call another and they were grateful, and surprised, I called and gave me an OK for the location.

Butch
2016-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules