Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Disable compass
4789 7 2016-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gbutcher
lvl.1

Australia

Hi - Is it possible to disable the compass so it is not used by the flight controller whilst retaining the GPS capability?  The reason is that I would like to retain GPS position hold in an environment with significant EMF that is affecting the compass.  At the moment the aircraft is switching to ATTI even though I am not dropping GPS satts (14 or 15) so my guess is that the EMF is causing issues with the compass and that is what is causing the switch to ATTI, even though there should be sufficient GPS data to provide position hold.  Thanks.
2016-2-9
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, I am sorry but I have to tell you that for the current design and the flight control system, if the compass was heavily interfered by the EMF, then the aircraft won't be able to find the course of itself, then there is no way to act according to the controller since it has lost it's orientation, the GPS can only provide the position instead of the orientation. Let alone that the GPS is also disabled in the ATTI mode if the compass is disabled. If the aircraft has lost it's orientation, it's better to control it manually under ATTI mode, or you will have no idea where it will heading after you move the stick! It's very dangerous, so we designed this way, this is actually a bottleneck in this area. I hope you can understand, so the positioning under this EMF environment is nearly impossible if you used the GPS only or without compass. For safety, it's better not to fly in this area, if you're confident about the ATTI manual control, you can fly in ATTI mode, practice makes perfect, isn't it?
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

If you just want to obtain the GPS information, it's possible to obtain it if you're using the onboard SDK, since there is still GPS information in the flight control, it's just that the flight control don't use it to do the positioning anymore under this situation.
2016-2-17
Use props
gbutcher
lvl.1

Australia

Thank you for your response.  It all makes sense.  i guess I was hoping that there could be a GPS hold mode that holds the aircraft in position using GPS with no compass.  I accept that when you move, or need autonomous return to home the compass is required.  I am looking at using the Matrice for Transmission Tower inspection so cannot avoid the EMF.  We can fly in Atti but having a bit of extra hold ability on high towers would be useful.  Thanks.
2016-2-22
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

gbutcher@geomat Posted at 2016-2-23 13:30
Thank you for your response.  It all makes sense.  i guess I was hoping that there could be a GPS ho ...

I understand your need now. But since it's designed this way, so we can't solver your problem currently, but I will forward your need and suggestion to the R&D department anyway.
2016-2-23
Use props
daniel.hdsoluti
New

Norway

gbutcher@geomat Posted at 2016-2-23 06:30
Thank you for your response.  It all makes sense.  i guess I was hoping that there could be a GPS ho ...

Hi gbutcher.

Did you manage to disable the compass? We are in the same situasion. The compass error makes the drone grounded, and it will not lift, but we dont need it to ;)
2016-2-25
Use props
gbutcher
lvl.1

Australia

daniel.hdsoluti Posted at 2016-2-26 02:25
Hi gbutcher.

Did you manage to disable the compass? We are in the same situasion. The compass err ...

Hi Daniel,

No we have not tried to disable the compass based on the feedback provided.  We are looking at shielding the compass so it is less affected by EMF as an option.  Failing that we will fly in ATTI mode.  I saw your post and your specific problem.  I would think you can power on and calibrate away from the structure and then fly carefully in ATTI mode inside the structure.  Good luck and keen to hear how you go.  Cheers.
2016-2-29
Use props
Nali
lvl.1

Morocco

Hi,
I am curently facing the same problem with EMF affecting my drone's compass therefore my drone is acting weird.
And yeah I am also using my drone near high metallic towers and close to some generators
Did you guys have any luck solving this problem?
Would love to hear from you
2020-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules