Knock-off batteries
4785 21 2016-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

Are knock-off dji batteries showing up on Amazon?  The lights don't look right.  They resemble arrows.  Is this something new?

2016-2-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It could be just the angle of the shot. Mine look like arrows if you tilt the battery. But a word of warning, only buy genuine DJI batteries, anything else will void your warranty, and it simply not worth the risk.
2016-2-10
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-10 00:35
It could be just the angle of the shot. Mine look like arrows if you tilt the battery. But a word of ...

This is the product description.  Unless this is just a generic picture they used for the add.

DJI P3 4500mAh Intelligent Battery for Phantom 3 Drones Uav(white)- For Phantom3 Standard/Professional/Advanced
41aClddz05L.jpg
2016-2-10
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I wouldn't use these even if they were free. I'm definetely no expert but I have done a lot of reading and the battery that's used in the Phantom is a very complex piece of technology. I would only ever use DJI endorsed batteries... even though they are expensive!
2016-2-10
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

This seems to be the battery in question:  http://www.amazon.com/4500mAh-In ... dji+phantom+battery

This one is listed as a "Goforbe" brand.  They don't claim to be DJI.  The DJI Inspire battery has arrows similar to that on it.
2016-2-10
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Tintin Posted at 2016-2-10 13:52
I wouldn't use these even if they were free. I'm definetely no expert but I have done a lot of readi ...

I agree. There is too much communication going on between the battery, aircraft and app to trust it to a third party. I am all for saving money, but I think using these if they are truly knock-offs could run the risk of costing you the price of a Phantom as well.
2016-2-10
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yeah. Saving money in the short term would almost cost you money (and loads of hassle) in the long term!
2016-2-10
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
United States

It just isn't worth the gamble.  If the price seems too good to be true pass it up.
2016-2-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Goldchucker Posted at 2016-2-11 09:01
It just isn't worth the gamble.  If the price seems too good to be true pass it up.

I agree. Being an intelligent battery, there is a processor in the battery that handles all aspects of its operation. Who knows what software is in there?
2016-2-10
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

"intelligent battery" Voltage and MAH remaining... not too intelligent
2016-2-10
Use props
The Bat Drone
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Goldchucker Posted at 2016-2-10 18:41
This is the product description.  Unless this is just a generic picture they used for the add.

DJ ...

It appears that the LED's are in the same style of the inspires. I wouldn't trust using these batteries but if anyone does then please let us know how you get on.
2016-2-10
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Now normally I don't all out appose aftermarket batteries. I've had some good luck with them on my other camera gear. The only issue here is any thing goes wrong, you could be out $1000-1500. It's simply just not worth the risk in order to save a few bucks, at least not for me.
2016-2-10
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

gustofusion Posted at 2016-2-10 16:37
"intelligent battery" Voltage and MAH remaining... not too intelligent

and temperature, possibly current, communication and control from the processor re operating parameters...and on and on.  
2016-2-10
Use props
nrechtman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1555344 ft
United States

Tintin Posted at 2016-2-11 02:52
I wouldn't use these even if they were free. I'm definetely no expert but I have done a lot of readi ...

Do they even have the intelligent circuitry?
2016-2-10
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

So far nothing but he said she said.....noone's tried one?
Let's see.   DJI OEM batteries made in.........Switzerland ?    After market batteries made in......China?  (AFAIK, OEM and these aftermarkets are all MIC)

The Chinese are masters of reverse engineering and duplicating products.  If not right now, I fully expect batteries nearly as good as DJI batteries to be available soon.
Reminds me of P1 batteries.   At first everyone said anything other than OEM batteries was a huge risk.
Now most people buy aftermarket batteries for P1.    (Yes, at one time the P1 WAS the latest and greatest)  Give it time.
2016-2-10
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Ive got a few flights on  1 of those batteries.....so far so good. I fly in Alaska so its plenty cold here too.
I am getting about the same flight time and performance with no notable difference.
With as much bad luck as some folks are having with DJI batteries.... I think It is actually nice to see some sort of alternative...chances are high that  DJI its going to claim pilot error regardless of whose battery was used.
With just a few flights on them  it is  to early to say for sure...... Knock on wood and fingers crossed.
All this being said this is only a 800.00 Advanced I'm risking, I'm also in remote areas with no safety concerns.
If this were batteries for  my inspire.... I would not  be taking the risk.
2016-2-10
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

I bought some batteries off Amazon for my Blade 350...the ad said they were a higher MaH rating so they would have "longer flight times"...the only flight that was longer was the very first charge.  After that they were significantly less and less every time I charged them.  Now, they barely fly for half the time the original batteries work for.  And the original batteries have been charged more times than the "aftermarket" ones.  So don't believe what the ads on Amazon say all the time...
2016-2-11
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.2

United States

Is it worthy it?
For those of us in the US, the aftermarket battery is only $30 less than the original DJI battery.
I think not.
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-2-11 04:03
I agree. There is too much communication going on between the battery, aircraft and app to trust i ...

Exactly the reason not to use an aftermarket battery. There's too much communication between the battery and the aircraft.
For safety reasons and compatibility issues I would never use a no DJI battery on a Phantom or Inspire.
2016-2-11
Use props
jrueth
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-11 11:35
Exactly the reason not to use an aftermarket battery. There's too much communication between the b ...

Those are knockoff batteries!  Don't get them, spend the extra 20-40 and you may save your drone!
2016-2-11
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

DJI should have huge warning on their site, NOT to get these cheap knock offs.
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-2-12 04:18
DJI should have huge warning on their site, NOT to get these cheap knock offs.

I believe there's statements like that all over the place.
I can understand aftermarket props maybe, but a P3 battery, no way.
2016-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules