Aircraft Limitations: Respect them
483 1 2016-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RSeabourne
New

United Kingdom

FLYING OUTSIDE LIMITATIONS!! (FOR A SHORT TIME)

I should know better I have nearly 18,000 hours flying aircraft, never an accident but did observe aircraft limitations scrupulously!

We’ve all been there, I had taken some video of a friends pub down in the West Country in a 20+kts wind. The GPS held the aircraft as steady as a rock.

This was great and filled me full of confidence. Wouldn’t do it in ATTI mode

Several weeks later a buddy calls me to do a survey of his property next time the weather is fine. An isolated house in a very rural setting. A lovely sunny day but windy probably 20 kts gusting 35+. Nothing to induce electromagnetic interference, but some local topography to aggravate turbulence.

I hadn’t flown for a few weeks, all batteries recharged, compass swing carried out, but no IMU verification.

Take off, no problem and a low level fly out, controls checked all appeared normal and then a maximum rate of climb to 94 metres (300 ft). I was looking at the screen to see if the view was satisfactory.

I heard a sudden change in engine note and saw the aircraft in a power dive straight into the ground.

The flight data recording ceases at the end of the vertical climb but the crash occurred some ten metres away. When I saw the aircraft on a full power descent I applied full power in an attempt to counter the ROD. It had no effect.

Is it possible that the following occurred? The aircraft flying into wind the “nose” down. A sudden very large change in wind velocity would result in a temporary increase in the nose down attitude and “flipped” the aircraft upside down with a reduction of  altitude. If the aircraft is attempting to regain altitude it will apply power to climb, but in this case resulting in a massive rate of descent. Is this possible or does anybody have any ideas?

The lesson to be learnt: RESPECT AIRCRAFT LIMITATIONS

“There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots” is a very true statement!

2016-2-10
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

You're correct, we need to respect the limitations of the aircarft, about the crash, it's possible depends on the aircraft attitude. In your case, it's better to contact the technical support for help, they might be able to analyse flight record and date for you.
2016-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules