Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Perth City Council, Australia, have separate Drone Laws
6608 12 2016-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Takeoff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9915 ft
Australia

I called up CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) regarding flying my drone around Elizabeth Quay to shoot some pictures. As I am non-commercial, I will hover my drone over water and maintain at least 30 m from Elizabeth Quay to take surrounding pictures. As far as CASA is concerned, there is no problem with that. The CASA advisor was very helpful and nice to talk to.

I then called Perth City Council, explaining the same thing to them. Their advise to me is NO, I cannot fly my drone at Elizabeth Quay. I explained I have already taken safety into account by hovering over water (Swan River) and if anything fails, the craft will just drop into the river. The PCC official then advised that in that case, I have to seek approval from the Swan River Trust because, if my craft fails and drop into the river, the drone battery will pollute the river !!! He is reluctant to hear how I will comply with the current 30m rule and plainly advise NO, I cannot fly my drone there.

Can any drone pilots in Australia, especially in Perth advise if they have similar experiences like this and in this case, will just CASA's advise alone be deemed the official legal approval ?

2016-2-10
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-10
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

In Australia are you require to get approval from the landowner? (council etc). If not then you should be fine. If you do have to get their permission, then it's probably there way or the highway.
2016-2-10
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sometimes it's better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission.
There are people out there that will just see it as an opportunity to say no.
2016-2-10
Use props
Takeoff
lvl.2
Australia

Thank you guys for your comments. I will not fly my drone there of course as there will be at least 1 city ranger who will confiscate my drone by his own rule. Instead I will use a long selfie pole and my iPhone but then my iPhone might drop into the river and pollute the waterways going by the PCC officer's view.
2016-2-10
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Takeoff Posted at 2016-2-11 16:03
Thank you guys for your comments. I will not fly my drone there of course as there will be at least  ...

Looking at Google Earth, there are lots of potential launch points within easy range.
Is your council ranger going to cover them all?
South Perth Esplanade and Langley Field are the obvious ones.
The thing with a P3 is that you don't have to launch right next to the subject you want to photograph.
If you send your P3 across the river, there's very little to connect you with what's going on at Elizabeth Quay.
2016-2-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

As near as I can figure, no-one has the right to regulate where you fly other than CASA. Municipal councils may try it on, but they have no control over airspace whatsoever.
2016-2-11
Use props
SydneyMark
lvl.2

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-11 21:10
As near as I can figure, no-one has the right to regulate where you fly other than CASA. Municipal c ...

almost every park here in NSW has a sign saying what isn't allowed, the usual, horse riding, shooting guns, oh, and flying model aircraft.
wish I had a horse, then i could break 3 or more rules at once
2016-2-11
Use props
kevhawker
lvl.2

Australia

I went out there the other day mate with no problems, took off and landed from the little beach around towards the narrows and flew almost exactly where you mentioned (over the river away from the quay itself) with no issues. Enjoy.
2016-2-11
Use props
Takeoff
lvl.2
Australia

kevhawker Posted at 2016-2-12 02:04
I went out there the other day mate with no problems, took off and landed from the little beach arou ...

Good on ya kevhawker. I have done that too recently but then I want to include myself in the selfie picture too.
2016-2-11
Use props
photman54
New

Australia

Takeoff Posted at 2016-2-10 21:03
Thank you guys for your comments. I will not fly my drone there of course as there will be at least 1 city ranger who will confiscate my drone by his own rule. Instead I will use a long selfie pole and my iPhone but then my iPhone might drop into the river and pollute the waterways going by the PCC officer's view.

Well a very large aircraft rather tragically, heavily polluted the water on Australia Day, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the inconsequential operation of a tiny drone. If you are worried it would pay to know someone with a boat. Operate off a boat and the TPTB wouldn't be any the wiser... Just watch out for my  Chopper as I fly past.
2017-3-4
Use props
JustinVV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 783320 ft
Australia

The ranger would not have the authority to confiscate your drone. They are not the police, just a untrained gut in a uniform. They usually like to hire bullies.

They are just there to have a presence and move people on. Maybe ask you to stop flying if they are enforcing some police/nanny state by law. (In Australia we are drowning in police/nanny state laws)

The rules are no more than 45 meters high, and abide by the other common sense rules.

2017-6-10
Use props
djiuser_a2fW2PjMJckt
New

Australia

I went fishing last night at the Narrows bridge in Perth next to Elizabeth Quey I managed to catch myself a Mavic Pro 2 appears to be a little water damaged I wonder what you guys DJI might be able to do with it for me,
get back to me with your ideas
2023-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules