loss of link behavior
1535 3 2015-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
steven
New

United States

Our second Flamewheel is equipped with a Naza M V2, Zenmuse H3 2D, a DX18 for the R/C system, and uses the ground station so that we can send it out on waypoint flights.  We fly this out at our ranch, so we have a large open area to play with.
We have a dozen or so waypoint flights on the system, and we have continued to expand the distance we fly out.  When going out to ~3000 away we had a very interesting occurrence.  The flight path took it pretty much straight out and then had a short leg holding that distance before returning home.  Shortly after making the turn on to the short leg the ground station showed that the signal strength was fading fast, and then dropped out.  A few seconds later my wife, who was watching the video, told me that we crashed.  Several seconds later the groundstation reconnected and showed that the vehicle was in return to home mode and airborne. A couple minutes later the vehicle did automatically land at its takeoff point.
Reviewing the video recorded on the GoPro showed what happened.  At about the time the groundstation lost link the vehicle descended fairly quickly and contacted the ground about 10 feet from a hay bale with a bunch of cattle around it watching on in either amazement or terror.  The camera gimbal must have gotten jostled hard enough to power off for several seconds since the camera pointed straight down.  Thevehicle bounced a bit and then started backing up quickly just above the ground.  The gimbal then went to the failsafe position and several seconds later returned to the commanded position.  The vehicle climbed back up and flew home.  All in all a rather interesting video.
When the vehicle contacted the ground it would have lost line of sight with us, so I assume that the return to home was commanded when the Spectrum receiver went into fail safe. But why did it do such a rapid descent? Why did it not stay down?  Why did it back up?  Given the circumstances what should it have done?
2015-1-5
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

Hi,
If the waypoint task is uploaded to the drone, even the ground station lost connection with the aircraft, your drone will continue the flight course.
Do you regain the Rx control when the ground station link broken? I guess maybe Rx signal that made the drone go down.
2015-1-5
Use props
steven
New

United States

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2015-1-6 14:11
Hi,
If the waypoint task is uploaded to the drone, even the ground station lost connection with the  ...

That is the main question; what does the system do when it loses the ground station link?  I would have thought it would RTH, which is what I thought I had set somewhere.  Reverting to the R/C system at long ranges is not what I would want it to do.
2015-1-6
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

steven@ellzey.u Posted at 2015-1-6 21:49
That is the main question; what does the system do when it loses the ground station link?  I would ...

if it's in waypoint mode and has uploaded the waypoint to the aircraft, it will continue the route even connection breaks.
During the waypoint mode no matter connection between PC--Drone break or not, by switch S1 you can regain the control through RC

2015-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules