Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Extreme weather flying.
775 14 2016-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jcarignan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 664357 ft
Canada

Over the weekend I was contracted to do some filming for a movie.  Because of my contractual obligations, I had to fly my P3A in -40 C.... very cold!

I ran into a few minor issues. First off i sent my P3 up and instantly got an error message saying Damaged Cell. I never seen that one before so i brought it back, landed and brought the drone inside to warm up. Then i connected to the DJI app and checked my batt. levels. All in the green! I swapped batteries just in case and sent it up again. I ended up using the batt, that said damaged cell multiple times again that day. Not once did i get an error from it.
As you can imagine, my batteries were not lasting long. I was getting an average of around 15 minutes per battery.
Luckily i have 3 batts. so i was able to always have one on charge. But battery depletion was to be expected in such extreme temp.
Also, i had recalibrate the GPS every time i turned the drone on. We did 22 shots from 8 am until 4:30 pm that day.
Other than the minor issues, it was a very succesful day. Got some amazing footage in Northern Ontario Canada.

My Question to you all is :
What is the coldest temp. you sent your drone up in? And did you run into any problems?

2016-2-16
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I think the coldest mine's seen so far is -6C,  no problems.  -40C is mental!  Good to hear it went well.
2016-2-16
Use props
ElMarto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24229 ft
Canada

Interesting info! What phone/tablet did you use and how did you keep it from shutting off? My iPhone 6S Plus dies after 10 minutes in this kind of weather.
2016-2-16
Use props
Paniza
First Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

-10oC for me.
2016-2-16
Use props
MixU
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1025620 ft
Finland

-14c is my coldest temp. I'm also interested about how you kept your phone/tablet from dying? My ipad mini2 and iphone 5s really suffer from the cold. On the phantom body I tape some of the air vents when flying in the cold. I think it helps a litle.
2016-2-16
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.4

United States

Anything below freezing and I'm usually inside by the fireplace watching TV or replying to these threads lol

2016-2-16
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Cold Conditions

The P3 seems to be having issues with cold weather.
At least it did. Be sure to update your firmwares. FW 1.6 adresses several cold weather problems.
Keep the drone cold and the batteries warm.

The below pic is taken in cold enough conditions to completly freeze over a 200m tall waterfall
It was a P1 though..

Here's some awesome -a lot of c's footage

2016-2-16
Use props
jcarignan
lvl.3
Canada

ElMarto Posted at 2016-2-16 09:28
Interesting info! What phone/tablet did you use and how did you keep it from shutting off? My iPhone ...

That was also an issue lol. My ipad mini was 100% when we started. After 15 minutes in that weather it was 13%. Luckily as well i have 2 minis.
2016-2-16
Use props
jcarignan
lvl.3
Canada

MixU Posted at 2016-2-16 10:21
-14c is my coldest temp. I'm also interested about how you kept your phone/tablet from dying? My ipa ...

You know those hot paws hand warmers? I got 3 of them prepared and taped them to the bak of the ipad.
That helped briefly..until the ipad slipped out of the controller grip. After that it was lots of recharges
2016-2-16
Use props
jcarignan
lvl.3
Canada

If anyone can read the flight records i can post them later on or email them to someone. Im interested in seeing what was taking place behind the scenes so to speak lol
2016-2-16
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
United Kingdom

jcarignan Posted at 2016-2-16 19:23
If anyone can read the flight records i can post them later on or email them to someone. Im interest ...

www.healthydrones.com
2016-2-16
Use props
jcarignan
lvl.3
Canada

Ya i use healthy drones, but i recently learnt not to take them for gospel.
My drone gave me a warning saying damaged cell. After i uploaded my flight records to healthy drones. it showed every single one of my batteries as having a damaged cell on Saturday.
Well i checked them out in the dji app and all the batteries showed each cell as being fine.
Then i did test flights with each battery and loaded the flight records into healthydrones. And miraculously all my cells are fine again.

Also, i remember them saying that they will always be free but offer premium services. Now their website states they will be setting limits for the "free" to i think it was 10 flights?
I guess i cant complain though, 10 flights is still decent.
2016-2-16
Use props
jcarignan
lvl.3
Canada

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-2-16 13:29
The P3 seems to be having issues with cold weather.
At least it did. Be sure to update your firmware ...

Right on! Ill check that video out when i get out of the office today
2016-2-16
Use props
nigelw
First Officer
United Kingdom

jcarignan Posted at 2016-2-16 20:02
Ya i use healthy drones, but i recently learnt not to take them for gospel.
My drone gave me a warn ...

All it means is they use different criteria to decide what constitutes a damaged cell.  Time will tell...
2016-2-16
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.4

New Zealand

Might be a good idea get an battery warmed if this will become a regular thing.

Coldest I've flown is probably +20 degrees and max about 30-33 degrees.
2016-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules