Suggest: backpack for skiing and carry-on luggage
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpaceBass
lvl.2
United States

Headed out to do some back country (read: extreme) skiing and ski-hiking soon. I'd love to take my P3A with me. I'd also love whatever I buy to double, at least for this trip, as my carry-on luggage for the trip. In addition to the drone, I'd be carrying:
* iPad Pro
* iPad Air 2 (for the drone)
* various charges and cables, earphones, etc
* a book or two
*water bottle

I think portability and wearability are pretty important. I've seen some soft packs that look well padded, but also large and cumbersome. When you are getting on and off a lift (or plane for that matter) you have to swing bags around, tuck them into places, etc.

Any suggestions?

I totally accept that no case is bombproof and this carries the risk of falling and tumbling and breaking my done or bones... I've been accepting that risk for 35+ years

2016-2-16
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2
United States

I have the Phantom 3 hardshell backpack from DJI and I like it. I have my Phantom 3 Advanced with 3 batteries, the remote controller, extra props, landing gear, and the iPad mini 3,  Not much room for anything else that I am starting to accumulate, such as filters, charging hub and its power cable, monitor hood, extra mini SD cards, gimbal guard, and the remote controller strap. I just need one more good backpack or bag to carry the extras. I don't know if I should get a hardshell carrying case or a conventional backpack.
2016-2-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The hardshell backpack is the best for what you want to do. The Pro and Air2 may fit between the top cover and the foam. But if not, during the day just leave the Pro where your staying if you can.
You can strap a water container to the straps, a book don't know about.
2016-2-16
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

I travel quite regularly (4 flights a month or so) with my hardshell backpack as carry-on and really rate it, very nice well designed solution.
I fit in mine fairly comfortably:
*P3P
*4 batteries
* props
* spare props
* anemometer
* Couple of filters
* aircraft USB cable
* controller USB cable + spare
* spare microSD cards and adaptor
* lens cleaning pads
* iPad mini 3
* Sunshade for the iPad (in the top of the shell)
If I need the charger I carry that as checked luggage

In your case I'd be a little concerned with the hardshell fitting the iPad AND the air2 (possibly even wary of just one of those in that top section). Depending on the aircraft, some compartments can be a bit of a squeeze or not fit at all and there will be no padding just the backpack shell between your expensive apples and whatever is trying to squash them.
It does have some d-rings you can clip stuff to which is fine for hiking etc but a PITA in an aircraft in my opinion.

Hope this helps and keep us posted if you find something ideal post it up, I'd be interested!
2016-2-16
Use props
SpaceBass
lvl.2
United States

Thanks gang! Sounds like the hardshell is the way to go! I'll send updates
'
2016-2-17
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40837 ft
United States

SpaceBass Posted at 2016-2-18 06:33
Thanks gang! Sounds like the hardshell is the way to go! I'll send updates  
'

You can get the same ones on eBay for $70. Just without the DJI Logo on them, other then that they are basically the same. Here is a comparison video both of them (ebay and DJI ones)
2016-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules