2312 motors and ESC boards
4529 10 2016-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
robbi
lvl.2
Australia

Due to issues with tooooo long supplied prop guard screws being re used when taking off the prop guards I have fried 4 engines and 2 ESC boards on my Vision 2+ unit.
There was never any warning beforehand that you need to re use the shorter pre prop guard mount screws when removing prop guards.   

So 4 new 2312 engines later I notice that there is an issue with ESC board compatability when on the website it said 2312 engines suit all V2 models..and I have a V@ plus
Then in tiny paper notes inside the engine packets it says this is not so!!!!

So what is the truth?  Two of the original ESC boards on the unit worked OK with the new 2312 engines in test but the other 2 were fried along with the engines.
So I have ordered 2 new V2 boards that also say compatable with all V2 machines.

So if I combine 2 V2 ESC boards with 2  ESC boards not marked V2 (which are working) with the new motors...will I be in trouble???

It was only when doing a test run with the new motors installed that I was able to identify that 2 of the ESC boards were fried

So does the little bit of motor paper tell the truth?

2016-2-16
Use props
jonnied2010
lvl.3

United States

You should use the ver 2.1 ESC's
2016-2-17
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

I would order a complete set to be safe, it will be a total guess if unsure unless DJI can confirm which version you have.
I know it is a few extra $$ but it could all turn to shit if you don't get it right..
Good luck!
2016-2-17
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

From what I remember the esc's are the same but the firmware is different. I think the v2.1 will work on the 2212 and 2312 motors but there might be an issue with using the v2 esc's with the 2312 motors. That being said when I replaced mine I just ordered 4 of the v2.1 esc's and 4 of the 2312 motors.
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

2312 are compatible with ESC V2.0 and not compatible with usual ESC
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-18 12:26
2312 are compatible with ESC V2.0 and not compatible with usual ESC

4 of them must be ESC V2.0
2016-2-17
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Here is a reference also
2312-ESC DJI compatibility chart.jpg
2016-2-19
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

I have one of my Phantoms that I have a mix of the  ESC's and no issues. Theynarentakingthey same ESC board just with rp different firmware. As the chart states they are compatible and can be mixed. Happy flying!
2016-2-25
Use props
Enchodus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45788622 ft
Jordan

To make things simple for any new user seeking an answer, if you upgrade your 2212 motors on P2, P2V, P2V+ to the 2312  motors with more power , then you will need to make sure to change all of them at once and to also change all esc's to the ones with a 2.1V printed om them. They are available at Amazon and elsewhere for a reasonable price, usually.
2019-8-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sorry - that's not quite correct.  There is no need to swap out your V2.0 ESC to upgrade to a 2312 motor.

There are two motors for the P2 series - the 2212 and the 2312.

There are three ESCs for the P2 series -  the original V1 not marked, V2.0, and V2.1.

The ESC hardware is the same, it's the ESC FW that has been upgraded on the higher version ESCs.

However, to add to the confusion, many of the upgraded ESCs still hold the old labels or are sold in the wrong retail box, or both.  You can tell the upgrade by looking for a colored felt pen mark on top of the large capacitor.  For example, a yellow felt pen mark indicates V2.1 regardless of what may be on the label.  Another example, a blue felt pen mark indicates V2.0 even if the label indicates original ESC.  

If you have a 2312 motor, you want to avoid the original ESC which we refer to as V1.  

A V2.0 ESC will work just fine with a 2312 motor.  

A V2.1 ESC is the preferred ESC because it is less apt to pop a mosfet on the board when the props/motors are locked up after a crash.  For example, you crash and end up lodged in sticks or whatever so that one of the motors can't spin, and the AC continues trying to right itself.  The ESC will become damaged more readily with the V2.  Chances of no ESC damage after a crash are better with 2.1

A V2.0 will not cause a crash regardless of the motor.  It's what happens after the crash which is why you might prefer the V2.1.

If you have a 2212 motor and the original ESC, there is no cause for concern as it won't cause you to crash.  Again, it's what happens after the crash.  

You can mix and match ESCs.  

You can't mix and match motors.

Don't forget to do an IMU calibration when swapping out either.

Thanks for posting.

Good luck

2019-8-16
Use props
Enchodus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45788622 ft
Jordan

Mark The Droner Posted at 2019-8-16 02:30
Sorry - that's not quite correct.  There is no need to swap out your V2.0 ESC to upgrade to a 2312 motor.

There are two motors for the P2 series - the 2212 and the 2312.

Comprehensive and well explained, thank you Mark!
2020-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules