DIY Mobile Device Hood
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oj88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft

From where I live, commercial display hoods are both hard to come by and expensive.  So I cut myself one out of clearbook cover. The hood fits my Sony Xperia Z3 Dual smartphone and I made cutouts so it can be attached onto the P3S remote mobile device mount. A single velcro holds the two side flaps together.

2016-2-17
Use props
chafey5373
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40476 ft
United Kingdom

Any pics...? Was thinking of doing the same
2016-2-17
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

Very nice!  I paid about $12 for one but I think I like the way yours has a slot for the bottom phone clamp to pass through.  The one I bought does not, it uses the bottom phone clamp, extended all the way, to hold the bottom of the hood and uses suction cups to hold the phone in place against the flat back of the hood, which isn't perfect.

2016-2-17
Use props
Lil' Outdoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294777 ft
United States

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-17 15:53
Very nice!  I paid about $12 for one but I think I like the way yours has a slot for the bottom phon ...

Nice. I just made mine out of cardboard and duct tape for free.
2016-2-17
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

Defo more pro than my original cardboard one! (have since gone out and bought one)
Nice job
2016-2-17
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I made one out of the box my Nvidia Shield tablet came in.  Works fine.
2016-2-17
Use props
oj88
lvl.4

chafey5373 Posted at 2016-2-18 01:38
Any pics...? Was thinking of doing the same

You're not seeing the pics? Maybe Imgur is being blocked at your end. Otherwise, try this: http://m.imgur.com/a/hhq6K
2016-2-17
Use props
oj88
lvl.4

I did some modifications to further reduce glare and reflection. The mobile device is now facing up about 25 degrees from the previous design. This prevents me from seeing my own brightly-lit face in sunlight.

Now, when looking straight into the display, it reflects none of the surroundings or myself. What I 'see' as reflection is actually the top part of the hood, which is just black. The modification increases display contrast.

I'm calling this the 'Mark II'. lol

And for the ultimate test to check for reflections; camera flash! I took the following picture with the camera pointed straight into the hood in the same manner how one would view the display. No sign of the flash reflecting back to the camera. Can't wait to do some field testing during the weekend.
2016-2-18
Use props
Regina_mike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17844 ft
Canada

What did you use for the plastic?  Can you supply a link at all?   thanks
2016-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules