Antenna help for a newbie please?
1788 7 2015-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
clay
New

United States

Santa brought me a shiny new P2V+, and so far I love it!
Have been (cautiously!) increasing the max height setting in the Assistant software program, have now flown up to 600 ft high and about 700 ft out.

I am getting occasional losses in both the FPV camera connection (that's the Wi-Fi module, right?) and the TX as well.  So far no real PROBLEMS... failsafe has kicked in a couple times and returned all the way home perfectly, and a couple of times I have manipulated the S1 switches to regain control (I'm now in NAZA mode) - all good safe landings so far.

I've seen some threads discussing better antennas, but so far none that are easy enough to fully understand for a rookie like me!

Specifically...

1) To increase flight range, will just screwing a better antenna onto the transmitter (without changing anything inside the bird) get me more flight range, or do I have to change something inside the bird as well?

2) To increase FPV camera range, do new antennas need to be installed inside the Wi-Fi module, or is it best to change out the module completely to a better one?  And would I also need to modify anything inside the the bird itself to increase FPV camera range, or just on the Wi-Fi module on the transmitter?

Any and all help/thoughts/links are greatly appreciated!

bugman

2015-1-6
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

Hi Bugman,
Welcome to Phantom flying. First make sure you have the transmitter set to FCC mode. This will definitely increase your range. As far as antenna change. FPVLR.com sells some wonderful stuff. Try this link
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php? ... &product_id=103
I have read on other forums that people have been able to increase their range to 8000 feet and mote with set the transmitter antenna kit.
2015-1-6
Use props
c7fxgm
lvl.1

United States

Someone on another site posted that range will increase after 10-12 flights something to do with the software. I'm not sure if this is true but I wonder. I have had flights <1000 feet distance with he FPV cutting  out and the TX soon after. I only have few flights on mine r/t the weather here.
I would love to know if this is true because I read about people doing crazy long flights with a stock unit and I wonder why mine cuts out so soon.
2015-1-6
Use props
ljhellmich
lvl.4

United States

Bugman... make sure you put your phone number (and perhaps a reward amount) on your aircraft, so when someone else finds it, they might be nice and call you.

Jamie
2015-1-6
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

ljhellmich@yaho Posted at 2015-1-7 06:59
Bugman... make sure you put your phone number (and perhaps a reward amount) on your aircraft, so whe ...

Good luck with that one.  I have read of a one in a small college area that was never found or returned.
2015-1-6
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

momochi Posted at 2015-1-6 22:44
Hi Bugman,
Welcome to Phantom flying. First make sure you have the transmitter set to FCC mode. This ...

Those are good antennas I just ordered stage two kit after reading reviews not a single bad review.
2015-1-6
Use props
clay
New

United States

Hey guys, I appreciate all the comments & suggestions! (and sorry for not acknowledging sooner, been a busy week!)

Couple days ago I decided to try a quick-fix and purchased one of the "booster apps" on the Google Play store (Phantom 2 Vision Range Booster by Selfmade Developing).  Have only really tried it once, and it did "seem" to increase the FPV range.  I plan to test it a little more rigorously when I can get to a more appropriate location with father line of sight.

I fully expect a real antenna would provide better performance, but I'm just not thrilled about the idea of having the extra "stuff" mounted on my remote control or hanging down under the bird itself.  I'll test this booster app a little more, and if not getting what I want I may try an add-on antenna system as you guys have suggested.  

Thanks for all the advice!!!

bugman
2015-1-9
Use props
damon.moberly
lvl.1

United States

i just ordered the fpvlr stage 2 kit ....ive seen watched every how to you tube video on this particular mod.. doesn't seem terribly hard to remove the old antenna pigtail and drill 1 hole in the radio controller and two in the wifi extender...
every review I've seen on fpvlr has been really strong.
good luck with yours
2015-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules