Drones are NOT allowed in Nicaragua..
8378 35 2016-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Videocopter
New

Netherlands

.. and will be confiscated at the airport or other port of entry. Read my recent personal experience:
http://www.videocopterservices.nl/nicaragua-1

Videocopter

2016-2-18
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Thank GAWD you got it back
2016-2-18
Use props
Videocopter
New

Netherlands

microcyb Posted at 2016-2-18 16:29
Thank GAWD you got it back

Indeed indeed!!!
2016-2-18
Use props
Jeffgiff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115738 ft
Nicaragua

And so what should a fellow do that unknowingly brought a P4 into the country? Any chance it will be seized on the way out?  I walked across at the Penas Blancos border crossing with it in its backpack. it was scanned and nothing was said. When I arrived at my destination i was asked how I smuggled it in. I had no idea it was illegal here.
2017-3-5
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

In Ecuador my friend told me he would have to pay 100% import duty. For that reason he will bring his drone back from Mexico to Canada and from here fly to Ecuador.
2017-3-5
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

Everyday, more and more countries are placing restrictions on drone use. As you found out, Nicaragua has no tolerance for drones. Neither does Cuba. Most of the Caribbean island nations now have restrictions. Most are collaborating with the Antigua-based Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Authority (ECCA) to develop a policy for the use of drones. Until the policy is released many countries have placed severe restrictions on drone use.

I am traveling to Grenada in a few weeks. In order to fly a drone in Grenada you are required to obtain a permit at a police station. Every year I travel to a different country in the Caribbean and Americas. In the future, I will ONLY travel to countries that are drone friendly. I highly recommend that anyone traveling with a drone do research before they go. A good source is https://uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/.
2017-3-5
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

In Canada I don't need any registration to operate a drone. Can I take and use my P3 or P4 drone during my vacation in Florida?
2017-3-5
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

In the USA, I believe the National Parks system was the first to ban drones.  Seems a lot of cities are getting into the act with the excuse "If the National Parks can ban them, then so can we."  Our town has a lot of "No drones flown from public property" now as ordinances.  You won't know about them until you read it on their websites as no parks have signs saying "Drones not allowed" but it is on the books and a citeable offense.

Lawmakers need to get a legal feather in their cap so they see drones as privacy or trespassing matter so that's their law and cap's feather.  Lawmaker's job is to write laws, and at some point we'll become a police state where permission will be needed.  I fear it won't get any better with time and only worse.  Probably to the point if you want to fly one, you'll pay some high permit fee for that day that also comes with some sort of monitor or cop to make sure you're doing it safely as well as paying the local film commissioner's salary, i.e. Hollywood type permits.
2017-3-5
Use props
Aussie4220
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311732 ft
United States

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2017-3-5 06:29
Everyday, more and more countries are placing restrictions on drone use. As you found out, Nicaragua has no tolerance for drones. Neither does Cuba. Most of the Caribbean island nations now have restrictions. Most are collaborating with the Antigua-based Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Authority (ECCA) to develop a policy for the use of drones. Until the policy is released many countries have placed severe restrictions on drone use.

I am traveling to Grenada in a few weeks. In order to fly a drone in Grenada you are required to obtain a permit at a police station. Every year I travel to a different country in the Caribbean and Americas. In the future, I will ONLY travel to countries that are drone friendly. I highly recommend that anyone traveling with a drone do research before they go. A good source is https://uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/.

thats a great link, thank you for posting it
2017-3-5
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Australia must be an exception as here they have actually eased the restrictions last September
2017-3-5
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Just had a quick look at the  https://uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/. site.

The entry on Nicaragua seems correct but below it is a post of a video taken from somone flying in Nicaragua.

Next I looked at Australia and they still have the old regulations. At the top is a photo of Sydney Harbour. If that shot was taken with a drone then it looks like it's from a lot higher than 400' so another illegal flight.
2017-3-5
Use props
shawn_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

Callatis Posted at 2017-3-5 06:35
In Canada I don't need any registration to operate a drone. Can I take and use my P3 or P4 drone during my vacation in Florida?

You can, you'll need to pay the $5 USD to register it and attach the number. Depending on where in FL you're going, check city laws, like Orlando...
2017-3-6
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

shawn_ Posted at 2017-3-6 06:28
You can, you'll need to pay the $5 USD to register it and attach the number. Depending on where in FL you're going, check city laws, like Orlando...

thanks! Going to Hollywood, FL.
2017-3-6
Use props
Melissa D
lvl.2

Bolivia

Do you know how that would work at customs if you're driving through the country and have a drone? I'm going to be driving back to the States in a 3 months.
2017-3-6
Use props
shawn_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

Melissa D Posted at 2017-3-6 15:59
Do you know how that would work at customs if you're driving through the country and have a drone? I'm going to be driving back to the States in a 3 months.

I doubt anybody at the border cares about a drone, but let us know how it goes!
2017-3-7
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-5 17:53
Just had a quick look at the  https://uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/. site.

The entry on Nicaragua seems correct but below it is a post of a video taken from somone flying in Nicaragua.

The limit in Australia is not 400ft 120m.  You can fly higher in many areas.
2017-3-7
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-3-5 09:01
In the USA, I believe the National Parks system was the first to ban drones.  Seems a lot of cities are getting into the act with the excuse "If the National Parks can ban them, then so can we."  Our town has a lot of "No drones flown from public property" now as ordinances.  You won't know about them until you read it on their websites as no parks have signs saying "Drones not allowed" but it is on the books and a citeable offense.

Lawmakers need to get a legal feather in their cap so they see drones as privacy or trespassing matter so that's their law and cap's feather.  Lawmaker's job is to write laws, and at some point we'll become a police state where permission will be needed.  I fear it won't get any better with time and only worse.  Probably to the point if you want to fly one, you'll pay some high permit fee for that day that also comes with some sort of monitor or cop to make sure you're doing it safely as well as paying the local film commissioner's salary, i.e. Hollywood type permits.

I would pay a membership fee for a quadcopter park where one can fly without getting hassled by police or park rangers. It might very well come to that point where one can only flys his or her copters in a fly park like much of the RC aircraft.
2017-3-7
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-3-7 06:12
I would pay a membership fee for a quadcopter park where one can fly without getting hassled by police or park rangers. It might very well come to that point where one can only flys his or her copters in a fly park like much of the RC aircraft.

Only problem I ran into with the normal AMA RC fields locally is that most do not allow drones.  They seem to be very cliquish on what they allow to fly there and don't consider a drone as a homemade RC plane or even helicopter.  Anything with a camera seems to make them angry, and the range the drones get away with beyond LOS over their RC planes too which are always within eyesight.

I would think some cities would allow soccer fields or football fields as possible drone fields if their city councils are anti-drone with their privacy ordinances banning them.  Maybe prove the have some sort of insurance with the AMA and/or some annual $30 fee to use it.  Even some rural National Parks could have some "Drone Day" with a ranger as a watchful eye along with a fee like they do for some events.

2017-3-7
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-3-7 06:12

And honestly, I didn't buy my fancy drone to fly it in an enclosed "safe area". There is zero interest in that. We need to have public spaces (outside of cities and airports, of course) where we can explore, fly and take nice pictures.
2017-3-7
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-3-7 06:24
Only problem I ran into with the normal AMA RC fields locally is that most do not allow drones.  They seem to be very cliquish on what they allow to fly there and don't consider a drone as a homemade RC plane or even helicopter.  Anything with a camera seems to make them angry, and the range the drones get away with beyond LOS over their RC planes too which are always within eyesight.

I would think some cities would allow soccer fields or football fields as possible drone fields if their city councils are anti-drone with their privacy ordinances banning them.  Maybe prove the have some sort of insurance with the AMA and/or some annual $30 fee to use it.  Even some rural National Parks could have some "Drone Day" with a ranger as a watchful eye along with a fee like they do for some events.

Agree with allocating an area for us to fly our copters within the city limits. At least one of the RC fields in my city seems to be more welcoming for quadcopters.
2017-3-7
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-7 06:07
The limit in Australia is not 400ft 120m.  You can fly higher in many areas.

That site has the old rules for Australia. The new rules limit the altitude to 400' agl in controlled airspace and withing 3nm of an airfield. Outside those areas you must keep the aircraft in sight when flying.
2017-3-7
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fivetonine Posted at 2017-3-7 07:30
And honestly, I didn't buy my fancy drone to fly it in an enclosed "safe area". There is zero interest in that. We need to have public spaces (outside of cities and airports, of course) where we can explore, fly and take nice pictures.

And once again where can you find a public space inside or outside the city? Most of the open spaces are either privately own, state park or a national park. Which in most cases you can't fly.
2017-3-7
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-3-7 12:46
And once again where can you find a public space inside or outside the city? Most of the open spaces are either privately own, state park or a national park. Which in most cases you can't fly.

I can fly in National Parks and also have no height restrictions where I fly.

On top of one of the mountains here there is an observatory. Going to ask permission to fly around but not over it.  Will also give them the photo's and video's as well.  Permission not a given but I am well known in my community and actually get asked to take photo's of places.

I haven't flown in a city yet as I live in the wilderness in the open spaces. I have flown over a couple of villages up where I live though.
2017-3-7
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-3-7 12:46

That depends on your country. In mine I can fly wherever I want, as long as it's away from airports, industry, residential or people. Which leaves about 80% of the territory to me. And many other countries are the same - not everything is a National Park.
2017-3-8
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
United States

Callatis Posted at 2017-3-6 15:49
thanks! Going to Hollywood, FL.

I live in Miami. You won't be able to fly in Hollywood as it is close to Fort Lauderdale International Airport. There are also some small airports in the area like Executive Airport and Perry Airport. You are better to head south into Miami-Dade County. You cannot fly on South Beach but no one ever stopped me from flying in South Pointe Park.
2017-3-8
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2017-3-8 14:59
I live in Miami. You won't be able to fly in Hollywood as it is close to Fort Lauderdale International Airport. There are also some small airports in the area like Executive Airport and Perry Airport. You are better to head south into Miami-Dade County. You cannot fly on South Beach but no one ever stopped me from flying in South Pointe Park.

Thanks for your feedback! We are flying from Toronto to NY, DC and FLL. Renting a car in FLL. In this case I'll leave the drone home.
2017-3-8
Use props
fansae514b87
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77352 ft
  • >>>
United States

Guys,

We just came back from a trip to Costa Rica - Nicaragua, brought the Mavic, we were there the week of February 13, 2017 . Did not have any problems getting in the country and flying to get footage. In fact I was asking every where we went if it was kosher to fly the drone and was told to go ahead. Took all of my footage, left the country and no problems.
Maybe the shape of the Mavic makes look like a toy, but went thru the x-ray machine with no problems. Actually in Granada when I was there was a cop that stopped by to see the screen of my mobile device and was amazed.

2017-3-9
Use props
fansae514b87
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77352 ft
  • >>>
United States

shawn_ Posted at 2017-3-7 06:01
I doubt anybody at the border cares about a drone, but let us know how it goes!

I have driven thru the border with not only one drone but two ( Mavic and Phantom 4 Pro ). Do this all the time when driving to Mexico - Rosarito and Ensenada.

They do not really care, they are more worried about other stuff.
2017-3-9
Use props
fans7295fe48
New

United States

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2017-3-5 06:29

Is Aruba Drone friendly?.

We are going to go there in the summer for 2 weeks and want to bring the Mavic.
2017-3-9
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
United States

fans7295fe48 Posted at 2017-3-9 14:47
Is Aruba Drone friendly?.

We are going to go there in the summer for 2 weeks and want to bring the Mavic.

I had no problems traveling to Aruba last year with the drone. Leaving Miami, I did get pulled aside and they swabbed the drone case for explosives. Fair enough no other problems otherwise.

The problem flying in Aruba was the constant 20-35 mph wind blowing full blast the entire time that I was there. It is kind of freaky. The wind does not gust. It just blows full blast. We stayed on the Southern Coast, in an area called Palm Beach. It is hardly ideal when the tailwind takes you out to sea at break neck speed and you have to fight a blistering headwind to return to shore.  

We took an ATV tour to the north coast of the island (which I highly recommend) but I did not dare to fly. There are several spots like the Natural Bridge and the Baths that I would have liked to get video on but the wind was too brutal. There is also a wind turbine farm on that coast.

Take your drone. But I will check the wind conditions. I was there in early April. I don't know if it is any different during the summer. I came back a lot more confident of the P3P's capability to fly in high wind. Just don't get stupid.

2017-3-9
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2017-3-9 16:17
I had no problems traveling to Aruba last year with the drone. Leaving Miami, I did get pulled aside and they swabbed the drone case for explosives. Fair enough no other problems otherwise.

The problem flying in Aruba was the constant 20-35 mph wind blowing full blast the entire time that I was there. It is kind of freaky. The wind does not gust. It just blows full blast. We stayed on the Southern Coast, in an area called Palm Beach. It is hardly ideal when the tailwind takes you out to sea at break neck speed and you have to fight a blistering headwind to return to shore.  

What quality did you shoot that in? I was only able to play it in 360P which is pretty low res.
2017-3-9
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-3-9 16:32
What quality did you shoot that in? I was only able to play it in 360P which is pretty low res.

The original is shot in 4K. I do not remember what I uploaded to YouTube.
2017-3-9
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

talk about applying pressure. just another tax
2017-3-15
Use props
djiuser_4kQEtIflaOVQ
New

United States

Jeffgiff Posted at 2017-3-5 04:47
And so what should a fellow do that unknowingly brought a P4 into the country? Any chance it will be seized on the way out?  I walked across at the Penas Blancos border crossing with it in its backpack. it was scanned and nothing was said. When I arrived at my destination i was asked how I smuggled it in. I had no idea it was illegal here.

Hi Jeff. My husband and i are moving to Nicaragua and plan on traveling the same way you did into Nicaragua. We want to bring our p4 in hopes that it won't get contested at the boarder. Did you have any issues leaving? Did you leave from the Nicaragua Airport?
2018-12-16
Use props
djiuser_4kQEtIflaOVQ
New

United States

fansae514b87 Posted at 2017-3-9 14:29
Guys,

We just came back from a trip to Costa Rica - Nicaragua, brought the Mavic, we were there the week of February 13, 2017 . Did not have any problems getting in the country and flying to get footage. In fact I was asking every where we went if it was kosher to fly the drone and was told to go ahead. Took all of my footage, left the country and no problems.

How did you travel into Nicaragua?
2018-12-16
Use props
djiuser_4kQEtIflaOVQ
New

United States

djiuser_4kQEtIflaOVQ Posted at 12-16 10:19
Hi Jeff. My husband and i are moving to Nicaragua and plan on traveling the same way you did into Nicaragua. We want to bring our p4 in hopes that it won't get contested at the boarder. Did you have any issues leaving? Did you leave from the Nicaragua Airport?

*taken at the boarder
2018-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules