1172 7 2016-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snathla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Need forum help, I have never flown inside a concrete building and have an opportunity to demo the Inspire 1. I need help on the following:

1. What mode do I fly it in, do I leave it in GPS mode or change to OPTI mode (have never flown in ATTI mode either)?

2. Do I still need to calibrate the Aircraft?

3. If I do the IMU calibration before hand, do I need to do it again?

4. Does the large amount of metal skew anything?

There will be a quite a few folks there, want to keep it safe, no major flying just up and down and move around on the stage. Will be simultanously showing the view of the camera thru the mini HDMI connector onto a projector

Looking forward to some guidance

Thanks
2016-2-18
Use props
ehyde
New
Flight distance : 416568 ft
United States

I would see how it reacts to the building first, so yes I would leave in GPS mode. If it pics up no Sat's then I would swap to Atti mode.. But from all I've read seems you need some experience in ATTI mode. which myself has none. I've flown mine inside and it still picked up up 10 Sat's.
2016-2-18
Use props
snathla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I appreciate the feedback, have some time to see if ATTI mode is something I can comfortable with and then can decide.
2016-2-18
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

As always best suggestions from Paul!

3. No you don't have to do an IMU calibration extra for indoor flight.
4. You must be ok with that, just make sure that your aircraft is not getting too close to it, so you don't get the compass interference
5. You can connect your HDMI almost anywhere, just make sure your projector can support it
Good luck with your flight!
2016-2-18
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

If you decide to fly inside, you might consider obtaining after market prop guards.  Check eBay.
2016-2-19
Use props
Drew Vallejo
lvl.3
United States

I have recently flown in a hotel ballroom which was located underground and most likely the same concrete setup. The best way to fly for me was in ATTI mode because I knew I had full control over the Inspire. I didn't do an IMU calibration but was prompted to do a compass calibration before I could take off from the ground because of an interference ( this could be due to rebar in the floor???). My advice is, make sure you are very comfortable flying in Atti mode and fly very conservatively. Good luck!
2016-2-19
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

I've only flown indoors with the Inspire 1 twice and had issues using OPTI because it was a very smooth floor and the drone was trying to follow its own shadow. It was in a large open space and it started drifting with increasing speed towards its own shadow so unless you have a patterned floor (all the DJI demo areas have black and white floors for best contrast, they also have nets around them) and can avoid shadows under it, I'd avoid OPTI mode and just use ATTI. Also, soft objects (sofa, chairs, bed (a story for another time...) etc.) can confuse the sonar so avoid flying over those if possible, too.

I'm fairly confident with ATTI mode but I come from a background of R/C planes, helicopters and quadcopters with no GPS or barometer, sonar, etc. You have to react as if you're flying one of those cheap ones without all the sensors. Fortunately, it can still maintain the same height - for the most part - just keep it away from the walls/net/people.
2016-2-19
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

I also suggest A  (ATTI mode) . Not P mode.
Problem is in P mode you get enough satellites and the aircraft will go to P GPS and flying will be rather easy, then SURPRISE , it loses the GPS because of interference  and goes into P ATTI . Then if your not prepared for the lose of stability you could impact a fixed object.
Much better to start off in A mode.
I think being comfortable flying Amode is important as training for an emergency response to certain failures.
I use the horizontal drifting as a dolly shot.
I use a landing pad that sits 18" off the floor and that seems to be enough to get away from rebar in concrete causing compass errors.
Hey good luck
2016-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules