Weak Video Signal
3828 25 2016-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536781 ft
New Zealand

In some areas my video signal is very weak and I am unable to record video because the signal keeps on dropping out. I have the video channel on Auto so that it can chose the best channel automatically, but all the channels were very weak. It can't be interference because I was in the middle of a big field away from any buildings or cell towers. All my firmware is up to date, I had no cell phones or anything magnetic.

I use my Inspire 1 Pro for commercial filming so when (like today when I can't get a signal no matter what I do, moving around, changing the antennas changing the HD settings ect) I can't get a signal I have to tell my clients that I can't film and they have wasted a whole days filming $1000s of dollars lost. Today I have lost a client because my drone didn't do what I told them it would do, they were not happy to say the least because lots of planning goes into this, they have to send a whole production crew home, and then I look like an idiot because I can't deliver. For $10,000 NZD I should not have these issues and its very gutting when you have spent over $10,000 on something and it doesn't do what its supposed to do.

If I was using this as a toy it wouldn't matter, but this is my job, I need it to perform like DJI says it does. In reality the signal is temperamental at best, you don't know what you are going to get.

In my second location the video signal was alot better and I was able to film so I know its not faulty, the signal needs boosting. Its rare to see all green bars in the channel settings.
At this second location there was a cell tower and power lines nearby, and it worked fine. The first location had nothing to cause interference and it didn't work so I don't understand why this is happening. It shouldnt matter where you are (especially if you are in a field in the middle of nowhere) the video signal should be strong because it only has to transmit from the drone to the RC, its not like it has to bounce off a satelite. The signal should be strong all the time, no excuses.

Are there any settings that make the video signal stronger so this doesn't happen in the future. I have invested alot of money into this and its not performing how I would expect for the amount of my it cost me.

Sorry if I sound angry but how would you feel if you just spent $10,000 on something and this happened. These things are very expensive, so when you spend lots of money you expect excellent quality. The video transmission signal is below average, this is supposed to be a professional piece of filming equipment.

2016-2-19
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Hi Hailstone,

I'm Melbourne based and have had a number of similar issues with my Inspire.
Assuming that the RC antennas are in the correct positions and not crossed over?
As to suggestions for settings changes - reduce the data rate slider to the minimum position (on the screen where you can select the video transmit channel)

If you've already tried that, sorry, but there's not a lot you can do.
There was a hack posted mid last year that involved loading a file called .djiconfigs back onto your device which was supposed to restore the transmit channel/power limits that DJI introduced.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-27147-1-1.html

DJI support asked me to try this hack when I raised a support ticket about 2nd RC video feed issues. It had no effect for me, but apparently worked for others.

Hope any of this helps - I can empathise with the frustration. The Inspire is nowhere near the UAV that it was when I purchased in back a year ago.
Back then I had kilometers of range with a rock solid signal, a 2nd RC that actually worked for my Cam OP and a bird that could actually track a straight course out and back.
Now, after many firmware and app 'Updates' it's a POS.

In no way, shape or form is the inspire adequate nor suitable for professional  applications.
Yes there are some people out there making it work - but I have to chuckle at the folks who shell out big $$ for X5s (and are now chomping at the bit for X5rs), and are then faced with a whole new set of firmware issues, faults and functions that are 'Coming soon'.

But as long as the fanboys and noobs keep buying the stuff, DJI will keep shipping half-developed products with issues that are denied, support that is disengaged and ignorant of the very basics of customer service, with fixes reluctantly delivered or forever are 'coming soon'.

*rant mode off*

2016-2-20
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-20 03:40
For those in the UK (and, I think, Europe) wondering where this data-rate slider is... We don't have ...

Paul,   can you change your location during setup  (USA) and then Have these features?  Also if you could do this, you could add the additional channels that are available on the Net.  I personally have looked into this  and note a lot of people have good results in the States with the additional channels. ( I, for Scientific Purposes only, can report that it still can be downloaded and works well)

donnie
2016-2-20
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Do you have the option in New Zealand to go to custom channels?  In the states we have this feature, I just dont know about NZ.

cheers-donnie
2016-2-20
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

I have tested the channels firmware uses time ago all with

USA set on tablet ALWAYS set USA only because it may also enhence power output
hackfile installed
lowest mbps setting

IF you have the hack running AND  auto on it actually uses channel 1 (which ia also the one with most range because lower frequency perform slightly better due to FCC tests) and if this channel gets interfered jumps to 13-20. It does not use any other channels though the hack is installed. This is still the best setting as you start woth a superb channel and still have others to jumo in case of interference.

Be aware that Fw 1.6 + newest DJI GO spoil this on SOME devices - reason unknown.

Manually with the hack you can try channel 1-32.

In New Zealand didnt you try for a japanese Inspire with 900 MHz frequencies? THey should be far better.

2016-2-20
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
New Zealand

Hey thanks for all the feed back guys.... Funny.. where are the DJI techs in all of this? Pretty quite. Obviously Im not the only one suffering from this.

Thanks Mr Farnk, I will try this. How will adjusting the data rate slider effect the quality of the image. Assuming I have a slider.

DJI need to address this issue ASAP. Give us more channels, boost the signal somehow, I don't know just fix it.
2016-2-21
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Australia

HAILSTONE AERIA Posted at 2016-2-21 21:17
Hey thanks for all the feed back guys.... Funny.. where are the DJI techs in all of this? Pretty qui ...

It will slightly degrade the image on your tablet, but not affect the recording on the SD card.
I tried the channel hack again last night after my first reply to your post. It worked and I have all the original channels back.

Didn't get to fly any test runs today, but will soon and report back.
2016-2-21
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
New Zealand

Hi Paul, I think you put this comment ^ in the wrong thread.

Yes it did still record to the SD but its no good if you can't see what you are recording.

Thanks all the same,

Glenn
2016-2-21
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Australia

No Hail,
He's referring to the channel hack and region changing, which is said to restore Transmit power and channels that DJI removed last year.
They removed them and cut the power because the original Inspire versions were using an illegal spread of frequencies.
As a commercial operator, going with the hack would be against the spec in his certification.  
2016-2-21
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-2-21 07:36
No Hail,
He's referring to the channel hack and region changing, which is said to restore Transmit p ...

I thought the Original Poster could perhaps do this as a test to see if improves signal quality.  I by no means want anyone to get into trouble.  I saw this as a grey area.  The reason being is if you purchased one of the original DJI products this came standard.  It was then eliminated upon future  Firmware Updates and products.   If you did not do an update than you are feasibly flying in this configuration.  From my Understanding these are currently unused cell frequencies.

This post is intended for the OP and  Lurkers, I used Lucifer ( 666)  as a  segue.

cheers -donnie
2016-2-21
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Can you switch to custom channels In New Zealand?  I know there are some differences ( Transmitter etc) between the UK and USA, I just dont know where NZ falls into what catergory for shipping, laws etc.

Cheers- donnie
2016-2-21
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
New Zealand

Thats alright. Yes you can switch to custom channels but I don't see how that can help because you can only choose one of the eight that auto picks automatically. Correct me if Im wrong.

It is still recording the shot to SD but like I said, if you can't see what you are recording there is no point. You can't guess what you are recording, you have to see it so you can keep the camera on the subject.
2016-2-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

HAILSTONE AERIA Posted at 2016-2-22 12:47
Thats alright. Yes you can switch to custom channels but I don't see how that can help because you c ...

If you are in an area with interference, you can switch to a custom channel to see if the channel you choose gives you better reception then using auto. You can also lower the video transmission quality and that should give you better signal as well.
2016-2-21
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Australia

Hi Hailstone,

Just back from the park (AKA, Farnk666's private aerial testing area) after performing some master/slave RC range tests.
I can confirm that with the channel hack installed, I was able to manually select a clean channel and had no issues on either master nor slave display (ipad mini 2's) at distances of 500+ meters.
That is as far as I'm happy to operate, but was definitely much further than the Inspire was able to manage without the hack.

Worth a try I'd say.
2016-2-22
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

I  think one of the pitfalls to operating on a licence free band is you have to put up with the downsides, one being crowded frequencies where getting your signal heard amongst all the other noise is a problem.
Its a bit like yelling across a crowded room as apposed to an empty one, so its not really a weak signal as much as it is a crowed room that supresses the receivers ability to hear and then reconstruct the signal.
I have this same problem even on paid for frequencies that I operate Microwave links on.......a quick look at the spectrum always shows what I have to deal with....and its getting worse as the years go on.
These days I have to use very tight bandpass filters where not that long ago I didn't need any at all.
Sadly the 2.4 Ghz band is bad, and 5.8 is following very close. These days with portable devices and social media, the frequencies are chock full of crap.......we are lucky to operate at all.
Operating outside the band plan is very dangerous.......for all you know you may be blanking out some sort of life dependant medical equipment and kill someone.......be very very careful......the FCC, ACMA and  various other spectrum management services around the world are very powerful and you can get in one whole bunch of trouble very quick, and the penalties will make your head spin.
2016-2-22
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Australia

FWIW - DJI's own support line suggested and supplied the config file for the 'hack'.

Not saying it's 100% kosher and not saying that you should do it - but it makes the difference between a 2nd RC and tablet being usable or being a $1200 paperweight.
2016-2-22
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-22 23:02
Quite right, Harb.

The technical term (as I am reasonably sure you are aware) is signal-to-noise r ...

Sadly for my parents who ended up with the fine, as I was only 14 odd years old in the mid 70's I did not avoid the radio inspectors of the day........2 years older and they may have jailed me lol.....
I loved wearing the eye patch back in those days, and every car that had more than one antenna was a threat to us and made the adrenaline kick in, haha.......the good old days, but funnily enough I made a life long career out of it, first in Radio and then Television engineering, but I still remember those buggers had more power than the police and used to scare the hell out of us.
2016-2-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-22 19:59
Ken - Please, tell me how I am supposed to lower my transmission rate without access to the "custo ...

Paul,
If you would only update your aircraft you would really benefit from added features and fixes. I don't know about the transmission rate in your area BUT if you Google around and look at the prior posts I'm sure you'll find some help.
Also, I can verify that the battery test i told you I would do works as I said it would. I have my batteries set to 3 day discharge and one battery I pressed the button once or twice a day and it's been almost a week and that battery is still cold and all lights are on. All the other batteries are warm indicating they are auto discharging.
So it doesn't work for you because you have not done any updating since 1.2.
I'm telling you Paul, if you would only update, your life would be so much easier.
If you do not want to update, then DJI cannot offer any assistance in your issues.
Just update Wilbur and he'll be happier, until then none of your issues are going to go away.
That's all I have to say about it.
2016-2-22
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Have you got anyone nearby Paul that you can fly with to see if the latest firmware improves things for you.
I am pretty happy now with a combination of the DJI bird running the Autopilot sorfware........ it all seems to be fairly predictable and I am sure it will work better than the current experience you are having.
Its up to you at the end of the day, but its pretty sad to see you not enjoying your bird.
I am def not saying its perfect, but it hasn't yet stopped me from doing a job.
Good luck mate, I really hope you get a result with it.........you are obviously a pretty smart man, so maybe you are better off doing the upgrade and then dealing with any problems that creates, rather than dealing with what has long passed........maybe DJI would take a different approach as well on future upgrades than they do fixing old ones.
I think the trouble is the bloody industry is moving forward so fast its hard for them to look back.......not sure........but I do hope you find some joy in your investment......they really are fun when you get the shots you are looking for, and with me at least, I get more success than I do failures

Cheers mate
2016-2-22
Use props
cravac
lvl.3
Costa Rica

I had same issues and went with the DBSMods antenna upgrade.
No problems since, probably 150 flights.
I don't care about long distance flight, just needed strong video link to get smooth and steady shots.

more about the upgrade here http://forum.dji.com/thread-40359-1-1.html
2016-2-22
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-23 09:01
Can you achieve 45kts with the current FW release, Harb?

Anything around 20-22m/s would be close e ...

I will see how fast it will go for you next time out.......
I had to do about 62km/h the other day for a job and it did that ok, but to be honest I'm not sure what it had left, but the best way is to test......will let you know how it goes.
2016-2-22
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Yeah our weather is good at the moment thats for sure......this time of the year its between 20c and 30c where I live......mostly in the middle, however when I was doing the last job it was a bit windy....not bad, but I could tell it was making the Gimbal work a bit as the drone moved around..........freezing.....whats that lol when to hits 10c its cold here, we very occasionally see 0c overnight in the depth of winter, so we can't compare to what you guys have to deal with thats for sure
2016-2-22
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 04:36
Paul,
If you would only update your aircraft you would really benefit from added features and fixe ...

DJI Ken, never mind about batteries. What are DJI doing to address the issue of weak video signal. Yesterday I noticed in post production that some of the frames kept on freezing, more footage I can't use!

I have tried selecting different channels and it made no difference, no surprises there. And I don't have a data rate slider, and even if I did it wouldn't make any difference, I know it wouldn't.

DJI needs to send us a signal booster or better channels.

These can not be used professionally because they are too unreliable!
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

HAILSTONE AERIA Posted at 2016-2-23 15:28
DJI Ken, never mind about batteries. What are DJI doing to address the issue of weak video signal. ...

I suggest the channel Upgrade "Hack"  see if that helps your  situation.  At least you could test it.

I know they make boosters but not one from DJI currently.

Also the slider option may help.  It does make a difference for me anyway.

good Luck-  donnie
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Hailstone, Try the channel Hack.  This will at least give you a way to test and see if this is indeed the problem.  Also the slider works great for me when I am pushing distance or want crisp reception close by.  Also I know there are signal boosters out there and there results seem like a mixed bag.  I dont think DJI has a booster on the Horizon.
I have also had good luck with Windsurfer Antenna Booster.  For 25 bucks might be worth a shot.  It is only good at Distances of  at least 500 feet horizontal though.  Remove when closer up. They go on and off in a jiffy.  I can go 13,500 feet with mine no problem

Good Luck Donnie
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

HAILSTONE AERIA Posted at 2016-2-24 05:28
DJI Ken, never mind about batteries. What are DJI doing to address the issue of weak video signal. ...

You said you went to the first location and the video was not good, but at the 2nd location you got good video. That means at your first location there was LOTS of interference.
This video may help some. And if it does not then maybe you should send it in to be looked at.

2016-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules