6994 31 2016-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an Inspire 1 V2.0 and recently upgraded to a Zenmuse X5 camera with the stock DJI 15mm MFT f/1.7 ASPH Prime lens.
Of course, it came without filters. So, in shopping around here's an interesting aspect.
The X5 manual gives no specification, but the Inspire 1 Pro manual does.
"Filters must have a weight of 7-11g with those weighing 10-11g performing the best"

So, I was looking at Polar Pro and Neewer. I went with the Neewers because of the weight, and I am glad I did.
I have the UV (10g) on the camera and it is balanced perfectly. I am sure that 4g less would not be balanced, making the camera 'Back heavy'.
($48.06 less also.) I never let price alone dictate buying decisions. (If that were true would I own an Inspire Pro?!!!)

Polar Pro:
UV Filter: (6 grams)
CP Filter: (7.65 grams)
ND8 Filter: (6 grams)
$99.99 set / 3 with case

Neewer:
UV Filter Weight: 10g
CPL Filter Weight: 10.5g
ND16 Filter Weight: 10g
ND2-400 Filter Weight: 11g
$51.93 set / 4 with wallet

Thought I would pass this along.
Also, the ND2-400 is awesome!! Very cool.
2016-2-20
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

I had a similar positing about ND filters recently. I did not receive much feedback, but I found that Neewer was a clear winner.

Are you using the lens hood with Neewer?
2016-2-22
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

I wonder what the quality is. Is there any color cast? Im using B+W filters on my Oly 12mm and 45mm. Have not noticed any issue with those.
2016-2-22
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes, still need lens hood to balance the camera. Which makes adjusting the ND2-400 a little tricky, but the lens hood isn't difficult to remove / replace at all.
I have seen no issues with the filters. I looked closely them for any blemishes or anomalies and could not find any.  Here,s a night shot I took through the UV.

Night_tower

Night_tower
2016-2-22
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

I am using the ND8 right now. I am thinking of purchasing the entire pack listed on Amazon. Thank you for sharing.
2016-2-23
Use props
iamdorian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68356 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for the post. I would have had a lot more research to do if I hadn't run across your post early on!

Safe flying!
2016-4-25
Use props
carlwingspread
New

Australia

I would start with a 3-stop filter. The 6-stop filter is only going to work on super bright conditions. I'm not sure when a 10-stop filter would ever be appropriate.
2016-4-25
Use props
AAI
lvl.2

United States

Hello all

I just got a set of the Polar Pro ND fliters. The Balance ring that comes on the stock DJI lens I would think should be removed in order to put on the Polar Pro ND Filter,  my problem,  I can't seem to unscrew the Balance ring from the Lens.  Its on there really tight, so tight I feel the force needed would break the lens I feel.  Am I mssing something, does the balance ring not come off to put the ND on?  What am I misssing?

Thanks,
2016-4-25
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>

Use a wide rubber band and your hand to remove the balance ring. Don't use pliers or the ring will bend into an oval. It will come off with rubber band as a grip.
2016-4-25
Use props
windwardbound
lvl.2

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-2-23 07:38
Yes, still need lens hood to balance the camera. Which makes adjusting the ND2-400 a little tricky,  ...

Balancing the camera/lens is critical to the function and general well being of the delicate servo motors that control the direction in which the lens points.  I have posted with regard to this issue in previous posts.  All of us that fly the X5 with different lenses (I use 5 different lenses) have run into this problem in the past.  Some pay close attention to the issue of balance, some don't.  The servo motors that control camera direction are adequate BUT, the assumption is that WE will address the balancing problem ourselves while using different lenses with the Inspire 1 Pro.  DJI had no way of knowing which lenses we might use.  They supplied us with balancing rings to use when the camera/lens was "back heavy".  Some have even taped coins to the camera body so they could use different filter combinations that added a lot of weight on the front of the lens..  I use a variable ND filter almost every time I film/fly.  This requires me to add counter weight to the back of the camera.  Sometimes when I use different filters and a lens hood it requires nearly 18 grams of counter-weight to the back of the camera.  Please be sensitive to this problem and DO NOT burn up these motors.  They are expensive!  I learned to hard way.  The best solution that I found is the Zenmuse X5 Camera/Lens Balancing Kit.  It can be purchased on eBay and will provide you with all of the counter-weight you may need and, you can place the weights exactly where they are needed.  This Kit will allow you to perfectly balance the camera regardless of the extra equipment you might add to the front of the lens, i.e.: hoods, filters, etc., etc.  Hope this helps, it worked for me.  www.ebay.com/itm/-/182063679059?  You may have to copy this link and paste it in your browser window or do a search on eBay for Zenmuse X5 Balancing Kit.  Good luck and fly safe!
2016-4-25
Use props
Working Wonders
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57844 ft
United Kingdom

windwardbound Posted at 2016-4-26 05:19
Balancing the camera/lens is critical to the function and general well being of the delicate servo ...

What a surprise! So you are the seller. Why not be up front instead of trying to mislead people?
2016-5-6
Use props
windwardbound
lvl.2

United States

Working Wonders Posted at 2016-5-7 02:55
What a surprise! So you are the seller. Why not be up front instead of trying to mislead people?

Who's hiding anything?  Does it matter who sells them?  If you don't want it, DON"T BUY IT.  Hope your gimbal motors last forever, wish mine had.  This is an issue that DJI has not addressed.  Yes we have an platform that allows for interchangeable lenses, but no way of accommodating the differences in weight and using filters and hoods just makes it worse.  If you are somehow offended by this, I know a good shrink!
2016-5-6
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

windwardbound Posted at 2016-5-6 19:48
Who's hiding anything?  Does it matter who sells them?  If you don't want it, DON"T BUY IT.  Hope y ...

Ok... This is pretty simple. When you say "The best solution I've found" instead of "You can purchase the kit I'm selling" You are misleading folks and fact is, you'll lose more customers than you would possibly have gained. I know you lost me. Too bad.
2016-5-6
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

Come to think of it, my lens goes limp nose heavy with stock attachments..  Why Do you suppose that Dji created the system with such tight tolerances as to over weighting the gimbal motors?  I think we're getting a bit hung up on the balancing issue. My 2 cents.
2016-5-7
Use props
windwardbound
lvl.2

adam1 Posted at 2016-5-8 04:12
Come to think of it, my lens goes limp nose heavy with stock attachments..  Why Do you suppose that  ...

The gimbal motors as they are, will lift the nose and fight any tilt be it left or right.  Mine worked for awhile and seemed to be fine.  As I bought different lenses and added a variable ND filter and others, the problem got a little worse.  One day I started noticing a noise coming from the gimbal when I tilted the camera up and down.  I considered perhaps looking at lubrication, etc., etc.  The noise got worse and one day the camera stopped responding to gimbal commands.  Burnt them up!  Anyway, after the repair I figured out a way to take the load off the gimbal motors by balancing the camera/lens.  Some have used coins taped to their equipment, all kinds of different types of material.  Some lenses with just a UV filters need nothing, sometimes I have to use a lens hood just to balance the tilt.  What I have found is that by balancing the camera/lens/filters or hoods, I am taking away the extra stress on the motors and the response to the pan and tilt commands happen more smoothly without a lot of jittering or drag.

With only the Oly 17mm or the DJI 15mm the gimbal motors can probably take the stress and perform acceptably.  The Oly 12mm, the 25mm and the 45mm definitely need counterweight.  My thinking is this:  I can balance the system with counterweight when I am using my variable ND (it is a little heavy but, the lightest I could find) or a combination of filters or a hood, and get it perfectly balanced to the point that when I cut the power to the aircraft, the camera stays pointing perfectly straight and level.  It takes no time at all and it takes ALL the stresses placed on the gimbal motors to counter-effect the weight in using different equipment, etc.  Call me paranoid, but it works for me.  Burning up my motors cost me +/- $450.00, the remedy was cheap and the overall performance was improved!  

Now, as for OSMO, that's a bird of a different color.  First when mounting the X5 to the OSMO, the orientation as compared to the Inspire is upside-down!  Really not that big of deal but, the balance seem even worse when using a few of the heavier lenses.  The solution is the same but requires much more counterweight because of the dynamics of the camera orientation and position over the handle.  I hate to think what the future holds for those that dismiss the issue of balance.  Perhaps not a very pretty picture.  To me it really doesn't matter which solution anybody uses to reduce/eliminate the effects of a grossly unbalanced camera/lens whether on the Inspire or the OSMO, just do something or, pay-the-piper.  

I have taken a few bullets for being the "seller" of the balancing kit and as much as I am not really affected by such things, I don't need the negative karma of identifying a problem just so I can sell you the solution.  If you knew the amount of profit after free shipping and gathering all the parts, it is laughable.  To those that might question my personal motives, if you can't afford it and want one, or question it's value, email me at; skyviewglobalmail@gmail.com and I will send you one FOC.

I did this to HELP people avoid the mistake I made.  I thought the gimbal could deal with any reasonably light micro 4/3 lens.  Wrong I was.  I'm sure at some point DJI will either start using stronger gimbal motors capable of handling all the future lenses that will eventually be approved for use.  The camera will accept any micro 4/3 lenses but, the application may not support them making them worthless.

Sorry for the "wordy" response, it's a bad habit that I can't seem to brake!  Good luck and fly safe!
2016-5-8
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

Makes sense I guess.  If it has to work less it can't hurt.  Maybe I was myopic in the fact that I have just the 15mm
2016-5-8
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>

AAI Posted at 2016-4-25 22:32
Hello all

I just got a set of the Polar Pro ND fliters. The Balance ring that comes on the stock  ...

Just following up to make sure you got the balancing ring off and our filters installed ok?

Hope you are enjoying them!

Jeff
2016-5-16
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

it looks nice
love your work!
2016-6-16
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Working Wonders Posted at 2016-5-6 10:55

PMSL... good spot dude!....
Indeed why not be upfront about it??
2017-1-25
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-2-22 15:38
Yes, still need lens hood to balance the camera. Which makes adjusting the ND2-400 a little tricky, but the lens hood isn't difficult to remove / replace at all.
I have seen no issues with the filters. I looked closely them for any blemishes or anomalies and could not find any.  Here,s a night shot I took through the UV.

why on gods earth would you use a UV filter at night?

It just does not make any sense!
2017-1-25
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Coigreach Posted at 2017-1-25 08:11
why on gods earth would you use a UV filter at night?

It just does not make any sense!

Simply to balance the camera and protect the lens.
I would never use a lens without protection on Drone or DSLR cameras.
2017-1-25
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-1-25 09:16
Simply to balance the camera and protect the lens.
I would never use a lens without protection on Drone or DSLR cameras.

unless you are spending a great deal of money buying quality glass (uv filters) to be used only during the day I personally would not bother! Each to their own.
But in a dark environment (night time) with bright lights you can easily get what is called 'Ghosting' this is where light reflects of the sensor back through the lens elements and  has the potential to be reflected back into the sensor causing "ghosting"

but like I said each to their own.
Happy snapping

image taken from internet

image taken from internet
2017-1-25
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hmmm... Interesting.  
So, when shooting in dark you use no filter at all?
2017-1-25
Use props
mercury451
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108743 ft
United States

can you post a link to your filter set?  I can't seem to find it anywhere.  thanks
2017-1-26
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

mercury451 Posted at 2017-1-26 18:45
can you post a link to your filter set?  I can't seem to find it anywhere.  thanks

All I can find in 46mm is an adjustable nd filter. For some reason, they seem to have stopped making their 4 piece sets. I even went to the Neewer website. Oh well, guess you'll have to use PP.
2017-1-26
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

This showed up overnight......same seller I bought mine from.
Neewer filter set eBay

2017-1-27
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

mercury451 Posted at 2017-1-26 18:45

We have a pretty large selection of ND's and ND/PL filters available for the X5 / X5S camera on our site.
More than happy to answer any questions if you have any,

-Jeff from PolarPro

2017-1-27
Use props
mercury451
lvl.2
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2017-1-27 08:27
We have a pretty large selection of ND's and ND/PL filters available for the X5 / X5S camera on our site.
More than happy to answer any questions if you have any,

thanks Jeff
2017-1-27
Use props
mercury451
lvl.2
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-1-27 05:27
This showed up overnight......same seller I bought mine from.
Neewer filter set eBay

I found them here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]
thanks
2017-1-27
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

mercury451 Posted at 2017-1-27 17:59
I found them here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018X1JDPK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]
thanks

$59.99 on amazon, $37.02 on ebay. Same set. I bought mine from that same seller on ebay so I know they are legit.
2017-1-28
Use props
fanscb179702
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11240 ft
United States

So please correct me if I'm wrong, the balancing ring installed from factory on the DJI 15mm cannot be trusted to provide perfect balance to the X5? How about on the Oly 14-45mm zoom, DJI sells a balancing ring for it, isn't it tested to be appropriate? Is there additional balancing that needs to be performed on each of these lenses even if the factory recommended rings hoods and or filters is used?
2017-3-30
Use props
fanscb179702
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11240 ft
United States

fanscb179702 Posted at 2017-3-30 13:38
So please correct me if I'm wrong, the balancing ring installed from factory on the DJI 15mm cannot be trusted to provide perfect balance to the X5? How about on the Oly 14-45mm zoom, DJI sells a balancing ring for it, isn't it tested to be appropriate? Is there additional balancing that needs to be performed on each of these lenses even if the factory recommended rings hoods and or filters is used?

2017-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules