Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Self charging batteries in flight?
2311 11 2016-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

FOR THE ELEC. ENGINEERS AND OTHER WIZARDS HERE:

Is it possible to design a UAV that uses the energy output of the turning motors in flight to re-charge the battery? Just a thought on a lazy Sunday morning...
2016-2-21
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Now that would be forward thinking! I wonder if the thin solar sheet could be adapted to the top surface to put power back into the aircraft. The problem I see is the energy drain far exceeds the ability to charge the system  back. Someday we will more efficient motors and pretty soon a new battery chemistry that will give us more flight time

Rich
2016-2-21
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-21 10:41
Now that would be forward thinking! I wonder if the thin solar sheet could be adapted to the top sur ...

Solar panels, I like your thinking...I operate in Arizona, sunshine 364, wait (peeking out the window), 365 days of the year!Another thought, I've tried using an inverter to charge a battery, took forever with engine running. Anybody has recommendation for an inverter that works?
Never mind. I see DJI does not recommend inverter charging, possible damage to batthery?
2016-2-21
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-21 09:41
Now that would be forward thinking! I wonder if the thin solar sheet could be adapted to the top sur ...

The power could channel right back to the motors and the battery would only supply the rest of the power needed to keep the drone up. It works the same with electric cars
2016-2-21
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I took a class in college that had to do with laws of physics and without going into to much detail, plain and simple it's just not possible. But in a few years we will be able to enjoy long flight times as the battery technology plays catch up.
2016-2-21
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-21 11:30
You're going to need to put about 400W into that system. That's no mean feat. I mean, the Inspire re ...

Thanks, I vaguely remembered something about a close system and energy's properties.  You mentioned Hydrogen and for a moment I had a vision of the Hindenburg, and my first Phantom crash...
"Oh, the humanity  o–ohhh! I–I can't talk, ladies and gentlemen. Honest, it's just laying there, a mass of smoking wreckage.   Ah, ah—I can't. I, listen, folks, I–I'm gonna have to stop for a minute because I've lost my voice. This is the worst thing I've ever witnessed."
2016-2-21
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

You are talking about some sort of flying Tesla! I think it will not be possible with the drone. However there could be somebody smart who knows how to make self  charging drones.
2016-2-21
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

I have the solution............  You're going to need a really long cord though.

2016-2-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Starship Posted at 2016-2-23 04:36
I have the solution............  You're going to need a really long cord though.

Yup, that picture is about the only way you can do it. (a really long cord)
Solar is 100% out.
My car has regenerative braking and only puts a small amount of charge back in the battery when braking. but on a long trip every 100 miles puts a few miles back in the battery somehow. But on a multirotor it will not happen, at least not anytime soon.
2016-2-22
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

perpetuum mobile.. aint gonna happen
what about nuclear reactor inside p3 or inspire.

i heard those aircraft carriers can work for years without charging

2016-2-23
Use props
JacobVR
New

United States

I run the same charger. As car cigarette lighter ports put out 12v, you can run the accucel directly off it. I had parts on hand, that I was able to make my own, but you just need to find a cigarette lighter adaptor (radio shack) and the right size round plug that goes into the accucel and make your own charger out of it. Most cars should be capable of putting out enough power through it. My SUV has a max of 120w from the port so plenty. Keep in mind while charging it will drain your battery, don't let it run you so flat you can't start. I generally charge while I'm driving. Alternatively, if you're just charging stationary, you could use the alligator clips that came with the accucel directly on the battery.
2016-2-23
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

I'm Guessing your talking about having the motors recharge the battery when they are braking? Kind of like regenerative braking system in cars?  Possible I guess, but the extra weight of a system like this would probably outweigh any benefits.

Solar panels are another bad idea (currently), once again the extra weight of a panel almost always outweighs any benefit the panel would give. Especially on the inspire series which don't really have any flat surfaces to put a film one.

2016-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules