[SOLVED] P3A Pictures and Video Upward Curve
1666 29 2016-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
danieldust
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40837 ft
United States

I just got finished taking pictures today and the quality is Superb on the P3A.
However, I do have one problem. When you look in the middle there is a slight upward curve looking kind of like a hill, and it is in every picture I take. It is flat on the left and right, but goes up in the middle. However, there is no hill in Florida and definitely not when the curve is in every picture. Is there a way to fix this? It is really annoying.

Thank You.
20160220-DJI_0084-min.jpg
2016-2-22
Use props
dcarter0001
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3862 ft
United States

Its the curvature of the earth
2016-2-22
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
United States

dcarter0001 Posted at 2016-2-23 08:57

Are you sure the curve is that much??
2016-2-22
Use props
Rotareneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 676634 ft
United States

It's barrel distortion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_%28optics%29
2016-2-22
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Shoot in .DNG, and edit in lightroom or similar program that has profiles for the DJI lens, and it will correct them automatically, along with vignetting etc.
2016-2-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

dcarter0001 Posted at 2016-2-23 11:57

No, it is not the curvature of the earth. Every lens has imperfections of some sort. Some are taken care of in the camera, some not.
2016-2-22
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Actually, that is partly curvature which is exaggerated by the wide angle of the lens.  The 'GoPro' effect, if you will.  If it is annoying, you can fix it in post.  At least on the Pro, the major distortion that is fixed by Photoshop / Lightroom is a sort of bubble in the center of the lens.  But you can easily flatten the curve using those programs or pretty much any picture editor.
2016-2-22
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

Lightroom -> Lens Correction -> Enable

By default it should detect the EXIF data of the photo and apply the correction, otherwise, just select DJI and the Drone.
2016-2-22
Use props
rasit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386089 ft
United States

Has nothing to do with the curvature of the earth, it's in the lens.  Curvature of the earth is like 8" in a mile, not something you can see from a drone. You can barely see it from a plane at 30,000 ft.
2016-2-22
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

It's barrel distortion and you can fix it in Adobe camera raw. it has profile for DJI devices.
2016-2-23
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

imagines.and.wo Posted at 2016-2-23 19:25
It's barrel distortion and you can fix it in Adobe camera raw. it has profile for DJI devices.

That's a lot  of votes for barrel distortion but does everyone get a curved horizon like that?
I just checked a few flights I've done  from the  last few months with sea horizons.
And running the Photoshop ruler over low, high and mid level horizons, they are all dead straight.

I've had dead straight horizons ever since I upgraded from fw 1.1.9 ages ago.
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

You can get rid of this thing in the Lightroom, applying the lens correction.Nice picture BTW
2016-2-23
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-23 18:49
You can get rid of this thing in the Lightroom, applying the lens correction.Nice picture BTW

Thanks, I like it to.
I don't feel like I should be obligated to pay for an upgrade in lightroom (I have L5), just because DJI has made a mistake in my lens. If DJI gives me the upgrade to the lens correction profile, then no problem.
I am at firmware 1.4 and have stayed there because of the complaints coming from 1.5 and 1.6.

I have not crashed and always use the auto-land to make sure there never is a bump while landing.

I am sure this is not normal, or everyone else's unedited photos would be that way too.
Thanks,
Daniel
2016-2-23
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-23 17:32
That's a lot  of votes for barrel distortion but does everyone get a curved horizon like that?
I j ...

It seems like there is no one that has the barrel distortion what I have.
I shouldn't have to upgrade to Lightroom 6 just to fix a mistake DJI has given me..
2016-2-23
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-23 21:49

The issue isn't can this be corrected.
It's is this normal for a p3 or is it a fault in the camera.
My Phantom has perfectly straight horizons .. not curved at all.
2016-2-23
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-23 12:37
The issue isn't can this be corrected.
It's is this normal for a p3 or is it a fault in the camera ...

On jpg's or DNG's?

If it's jpg's it's more than likely  being corrected in-camera during conversion.  If DNG's then your conversion software may be correcting it automatically.   If you're looking at DNG's with image preview software, you'll be looking at a small jpg saved within the DNG file that has also been adjusted automatically.

Adobe Lightroom 6 has a profile which corrects this & it's quite obvious when you apply it to a DNG.
2016-2-23
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

danieldust Posted at 2016-2-23 12:28
It seems like there is no one that has the barrel distortion what I have.
I shouldn't have to upgr ...

It's not a mistake on anybody's part.  All lenses have distortion, wide angle zoom's are the worst followed by wide angle primes.  Unless you want to spend upwards of $1000 for the lens alone, you're not likely to get much better.  You need a lens correction profile to correct it, which is the case for every lens ever made.  Adobe make the profiles for Lightroom, not DJI.
2016-2-23
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-23 23:38
On jpg's or DNG's?

If it's jpg's it's more than likely  being corrected in-camera during conversi ...

Does your camera do this?
2016-2-23
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-23 23:42
It's not a mistake on anybody's part.  All lenses have distortion, wide angle zoom's are the worst ...

I know people that shoot in DNG and they do not have that problem. DJI Needs to fix this-.
2016-2-23
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

danieldust Posted at 2016-2-23 20:14
I know people that shoot in DNG and they do not have that problem. DJI Needs to fix this-.

DNG is just a RAW format, it doesn't contain any manipulation of the image, otherwise it wouldn't be RAW data.  The people you know use different cameras with different lenses with different distortion profiles.  There really is nothing that can be fixed without redesigning the lens.

If it was something for DJI to fix, camera/lens profiles wouldn't exist, but they do for almost every current mainstream camera/lens available.  The only thing DJI can do is provide processing software which includes the camera profile.  If they do, you can be sure it'll be a lot less useable than Lightroom.
2016-2-23
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

danieldust Posted at 2016-2-23 20:13
Does your camera do this?

I don't shoot jpg's, I shoot DNG & use the Lightroom profile to correct the distortion.  

Why don't you test it yourself?

I have been looking at a video I took today though & it shows the same distortion, so it's not being corrected in video, although this may be due to the processing power required.
2016-2-23
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

danieldust Posted at 2016-2-23 20:14

Check out this lens test Carl ZEISS Distagon T* Wide-Angle Lens.  Go to page 2 & look at the distortion graph.  This is a £1000 Carl Zeiss lens!  There are many others on that site from the top lens makers in the world, have a look at some.  One or two are almost distortion free, but you'll struggle to find them.  The lens on the P3 probably cost around £50 retail if it was sold separately.
2016-2-23
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-24 04:52
I don't shoot jpg's, I shoot DNG & use the Lightroom profile to correct the distortion.  

Why don ...

At the end of the day. I should not be obligated to pay for an expensive that I honestly have to say, I don't have the money for just to fix a problem that I did not create!
I am almost positive that not everyone using a P3 to take pictures whether it is JPEG or DNG (Mine both have the Curvature effect) does NOT have Lightroom or Photoshop. And I have seen awesome pictures coming from them without Lightroom and they DO NOT have the problem I have.
Here is what I saw Tahoe_ED (Admin) answer in another thread about whether the fisheye is in effect with the P3.
''Sorry but the P3 camera has a rectilinear lens.  Little or no fisheye.  It is the same as the Inspire.''

Also the ''Hill'' effect that I have isn't just in the center. It is sometimes on the left and right sides of the image. I have shot in JPEG and there is still the problem.
https://drive.google.com/folderv ... Qk42dzg&usp=sharing
2016-2-23
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

danieldust Posted at 2016-2-23 22:15
At the end of the day. I should not be obligated to pay for an expensive that I honestly have to sa ...

Show me an image that hasn't got the problem & hasn't been corrected in Adobe software or similar.
Here's one of my images with & without correction.  You'll see the one without is identical to yours.

This is standard practice for photographers.  You may not like it, but that's the way it is.  What's more, I guarantee you won't get it fixed.

DJI_0640-226312.jpg
DJI_0640-226312-2.jpg
2016-2-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

danieldust Posted at 2016-2-24 09:15
At the end of the day. I should not be obligated to pay for an expensive that I honestly have to sa ...

It is obvious that you are not well versed in camera technology. All camera lenses have some distorions, and many are corrected in the camera itself. The camera on a Phantom is a cheap camera, roughly equivalent to a GoPro, most of the money you pay for a Phantom is in the aircraft and the gimbal system. The means to correct it are within your grasp, with Lightroom. If you choose not to buy a copy, then you will have to live with the problem.
2016-2-23
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-24 06:32
Show me an image that hasn't got the problem & hasn't been corrected in Adobe software or similar. ...

Thanks mate. I got it fixed. Since I have LR5, I found a post that is a few months old containing the picture profiles for the P3 and I transfered it over into my LR5 folder. And it Works!! I want to thank you for letting me know that this is a standard issue. There is actually a reply that you posted that has exactly the same problem in your image as mine. Incase anyone needs it I attached the file to transfer into the following Path. Program Files / Adobe/ Lightroom 5/ Resources/ Lens Profiles/Then Delete the contents inside that folder and transfer the contents from the zip inside the Lens Profiles folders. Open LR5 and go to Profiles and it should work!
Here is the  download link:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-ySqrQ5un8penRWWWtTMGNCNzg

Again Thanks Everyone!
This thread has been solved

2016-2-23
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
United States

The Fixed picture with the lens profile:
20160220-DJI_0084-min (1).jpg
2016-2-23
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

danieldust Posted at 2016-2-23 22:54
Thanks mate. I got it fixed. Since I have LR5, I found a post that is a few months old containing t ...

No problem, glad you got it sorted.
2016-2-23
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

danieldust Posted at 2016-2-23 20:20
Thanks, I like it to.
I don't feel like I should be obligated to pay for an upgrade in lightroom ( ...

Well go pay $10k+ for a drone and camera that can lift the weight size and expense of an "perfect" wide angle lens.

Wide angle lenses are notoriously hard to design and manufacture, and good ones are expensive and heavy/large. I have wide angle lenses that cost more then an whole Phantom 3  Pro, and while good still have small amounts of distortion.
2016-2-23
Use props
danieldust
lvl.2
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-24 07:29
Well go pay $10k+ for a drone and camera that can lift the weight size and expense of an "perfect" ...

Ha $10K, I'll put that as a down payment for a car
I got it all solved. Thank You.
2016-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules