Gps Broken ?
5194 9 2015-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mark
New

United States

After a hard crash, my GPS doesnt work. No satellites seen and when i connect to the Assistant s/w it doesnt report any GPS loader, hardware or software. Also, i can't fly, or i mean, i cant even start the motors. SOmewhere i read that you can't fly without a GPS connected - you can fly with no GPS lock, but the GPS unit has to be connected. Based on this, sounds like i have to replace the GPS unit. I have taken it apart and can't see any issues with the GPS hardware, but i guess i have to just buy a new unit and hope thats the only problen. Any other thoughts on how to diagnose the situation? The Phantom 2 Vision is only a month old, but given that i have opened it up, I guess it wont be under warranty, right?

thanks,
Mark
2015-1-6
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

The crash would have voided the warranty anyway. Did you look at the ceramic antenna? you do have to remove the entire GPS unit from the aircraft to see it. This small antenna tends to get cracked quite easy.
2015-1-6
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Motors want start if gps unit is unplugged.  if its plugged in(double check, make sure) and still don't start,then sounds like GPS unit is faulty.
2015-1-6
Use props
mark
New

United States

momochi Posted at 2015-1-7 08:55
The crash would have voided the warranty anyway. Did you look at the ceramic antenna? you do have to ...

The ceramic part looks ok. But even if it was cracked, i would expect the rest of the electronics on the GPS board to at least respond to the Assistant s/w when it queries for version numbers? Also, v3.6 of assistant keeps telling me i need to update the controller s/w before i can goto the other Tabs (it didn't and doesn't do this with v 3.0). Is this a known issue?
Can you confirm that the phantom wont fly (or even idle) with the GPS module unplugged?
Thanks,
2015-1-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

mark@heatzig.co Posted at 2015-1-7 09:22
The ceramic part looks ok. But even if it was cracked, i would expect the rest of the electronics  ...

With the GPS antenna unplugged, it will not start.  Did you take it apart and disconnect the GPS wire before you attempted to start it after the crash?
2015-1-6
Use props
mark
New

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-7 09:37
With the GPS antenna unplugged, it will not start.  Did you take it apart and disconnect the GPS w ...

No, we tried to fly it a few hours later but couldn't get a GPS lock and noticed it would not even start up. Then connected to Assistant s/w to look for fault and saw that there was no GPS info (loader, h/w or s/w). My guess i s i just have to buy another GPS unit for $160...
2015-1-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

mark@heatzig.co Posted at 2015-1-7 10:38
No, we tried to fly it a few hours later but couldn't get a GPS lock and noticed it would not even ...

You might have cracked the ceramic tile on the GPS antenna.  When you take apart, check the tile on the top of the antenna.
2015-1-6
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Without the GPS cable attached, the phantom will just flash yellow and not start. I'm guessing it would do the same if the GPS was faulty too.
2015-1-7
Use props
grandslam28.gma
New

United States

If it is only a cracked antenna the Phantom should start but may read 0 satellites. The Phantom will not start with a defective GPS board or unplugged GPS board. I crashed mine. It would start but not lock on to satellites. The ceramic antenna was cracked. When I unplugged the GPS the Phantom would not start. I replaced the ceramic antenna with a $4 replacement from Digi-Key. (check Youtube on how to do this) Only problem I had was that I fried the board trying to unsolder the old antenna. It uses lead free solder which is a pain to melt if you don't know what you are doing (like me). I finally took it to an electronics place to install the new antenna. I think I overheated some components on the board because when I plugged the board back in to the Phantom it would not turn on. Now I'm spending $160 for a new board anyway.
2015-1-31
Use props
culnara69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 96014 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Mark, did you get your issue resolved? I have a similar problem, not finding satellites and assistant showing Hardware ID 0.0.0.0 Firmware 0.0.0.0
I had a small crash ( not hard ) blindly flew backwards into a sand dune, I have removed the GPS module and it all looks fine - no cracks etc

was it still your GPS module that was the problem?
2015-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules