Follow Me mode on Nexus 7
1776 12 2016-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nick4098
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I use a Nexus 7 II tablet to fly my P3A with DJI Go app.  It all works fine, EXCEPT I can't get the 'follow me' mode to work.  POI works fine, though.

I'm pretty sure the Nexus has a GPS chip, and ought to work with follow me.

Does anyone have any experience of using this tablet with follow me, and if so did it work for you?  Are there any settings I have missed that I should change to get it working?

Thanks in advance.

Nick
2016-2-24
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

The GO App integration with the various mobile devices can give varying results for follow me as the device must provide adequate signal to locate the RC and provide follow-me feedback to the P3.
With any IOC activity, always ensure your RTH is set appropriately. On your mobile device, prior to aircraft launch, you can use one of several Play Store apps to verify your GPS strength:

GPS Status & Toolbox
AndroiTS GPS Test Free
GPS Data
Glympse
and lots of others, Find one you like!
2016-2-25
Use props
thegrindlab
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Follow Mode definitely works with the Nexus 7 (2013). Of the 3 tablets I fly with, my Nexus 7 is the oldest, yet also provides the best experience with DJI Go. I have used this tablet (it DOES have GPS) for Follow Mode on the Phantom 3 Standard as well as the Professional. It's so solid in fact that I trust my kids with the controller. What happens when you attempt to use this mode and what are your steps to accomplish it?
2016-2-25
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

terrylewis Posted at 2016-2-25 05:28
The GO App integration with the various mobile devices can give varying results for follow me as the device must provide adequate signal to locate the RC and provide follow-me feedback to the P3.
With any IOC activity, always ensure your RTH is set appropriately. On your mobile device, prior to aircraft launch, you can use one of several Play Store apps to verify your GPS strength:

If it's a device recommended by Dji, as the Google Nexus 7 II is, are you saying it still may not work? If so, where does that leave people who are looking for a device, they don't come cheap
2017-1-24
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-24 11:50
If it's a device recommended by Dji, as the Google Nexus 7 II is, are you saying it still may not work? If so, where does that leave people who are looking for a device, they don't come cheap

Given that the device has a functioning GPS module and acquires/maintains sufficient GPS data to determine its location, then the device will work.

But there are scenarios that become troublesome:

DJI recommended devices may or may not include internal GPS modules capable of supporting these functions. For example, Wi-Fi-only iOS devices do not include GPS. You must buy the cellular version for inclusion of the device GPS. Some DJI recommended devices include 'Assisted GPS' that allows the device to retrieve some of the GPS data via the mobile network, so these type of devices when operated outside cell tower range, or purchased as Wi-Fi-only won't provide the needed data since they won't have the necessary mobile network connectivity to determine location.

There are some flight locations that might block GPS signals to the mobile device such as those filled with city high-rise buildings, trees, or mountainous terrain.  

The Nexus 7 II has full GPS support. So given that the pilot's location has and maintains suffcient GPS satelite connectivity to the device, then it should definitely work.

Sorry for the misleading response.
2017-1-24
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

Do you use DJI GO 3.1.2 ?
If so, just search internet and playstore for follow mode and 3.1.2. - you will find many since 18.1.2017.
To me it sounds that this could also be related to the new gps bug in Go!

P3S, latest FW, Nexus 7 2nd gen, DJI GO 3.1.2. Android
2017-1-24
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

thegrindlab Posted at 2016-2-25 07:29
Follow Mode definitely works with the Nexus 7 (2013). Of the 3 tablets I fly with, my Nexus 7 is the oldest, yet also provides the best experience with DJI Go. I have used this tablet (it DOES have GPS) for Follow Mode on the Phantom 3 Standard as well as the Professional. It's so solid in fact that I trust my kids with the controller. What happens when you attempt to use this mode and what are your steps to accomplish it?

Do you have the cellular one i.e. SIM in it? Dji say it isn't required but recommended
2017-1-24
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Daroga Posted at 2017-1-24 12:26
Given that the device has a functioning GPS module and acquires/maintains sufficient GPS data to determine its location, then the device will work.

But there are scenarios that become troublesome:

No that's a good response. I am fairly technically minded but I find some of this very confusing and the manuals are not much use. So, to be clear before I go out and buy a device that I didn't realise I needed - the Google Nexus 7 2013 second generation should work OK without a SIM in it, as I don't want to use it as a phone or have a contract just for this?
2017-1-24
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-24 13:03
No that's a good response. I am fairly technically minded but I find some of this very confusing and the manuals are not much use. So, to be clear before I go out and buy a device that I didn't realise I needed - the Google Nexus 7 2013 second generation should work OK without a SIM in it, as I don't want to use it as a phone or have a contract just for this?

Correct. You don't need the SIM card or data contract for the GPS to provide location data. You may need to cache maps over Wi-Fi prior to flying.

Hopefully, thegrindlab or Formentera can/will confirm if you even need the cellular model as I believe the Nexus 7 gen 2 has GPS in both Wi-Fi and cellular models, but I only have the Samsung Note 4 and two iOS devices. Both of my Apple devices are cellular so that the GPS module is included, but neither have SIM cards and they work perfectly.
2017-1-24
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Daroga Posted at 2017-1-24 13:28
Correct. You don't need the SIM card or data contract for the GPS to provide location data. You may need to cache maps over Wi-Fi prior to flying.

Hopefully, thegrindlab or Formentera can/will confirm if you even need the cellular model as I believe the Nexus 7 gen 2 has GPS in both Wi-Fi and cellular models, but I only have the Samsung Note 4 and two iOS devices. Both of my Apple devices are cellular so that the GPS module is included, but neither have SIM cards and they work perfectly.

Thank you, I wish I had got such a good response from the Dji support live chat ;-)
2017-1-24
Use props
formentera
lvl.2

Germany

As far as my experience goes, i could fly flawless before 3.1.2.,  without downloading /cache google maps for nexus gen2. You do not need a sim.
As far as i know DJI GO only uses the data of the gps module of the nexus 2 or any phone/tablet and not google maps - but that is only what i think.
After my bad experience with 3.1.2. i also downloaded maps to check my "real" position on google maps or navigator.
As i mentioned before: to me the problem is part of the gps bug - assuming you use 3.1.2.
2017-1-24
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

I have a Nexus 7 II and had issues with it. Haven't tried the follow me, but was having issues and couldn't figure it out. SO I uninstalled the DJIGO and re installed, been working great ever since. Hopefully I can get out on the weekend, I'll try the follow me and let you know
2017-1-24
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-24 12:55
Do you have the cellular one i.e. SIM in it? Dji say it isn't required but recommended

No. I do sometimes have it connected to my mobile phone via WIFI though. The data connection is not required for solid GPS services at all though. I only used it so satellite images are downloaded as I fly.
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules