DJI Phantom 2. Fly away problems after firmware update
2807 20 2016-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wipspeed
lvl.1

Denmark

Hey everyone i'm new here on the DJI Forum.
i'm gonna step down from my high horse, since i can't fix this issue myself. And in the needs of help
"Which BTW have takken me about a year or so to get my head out of my *** and make a thread about the issue"

Anywho. last year back in May. 16. 2015 i had my first Flyaway with my DJI P2. after updating from v3.08 to v3.14
and i was wondering of it's possible to flash the firmware v3.14 back to v3.08  

any help is appreciated :-)

Here's a video, a week before the flyaway / Crash. Firmware v3.08

here's a video with the flyaway & Crash. Firmware v3.14

2016-2-24
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Looks like one hell of an expensive roofing job is in order.
I don't know of any way to flashback the FW.  Sorry
2016-2-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Check out this link..http://youtu.be/v7sg_7FmZ4g
It should answer the "how to"
Good luck..
2016-2-25
Use props
Wipspeed
lvl.1

Denmark

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-2-26 02:16
Check out this link..http://youtu.be/v7sg_7FmZ4g
It should answer the "how to"
Good luck..

Thanks. This video is the most informative video iv'e seen so far, on how to do a hard reset.

I might gonna try that, but first i need the jumper cables :-)
2016-2-27
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Happy to help, several have done it and worked good for them.
Good Success!
2016-2-27
Use props
Wipspeed
lvl.1

Denmark

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-2-26 02:04
Looks like one hell of an expensive roofing job is in order.
I don't know of any way to flashback th ...

It sure is. And it was a lot of fun for me since it was my first inspection job,
you can see i had a lot of space to fly in :-)
2016-2-27
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

There is a lot of us that are flying with the latest firmware with no issues what so ever. I don't really think a fly a way is associated with a firmware upgrade. I think the fly a way just happens in its sequence when you did the up grade. Sorry about that. Most fly a way issues seem to be dealing with GPS issues or actually the quads loss of home lock info and gets lost. A better way to thing about it is if you were in a new city using you GPS to go to a destination and you GPS shut down or went whack o . You would know where you were or which way to go but you on a busy city street so all you can do is go in some direction to try to find you way. Sound familiar. The Phantom on board electronics hold the home GPS data and its current location so it can find its way back with RTH but if the data gets corrupted or lost due to a reboot or malfunction that when I believe it goes of on its own a a fly a way. Can happen to anyone at any time but I believe it is only a speratic issue. Kind of like your PC or laptop and you just worked on a document for a wile and the computer rebooted or got hung up. What happened to the document in memory..... Gone..... And so do the fly a ways!
Just my observation over the years and an ole computer geeks knowledge.
2016-2-29
Use props
Wipspeed
lvl.1

Denmark

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i was told that something may have happen. while i was doing the update.

When i go out side and calibrate the i can see that it finds satellites on my FPV monitor.
But on the P2 it self  it is flashing with a color code i don't know 1 time green and 2 times red, and then it repeats the code
2016-2-29
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Wipspeed Posted at 2016-2-29 19:30
Thanks for the reply. Yeah i was told that something may have happen. while i was doing the update.

Is your P2 in NAZA mode? Generally one green and two reds indicates the bird is picking up 5 satellites in NAZA mode.
2016-3-1
Use props
Wipspeed
lvl.1

Denmark

I haven't checked yet. since i'm doing some Case modding.
Gonna check of it's in Naza mod, after a finish the project
2016-3-4
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

By looking at the video I don't know if I would call that a flyaway. To me it looked like a inherent crash. A fly a way is when the bird  just takes off and no co trol from the RC and flys a way. With that type the majority of time the quad is gone and they don't know which direction or how far it went. Further checks of your quad I think you may find an issue with one of the ESC's. It appeared you were try to fly in GPS mode but with only 5 satellites you were really in Atti flight. Could have added to loss of control.  You may be able to pull the flight log to see what it shows. That will depend on the app and OS you were using. Check out the manual and learn those led flashes they are your ticket to know what the main controller is telling you about you quad and its flight readiness.
Good luck with the repairs!
2016-3-7
Use props
Wipspeed
lvl.1

Denmark

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2016-3-7 10:13
By looking at the video I don't know if I would call that a flyaway. To me it looked like a inherent ...

Thanks. I have been reading the manual and can't find anything about it.
Can first check of my P2 is in naza mod, after i'm finish with my "Furious Twin case mod"
It's like a warzone in my cave right now
2016-3-7
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

i had a fly away this weekend

now im unsure if ill ever fly the bird again
2016-3-8
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

mstrtf.gmail Posted at 2016-3-8 08:34
https://youtu.be/Tw4Sr2HAqI8
now im unsure if ill ever fly the bird ag ...

Why are you calling that flight a fly away. Looked like some control issues with the erratic camera and movement but it did t appear to take off and fly away in an unknown direction by itself. Could you better explain the issue.
2016-3-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mstrtf.gmail Posted at 2016-3-9 00:34
https://youtu.be/Tw4Sr2HAqI8
now im unsure if ill ever fly the bird ag ...

You've posted this 4 separate times (including the Inspire forum!)
It didn't fly away but there are 4 flyaway reports for one non-incident.
I wonder why newbies have the idea that Phantoms might fly away?
2016-3-9
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-9 13:44
It didn't fly away but there ar ...

im calling it a fly away because it just started heading in a direction without input from me. any inexperienced pilot would have lost his quad or it would have injured someone. the best explanation i could figure out so far for myself was that i think it decided to register home point at a location west of take off. my software was setup for max distance 1000meters. the unit thought its outside of its max distance and was fighting me to get back to its max radius point...

well thats what i think..
but no one (especially DJI) can give me an answer.
i cant use a product that might crash and injure someone. so my DJI support has come to an end untill i can get a clear answer of what happened
2016-3-9
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2016-3-9 13:03
Why are you calling that flight a fly away. Looked like some control issues with the erratic camer ...

from what i experienced, a few seconds into flight the unit suddenly decided it really wanted to head west. i was never able to get it to head in a eastern direction no matter what my rudder and roll combination was. it kept being tilted west. this leads me to believe this was not a compass or gyro fault (as this would have caused the p2 to head in opposite direction if i turned it around using rudder) no this was an issue where the unit really wanted to head west and my inputs was not bringing it back, it was merely lowering alltitude and keeping it from drifting west any further. if i was above a lake i would have lost the p2. if i was unable to run across the road to re establish LOS i would have lost the p2. and if i was not as experienced pilot i would have lost the p2. this was and is a fly away
2016-3-9
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

also note for posting in separate threads is that not everyone in all the fly away threads would have seen all the posts. i want to make everyone aware of what happened and try figure out if its safe to fly my P2 again. and yes i did post in the inspire thread. DJI is DJI. and similar problems may occur between products.
2016-3-9
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

mstrtf.gmail Posted at 2016-3-9 09:16
im calling it a fly away because it just started heading in a direction without input from me. any ...

OR

maybe when you took off the homepoint had not locked in

once you started flying at some point it did set home lock.

you mentioned you had to run to regain line of sight, that suggests the quad maybe initiated RTH
and that RTH point was somewhere but not takeoff point.
also the gps in P2 is known to lose gps lock inflight and drop to ATTI and then the wind is the boss if Not in LOS

all just my WAG !

bad compass calibration is also possible,  the metal on watch holding quad during calibration could have caused the compass to mess up  once  it was away from the metal

personally would not fly a p2 without the 4mm antenna upgrade--
FWIW they did use a better higher gain gps antenna in p3s....(like the 4mm)

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-3-17
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

mstrtf.gmail Posted at 2016-3-9 09:32
also note for posting in separate threads is that not everyone in all the fly away threads would hav ...

there is absolutely nothing similar between inspire and p2

other than they fly and have cameras
2016-3-17
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-9 07:44
It didn't fly away but there ar ...

did it seem that he took off very quickly after setting it down,

all my p2's took at least 45 seconds to acquire sat lock,

to OP:
did you verify that the GREEN LED's flashed twice before you took off.
1 set for compass direction lock and 1 set for gps set lock..
2016-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules