Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Hi everyone

I'm in the process of setting up my Inspire, and one of the things that I'm a little bit 'stuck' at is the map cacheing.

As a lot of my video and camera work takes place in the desert, and mobile/internet connection can be spotty, I was hoping to be able to cache as much satellite data as possible into the tablet (an iPad mini 3 64GB WiFi) as possible before heading out.

Is there a way for me to load detaild satellite imagery from Google (or any other sources), or am I going to be stuck with manually scrolling through the map and trying to pre-load them from around 100km away before heading into the desert?

Also, is there a way for me to define the cache size? I would be happy to set aside 4GB for map/satellite map tlles/imagery so that I can be sure to get the most information as possible when I fly in areas with limited/no internet access.
2015-1-7
Use props
rbendjebar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3170190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Currently the process requires you to cache your map with as much detail as possible by enabling map caching in the app, then manually searching the area you intend to fly in by moving your position around in the app, all while being in WiFi coverage. That's a pretty tedious process, IMO. I'm hoping that when DJI allows SDK developers into the Inspire app and firmware, that it will be possible to pre-load detailed maps (a la Garmin and others) into the tablet of choice for use in the field.
FWIW, I don't think there is any cache limit, as far as I know, but it is important (I think Tahoe Ed said this somewhere) to cache the map at the smallest scale with useful detail in order to have that detail available in the field. Good luck with your flying. I have the same concerns as you.
2015-1-7
Use props
jackiedh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 83589314 ft
  • >>>
United States

rbendjebar Posted at 2015-1-8 00:04
Currently the process requires you to cache your map with as much detail as possible by enabling map ...

How do you enable map cashing in the App? I see the function for that in the IOS app but not in the Androd version!!

Thanks

Jack
2015-1-7
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

jackiedh Posted at 2015-1-8 01:21
How do you enable map cashing in the App?

Thanks

press General Settings (the gear icon)
midway down page...
Cache Map In The Background (off & on switch)
2015-1-7
Use props
jackiedh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 83589314 ft
  • >>>
United States

jackiedh Posted at 2015-1-8 01:21
How do you enable map cashing in the App? I see the function for that in the IOS app but not in the ...

Understand for IOS how for Android?
2015-1-8
Use props
markosb1
lvl.2

United States

rbendjebar Posted at 2015-1-8 00:04
Currently the process requires you to cache your map with as much detail as possible by enabling map ...

They should have just used open maps like maps.me so someone could download a state.  It would alleviate the need for caching, which becomes useless if you're moving outside the area cached in areas that don't have internet,
2015-1-8
Use props
jose.crespo
New

Puerto Rico

Option not available in the Android version. (At least I don't seem to find it.)
2015-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules