I CAN NOT believe this just happened!
12Next >
3732 49 2016-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris K
lvl.1

United States

They say a pictures worth a thousand words, and I can think of one more word F@&% !!!
Took my P3 professional out for a short flight today. It have always had a wobble to the IPad.
In fact I ordered one of those new wide foot brackets…haven't gotten it yet,its coming from China... someday.

I walked outside and the Ipad tablet brushed against the door frame and BAM!
The Ipad with plastic bracket still on it snapped off of the top of the controller.
I tried to catch it but it broke loose of the cable and the IPad crashed to the floor below
It shattered like a sheet of glass…Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I have tightened the screw and knob that hold the bracket to the controller so many times.
How the hell could this have happened, I just lost a $500 frickin dollar IPad.

DJI broken Ipad

DJI broken Ipad

Broken Ipad

Broken Ipad
2016-2-25
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

Damn I'm really sorry to hear that!!  I don't know how handy you are, but iPad screens are pretty easy to replace,  and there are tons of video walkthroughs.  As long as you didn't bend the corners/frame seriously you should be able to pick up a replacement screen cheap and swap it out.   
2016-2-25
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Italy

That's why I changed to an inspire tablet holder on day one.
2016-2-25
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Did the bracket break or just come loose?
2016-2-25
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Sorry about your tablet. I was reaching to do a hand catch and dropped my Samsung Tab S 10.5 off of my controller, It hit on the corner like yours and cracked across the screen from one corner to the other. Live and learn!
2016-2-25
Use props
Rebel Gal
lvl.2

United States

O man that sucks, If that happen to me I would loose my mind!
I told  you got to get that new bracket, I love mine rock solid
Sorry guess that don't help much sorry

DJI Bracket

DJI Bracket
2016-2-25
Use props
Chris K
lvl.1

United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-25 18:59
Did the bracket break or just come loose?

I dont know its like the screws fell out...I tighten them hard ALL THE TIME!!!
2016-2-25
Use props
Fly Girl
lvl.1

United States

Hey Chris,

So sorry that happen, I was afraid that was going to happen some day that why we upgraded to the aluminium stability bracket by PGY.
It's made to stabilize those larger tablets, I really love mine...still sorry about your IPad..maybe they can fix it???

You got to get one like this they ROCK!
DJI bracket and cat.gif
2016-2-25
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Rebel Gal Posted at 2016-2-25 18:05
I told  you got to get that new bracke ...

Rebel Gal,  I can't really see the brand name of your bracket,  I am looking for one in the USA.  Waiting for overseas shipping drives me batty.
2016-2-25
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Dang!  That is not optimal!  My wife replaced the screen on a IPAD one a while ago and cracked the new glass getting the last bit of the frame on.  Still works, BUT.....   You might want a Pro to replace the Glass.
2016-2-25
Use props
Chicago Air Dro
lvl.2

United States

Hey Guy that stinks,I have the same question did it brake off? or was it the screws?

I love stuff from China as much as the next guy but don't order from there it takes to long it get if you get it all.
Got my PGY bracket right here in the states only took 2 days!
Look up FAA Drone Decals.com

Sorrry again
2016-2-25
Use props
Rebel Gal
lvl.2

United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2016-2-25 16:17
Rebel Gal,  I can't really see the brand name of your bracket,  I am looking for one in the USA.   ...

Hello CaveDroneI got mine from China it took 6 weeks...
Now they sell them right here in the US
faadrondecals.comThey are well worth it!

2016-2-25
Use props
Chris K
lvl.1

United States

Thats what hurts the most I ordered that same bracket over a month ago it still isn't here :@Still waiting to get it from China!
2016-2-25
Use props
Chris K
lvl.1

United States

My uncle might be able to figure out what happen when he get home, will keep you updated
2016-2-25
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Bummer.
I'd like to see a good photo from the side of the bracket.
The fact that you said it wobbled seems to indicate the screw fell out.  I can't see anything on the bracket cracked from the angle in the photo above.
Mine feels REALLY tight....no excess wobble.   It moves just a bit due to plastic flex but very little.  I have a 8" tablet on mine.
Insignia elite.   Resolution is 2048 x 1536 also. I don't want to use my ipad for this.    The ipad is too heavy imo.   
Plus the Insignia Elite was only $100 (I see em for $75 used) if I break it I replace it.

Seems to me it'd take a serious whack to snap the plastic.
2016-2-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

CaveDrone Posted at 2016-2-26 11:17
Rebel Gal,  I can't really see the brand name of your bracket,  I am looking for one in the USA.   ...

The bracket for the Inspire is available on the DJI site. I bought one right from the start as I fit an Air 2. The Inspire bracket is made entirely from aluminium and is very strong. I threw the original plastic one away.
2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh WOW, that is terrible, I feel so sorry for you. I've had my P3 Pro for a year and have a several hundred flights. I tightened the screw really hard and use a pair of pliers to torque the knurled knob down. It used to loosen up every so often with my iPad Air. It's been several months and my iPad Air hold really tight in it. BUT I'm sure if I bumped it into something it would come crashing down.
I'm so sorry.
2016-2-25
Use props
UAS DRONE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 171499 ft
United States

Dam man that hurts
2016-2-25
Use props
Chicago Air Dro
lvl.2

United States

I agree with Cessina
would like a better view if you can get us one...Was it the plastic bracket the screws or both?
2016-2-25
Use props
Chris K
lvl.1

United States

I just still cant  think this happen... is a warranty  claim?  
DAMN
2016-2-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Chris K Posted at 2016-2-26 13:08
DAMN

With who?

Warranrty covers faulty parts. It does not cover consequential damages, so if something breaks and that causes something else to be damaged, it is not covered. But by your own admission you knocked it off on the door frame.

2016-2-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Chris K Posted at 2016-2-26 10:08
DAMN

If you have Apple Care it will cover the tablet!
2016-2-25
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

They call that the Ibroke.  It goes with the Steve Jobs signature device,  the Idied.

2016-2-25
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Chris K Posted at 2016-2-25 21:08
DAMN

what warranty

If I smack my car into my garage door on the out to drive,  is that fords fault?

Not being smart but sometimes we must warranty OUR errors.

If you knew it gets loose due to weight of the pad .....
if you hit a door with it while walking....
sorry for you loss..

FWIW the shield is only 200 new and works great and has massive sd storage now with last update to it. also built in HDMI out

good luck and have fun flying
2016-2-25
Use props
flormo2002
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

ryan209 Posted at 2016-2-25 17:53
Damn I'm really sorry to hear that!!  I don't know how handy you are, but iPad screens are pretty ea ...

I'm sure you put the tablet back into the holder after your tablet broke so you could get a photo of both....correct? There is no way the tablet could have stayed in place in the holder after dropping on the floor doing the type damage it did.
2016-2-25
Use props
Buy Low
lvl.2

United States

Rebel Gal Posted at 2016-2-25 16:05
I told  you got to get that new bracke ...

Where can I order this bracket? I was only able to find a little add on "shoe" adapter to the original bracket.  I want this bracket as one complete unit. Thanks in advance.
2016-2-25
Use props
Chicago Air Dro
lvl.2

United States

Buy Low Posted at 2016-2-25 23:02
Where can I order this bracket? I was only able to find a little add on "shoe" adapter to the orig ...

Hello Buy Low

We got ours at  Faadronedecals.com
Great customer service and same day shipping!
2016-2-26
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Really sad about your loss.
I believe the same bracket is available (from China) on ebay Black CNC mount display holder bracket for DJI Phantom 3 & Inspire controller, in Europe it is also available on Amazon under the name "Junsi Black CNC Holder Bracket for DJI Phantom 3 & Inspire controller."
I was using an earlier version metal bracket, but I find this one is much more stable. Anyone using a large tablet (even worse when you add a sunshade) really needs something better than the usual plastic bracket.
A last thought, I also added a Velcro strap (adhesive strips) to the back of the tablet; when in place the strap passes behind the holder arm. This is simple and fast to mount, and it keeps the tablet & sunshade assembly secure from falling off the holder when it gets bumped.
2016-2-26
Use props
BJsCOOT2
lvl.2

United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-2-25 18:45
Bummer.
I'd like to see a good photo from the side of the bracket.
The fact that you said it wobbled ...

I'm going to use the RCA 7 Voyager II, not a big pad but still want stability and durability. Tablet was $55 including tax. I have a machine shop and plenty of aluminum. Be cheaper to buy one though.
2016-2-26
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Okay now I want to purchase a metal bracket for my iPad!
2016-2-26
Use props
tm0054
lvl.1

United States

Damn how far did that iPad fall? I've dropped my phone on the floor a number of times and have never broken or cracked the screen. That thing is crazy shattered. Is the iPad that fragile?
2016-2-26
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

ouch... must add the metal foot to me need list. That looks like a serious repair on the iPad
2016-2-26
Use props
Chicago Air Dro
lvl.2

United States

johnsr Posted at 2016-2-26 06:35
Really sad about your loss.
I believe the same bracket is available (from China) on ebay Black CNC m ...

Hello John,
Couldn't agree with you more the sunshade really adds to the instability.
I think your idea of a safety strap is just brilliant, cant be to safe
where your holding over a thousand dollars in your hand.

I have ordered some stuff direct  from China to try to save a bucks.
Always makes me very nervous thought,
no tracking numbers, no emails, and no way to contact them...plus 6 weeks shipping.
I'll pay a little more to know it's really coming and when it will be here.

Great Idea with the strap!
2016-2-26
Use props
pi-inthesky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Another point to watch is the screw that attaches the device holder to the bracket ,continual tightening strips the thread of the screw and is not a part easily replaced.Replacement means buying a new device holder screw is not sold separately
2016-2-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-25 18:18
With who?

Warranrty covers faulty parts. It does not cover consequential damages, so if something  ...

Correct, this is no way a warranty item. I am sorry it happened.
2016-2-26
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Sorry for your loss!   Don't you just hate it when door frames jump out and grab your stuff like that?

Standard exterior doors are 36" wide at least.  Just how big was your iPad that you couldn't make it through a 3 foot wide by 6'8" tall opening with it?  

I mean hell, I didn't hit the door or the frame when I was carrying my 46" plasma tv in the front door by my self for heaven's sake.  I should think an iPad would be easy pickings to get through a 20 sq ft opening in the side of your house.
2016-2-26
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Seeing that, Now I am upgrading my holder
2016-2-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry to hear and see your lost iPad. But atleast know your iPad screen can be replaced, not like some unlucky pilots whose drone fell into the river or ocean.
That's no constellation, but it takes some of the swelling in your mind down. I'd been concerned of that very type of thing happening, so like many fearful of the product, ever coming loose.
The first option, I've added to my Phantom 3 was the Inspire 1 device holder. It made all the difference you can imagine, and has stayed tight since its adaption.

The only thing door frames have ever, ever given me problems with, is when I turn too soon in a doorway, or in an elevator, while wearing my drone.
That's why I much prefer the @DJI branded hardshell backpack.  If I had done that wearing the soft side unit, surely destruction would have ensued.
Then I would have been on here damning the company, our hosts, for selling me an inferior product, and what ever damages may have happened, they must pay me for.
Accidents happen and perhaps your home insurance would help cover the cost to repair or replace it for you.
I don't carry my RC and device through a doorway  too often, but if I do, it's being held close to my chest.
Hopefully you can get a replacement for it soon, and get back to flying, and smiling. Good luck.

RedHotPoker
2016-2-26
Use props
Chris K
lvl.1

United States

Ok, when this thing first happen I taught I was going to die, seriously it was almost bad as bad as when I lost my dog.
After reading all your posts I was laughing my ass off. Wolfiesden , Red hot poker and all of you guys ROCK!
Without getting too sappy...I love you guys!

Will have a final damage report tomorrow to share

Thank again...  to of all you
2016-2-26
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Rebel Gal Posted at 2016-2-25 18:26
Hello CaveDroneI got mine from China it took 6 weeks...
Now they sell them right here in the US
fa ...

6 weeks!  You have  the patience of a saint!  Thanks for the  link to a US seller, ordered 2 day shipping.  (not getting any younger LOL)  
2016-2-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules