799 6 2016-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Terry G
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1773327 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an older 350/700W 12volt inverter which I had hopes of connecting to a 12 volt battery to use to charge the Phantom and Inspire batteries out in the field. I connected the inverter to a fully charged 12 volt car battery and powered it on.  Plugged in the Phantom charger and connected the Phantom battery and NOTHING.  Plugged the charger into the house hold current and it works fine. I plugged in a 40 watt soldering iron and it heated up. Not knowing a great deal about chargers and current Im aware that there are "pure sine" inverters and my inverter doesnt mention it being one. Could the Phantom charger be sencing a high or low current and not powering on? I hesitate to purchase another inverter if it wont do the job. Any suggesions? Thanks.
2016-2-27
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you have access to your car when you're out, then the $20 car chargers work fine.  All the intelligent charging circuitry is in the battery; all it needs is a power supply and I've found the car charger works great.

Others have said they use inverters without issue, but I haven't.  I have also bought a couple of extra batteries; way easier.....

cheers,
Ian
2016-2-27
Use props
Terry G
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-2-27 14:24
If you have access to your car when you're out, then the $20 car chargers work fine.  All the intell ...

Thanks for the reply. I have a smaller plug in charger I will give a try.
2016-2-27
Use props
foxy-stoat
lvl.2

United Kingdom

My car inverter takes a few minutes to start charging the battery, maybe a checp one, £35 300w output.
2016-2-27
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Terry G Posted at 2016-2-27 22:23
Thanks for the reply. I have a smaller plug in charger I will give a try.

Sorry if stating the obvious; make sure you use the car chargers specificaly designed for the DJI battery; they pump out around 4 amps and have the correct battery connector in place for you.  I only use mine when driving as I reckon that would flatten the car battery if left for an hour or so....
2016-2-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

wellsi Posted at 2016-2-28 20:16
Sorry if stating the obvious; make sure you use the car chargers specificaly designed for the DJI  ...

^ ditto. Only use power supplies designed for the DJI battery. They are not really chargers, as the charging circuitry is in the battery itself, but they need to supply 17.5 volts DC to the battery. I have one of the cheap eBay car chargers and it works just fine. But as wellsi says, only use while the engine is running.
2016-2-28
Use props
Terry G
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-2-28 04:16
Sorry if stating the obvious; make sure you use the car chargers specificaly designed for the DJI  ...

Understood, thinking now it might be easier to take the Honda IU 2000 generator. 1600 watts continuous regulated power.
2016-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules