2229 19 2016-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alanrmx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1887894 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Recent i had an drone problem. My newly bought phantom 3 professional (about 2 months old) which had never been even any minor crash, did not return to home on my last flight in china changzhou. After going through lots of hussle and communication with the support team of DJI, they just simply concluded that it was all my fault. Do you think that if it is really my fault and i'll still report this case to DJI for what !!! Of course I did my own analysis before reporting the case to DJI support team.

My last email to them was about appealing the case to the management and they say someone will get back to me. But after waiting for more than a week, I should give up and move on. Now that i am putting up a full story on this in details bit by bit to share it to the drones people out there..

2016-2-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"Now that i am putting up a full story on this"

It's all very well to say that it it failed to RTH but without data, no-one has a clue what happened.
If you want to show what happened, put up a link to a HealthyDrones analysis
2016-2-28
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-28 20:21
"Now that i am putting up a full story on this"

It's all very well to say that it it failed to RTH  ...

by the way, how can I put up my flight data on the forum ?
2016-2-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-2-28 23:29
by the way, how can I put up my flight data on the forum ?

Go to HealthyDrones.com, follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from the app.
Post a link here to the HD analysis.
2016-2-28
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=MjYxNA

Above is the link to that incident..
2016-2-28
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-28 20:41
Go to HealthyDrones.com, follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from the app.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=MjYxNA
2016-2-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

I'm guessing DJI didn't explain much to you but here's the story that the flight record tells:
You went to max height (500 metres) and flew downwind in a wind that was blowing at around 10 metres/second and gusting quite a bit higher.
Winds are always going to be higher at altitude so being so high exposed your Phantom to significant winds ... quite a bit more than you experienced on the ground
This isn't a good start because if you run into trouble at a distance, you are going to battle a headwind coming home.
As you got out to 5 km you were experiencing a loss of video connection but the Phantom still had connection to the controller and you could have tried to bring it home yourself or with RTH but there's no sign of this happening.
After 7:22 all signal was lost and the Phantom probably entered RTH as it is programmed to.
BUT at this point the Phantom is 6km away from home and getting blasted by 10 m/s+ wind.
In RTH your Phantom will come home at 10 m/s (in still air) but you can drive at 15 m/s if you take over.
So if you had piloted it home from 6km yourself, it would have managed 5 m/sec over the ground and from 6km out that would take 20 minutes and in RTH it would never get there.
Even if you were driving, you would run out of battery before it got home as it had already been running for 7.5 mins.

Sorry to give you the bad news but it doesn't look like a DJI problem.
Rather, you put your Phantom into a situation from which it could not get back.
It would have entered failsafe RTH and hardly made headway until  the battery level was too low, at which point it would have autolanded - somewhere about 6 km from where you started.

2016-2-28
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-28 21:58
I'm guessing DJI didn't explain much to you but here's the story that the flight record tells:
You  ...

of course it was kick off RTH mode. usually when this mode kicks in, in a very short time frame, I would be able to regain connections both videos and controls. then I will take over and have a understanding what is going on. But as for this flight, it was a complete lost. there wasn't any reconnection and that it..

I seriously put the blame on DJI because this drones has got failsafe functions.. Unless the failsafe functions fail..
2016-2-28
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-2-28 22:54
of course it was kick off RTH mode. usually when this mode kicks in, in a very short time frame, I ...

on the other hand, DJI was explaining another story to me putting all blames on my hands.. and finally giving me a 10% off for my next purchase. Seriously, I own 2 drones from DJI..
2016-2-28
Use props
AirPixels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 423301 ft
Netherlands

I'm sorry for your loss, but @Labroides is totally right. Even if the device did reconnect as you mentioned it couldn't come home with RTH due to the strong wind gusts.
The failsafe modes on the phantoms are pretty foolproof and do work like intended, but it can't bend laws of physics.

This website is good to tell when it's safe to fly in your area. http://www.uavforecast.com/
I use it all the time and never ran into problems.
2016-2-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-2-29 01:54
of course it was kick off RTH mode. usually when this mode kicks in, in a very short time frame, I ...

"I seriously put the blame on DJI because this drones has got failsafe functions.. Unless the failsafe functions fail.. "

You came here giving no explanation of how you came to lose your Phantom and very keen to dump on DJI.
I went to a lot of effort to analyse the flight record and clearly explain what happened.
You still haven't given any explanation yourself or commented on my analysis.
Did you read anything I wrote?
How can you blame DJI?

This time I won't sugar coat it for you.
You did several things that make you 100% to blame.
My reading of the data appears to show the loss was commpletely due to the operator error.
Flying away straight downwind in a strong wind and going to 500 metres was sending your Phantom on a one-way mission.
It wasn't a case of didn't come back - it couldn't come back.
2016-2-28
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-28 17:36
"I seriously put the blame on DJI because this drones has got failsafe functions.. Unless the fails ...

I completely agree with you and even after looking at the logs for 10 seconds I completely agree with you even more. However sadly most people just don't have the ability to say, I messed up its my fault.
2016-2-28
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi Alan!  can you please share your ticket number with us, so we will look into your case
2016-2-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-29 06:36
"I seriously put the blame on DJI because this drones has got failsafe functions.. Unless the fails ...

Thank you for taking the time to post a correct analysis.
2016-2-29
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

It's obvious it was blown away by the wind, and clearly 100% your fault for flying in those conditions.  If it's windy and your fighting the wind back your horizontal speed is slowed down dramatically and sometimes to the point that the phantom gets blown even farther away because the winds are just to fast.  I would never attempt those heights unless the ground wind  speed was completely dead, even then at those heights the winds can be very unpredictable.  If you are going to take risks like that with your phantom then you should be using a Trackimo gps tracker or something similar.  I have a Trackimo and don't plan on going over 90m (law) and line of sight.
2016-2-29
Use props
alanrmx
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

Now that i am starting to contact DJI support is because at that point of time of my FLY AWAY incident (which is still not resolve), I had introduce a friend of mine in changzhou china which also bought a DJI Phantom 3 professional. He flew for about a week or so and then it FLY AWAY. I remember that i was the one who help him to update the firmware before returning to singapore. Now the firmware version of these 2 drone are of the same version v.1.4. I later found out from a couple of other forum that people were saying that v1.4 has got some issues that causes the FLY AWAY. In fact a lot of people were saying about it..

Ever since my fly away, DJI has never given me a good explanation but only keep saying it's my fault. I have sent another email on the JUN this year on my friends behalf to DJI support and was not even replied till now. Service level is also getting so bad. I had just sent in another email today requesting for a face to face video conference to resolve these 2 fly away cases and we shall see what's the reply..
2016-9-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

alanrmx@gmail.c Posted at 2016-9-8 09:58
Now that i am starting to contact DJI support is because at that point of time of my FLY AWAY incide ...

Alan ... can you read?
You did not have a flyaway.
You flew your Phantom away and it would have returned as programmed except for your operator error.
This has been explained extremely clearly to you twice above.
Send all the emails you like but it doesn't change the facts.
You are 100% responsible for losing your Phantom.

As for " I later found out from a couple of other forum that people were saying that v1.4 has got some issues that causes the FLY AWAY. In fact a lot of people were saying about it"

Read forums and you'll find a lot of people saying all kinds of things ... but that doesn't make it correct.
V1.4 is great.  I use it myself on two Phantoms with no problem.
As can be seen above you are unwilling to read, understand and take responsibility for your incident.
It was your fault, DJI were generous to offer you a discount.
2016-9-7
Use props
djcliff.sr
lvl.1

Netherlands

Can i get a discount
2016-9-8
Use props
fans5e622b30
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-29 18:29
Hi Alan!  can you please share your ticket number with us, so we will look into your case

Hi.. I have in fact send an email last week in regards on my new next purchase of DJI Mavic. I have decided to let the past go and look forward. The fact is no matter how we argue, the drone is not going to come back.. So i would like to accept the discount that was offered by DJI for my next purchase on DJI drone product. Can you please advice the percentage discount and also instruct me on how to apply the dicount  during me purchase.. please reply ASAP as i'll next the do the purchase on the minday..

Thanks

Alan Soh
+65 8500 0509
2017-1-14
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

fans5e622b30 Posted at 2017-1-14 21:45
Hi.. I have in fact send an email last week in regards on my new next purchase of DJI Mavic. I have decided to let the past go and look forward. The fact is no matter how we argue, the drone is not going to come back.. So i would like to accept the discount that was offered by DJI for my next purchase on DJI drone product. Can you please advice the percentage discount and also instruct me on how to apply the dicount  during me purchase.. please reply ASAP as i'll next the do the purchase on the minday..

Thanks

Bahahaha. I think it is to late. You blew it...twice.
2017-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules