Drone tracking device/locators
1524 8 2016-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

What tracking device/locator are you using to locate your drone in case of a crash? The following are what I've found...

Trackimo

Flytrex Live 3G

Drone Mods UAV Locator

Marco Polo

From my research it seems that the first 3 options rely on cell service to transmit the location of your drone and will give you the location even if it was hundreds of miles away, but on the down side the location may be only approximate. Whereas the Marco Polo is a device like a metal detector that will pinpoint the location down to inches, does not rely on cell coverage, but it has a max range of 2 miles.

What are peoples experiences?
2016-2-28
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I enjoy the Trackimo.  Never had an ounce of problem with it.  It also does not cause any interference with my aircraft.  For $125.00  for  the device and 1 year cell service included ( $5.00 month thereafter)  also long battery life.  I top it off once every 2 weeks.  You can also make it beep if it were to be lost in tall grass or what not .

Love it.

cheers -donnie
2016-2-28
Use props
sthuemmel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1749321 ft
United States

I use Drone Mods UAV Locator.  It is great and always works, no matter what....
2016-2-28
Use props
ioshua
lvl.2

United States

Thanks guys!
2016-2-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had a Trackimo for about a year and really love it.
2016-2-28
Use props
mikael
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24199 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Have anyone tried the Marco Polo? A 2 mile range should be enough. And the battery standby is pretty good. I read the Trackimo only had a 48 hour battery. Sounds short. Either one sounds like a cheap insurance. Is it anyway possible to connect it to the drone battery and use the device internal battery as a backup? Anyone out there who knows electronics? I'm afraid I will forget to charge the battery.
2016-3-1
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-1 03:23
Have anyone tried the Marco Polo? A 2 mile range should be enough. And the battery standby is pretty ...

The Trackimo has tons of settings, from 1 minute to 2 hours.  I charge mine about once a week, it sends me a e-mail or text notification when the battery is low.   Also I had a fly-off with a aircraft with half of the power of DJI equipment and it went 5 miles away the way the crow flies.  You can also press the Update button on the Trackimo and it instantly updates its position.   You wont forget to charge the battery, you will be charging your other batteries so often it will become part of the routine.
You dont want to tap into the smart Battery either they are very sensative.  Get the Trackimo !!

Love it and the Re.p for Trackimo is a gal named Victoria, she is a real peach!

cheers and have Fun -Donnie

2016-3-1
Use props
mikael
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24199 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-1 19:26
The Trackimo has tons of settings, from 1 minute to 2 hours.  I charge mine about once a week, ...

Thanks for your inputs regarding the Trackimo transmitter. Sounds like thats might be the one to get. Is there a problem using multiple devices on one account? And how long does it take to charge the battery? Does it charge thru USB?
2016-3-1
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

You can have up  to 20 devices on one account, they are great to deal with.  Ask for Victoria at Trackimo  North America ( Ontario) 1 844 223 8145 . ( anyone can help you though)   And yes it charges through a standard  USB to Micro usb data cable.  The best place to mount is on the back of the Inspire where the DJI tag is.   Clean both Trackimo and Inspire tag and fingertips  with  alcohol wipes  before applying High quality two way tape. ( some folks apply electrical tape first  underneath  the two way tape, makes removal easy )  You can also use  The protective cover for the Trackimo after installlation.   Full charge took about 12 hours after that about once a week or ten days  at 3-5 hours charge time .  It will  stop flashing when fully charged . Be sure to Re-calibrate compass after installation.

All the best -donnie
2016-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules