Top wind speed?
1059 10 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

I wa s wondering what the official DJI reommendation is for maximum wind speeds for safe flights?  This time of year is a little windy and I just want to know how much wind is too much wind.
2016-3-1
Use props
quikdom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I went out last weekend and flew in the strongest wind for me so far.  I estimate it was around 15 to 20mph with stronger gusts.  The p3p performed perfectly other 'pilots' I know have flown in stronger winds.
2016-3-1
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

Hi i already try 27 mph winds ,   DJI recommend to dont fly in 20mph winds
my phantom 3 standard did it well in 27mph winds was really slow against the wind and  the quad was moving every were when i was trying to land it
that was so exited  the phantom its a powerful quad
2016-3-1
Use props
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

quikdom Posted at 2016-3-1 10:50
I went out last weekend and flew in the strongest wind for me so far.  I estimate it was around 15 t ...

Thanks for the info and sharing your experience
2016-3-1
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

My guess is when the wind speed exceeds the Phantom's speed......you're in trouble.
2016-3-1
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

I've flown in higher than 20 mph winds for short periods.  I live in NM and we do get winds.  Here's an example of what can happen.

This is a case of - I drove 70 miles to video this windmill - I'm flying in spite of the winds.  The problem wasn't the measured [Kestrel 4500] 8-16 mph winds at ground level.  The problem was the higher wind speeds over 15 feet off the ground and the swirling/gusting winds that change direction on you.  
Even at ground level, the gust that blew my P3P into the windmill was quite high and from the direction behind the P3P - not facing it as the normal measured winds were.  I'm a photographer and have taken shots of this windmill for years.  It's in the middle of nowhere and is short enough that I can reach the blades standing on the ground.  It takes at least 10 to 12 mph winds to turn the blades on that windmill - it's short because it's in a very high wind area.  None of this is new to me - I live here.  This crash was my fault entirely.

The point is - if you're in a high wind/gusting wind area, it may not be safe to fly.  Especially so when you get too close to objects that are higher than you're flying.

Damage was all 4 props, a scratch on the top of the P3P and I had to "reset" the IMU with a tap from my trusty rubber mallet.
2016-3-1
Use props
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

knupla2 Posted at 2016-3-1 14:07
I've flown in higher than 20 mph winds for short periods.  I live in NM and we do get winds.  Here's ...

This what I am fearful of.  Gusty winds from changing directions.  I want be able to fly close to buildings, possibly to help building inspectors with roof inspections or to do a montage of the area's architecture.  We have some very cool old buildings around.  I guess the lesson learned with winds is to be prudent when deciding on a fly time for the type of flying you want to do?  
2016-3-1
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Also remember the wind speed at ground level is most likely going to be less then the wind speed as you go higher.
2016-3-1
Use props
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

Username Here Posted at 2016-3-1 16:03
Also remember the wind speed at ground level is most likely going to be less then the wind speed as  ...

Roger that!
2016-3-1
Use props
jjvolpone
lvl.2
United States

knupla2 Posted at 2016-3-1 14:07
I've flown in higher than 20 mph winds for short periods.  I live in NM and we do get winds.  Here's ...

That was unexpected since the windmill was hardly turning.  Hope you can still fly your bird.
2016-3-1
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

jjvolpone Posted at 2016-3-1 15:15
That was unexpected since the windmill was hardly turning.  Hope you can still fly your bird.

There were "clues" before I even got to the windmill - that I now see, but missed as it was happening.  At ground level, breeze was fairly light and at the back of the bird.  Note that shortly after take-off [at 28 seconds], the horizon changed significantly and it was obvious the bird was getting hammered when you look at how unstable it was.  That was the clue that tells me now that the winds shifted and I was flying hard into the wind, which started at the NW - it should be pushing me, not with me pushing hard into it.

Next clue was the windmill was not turning any longer when I got near it - It takes at least 10 to 12 mph winds to turn the blades on that windmill, it was turning as I launched, it stopped cold as the winds shifted.  10 seconds before the crash the windmill had started up a third time - abruptly.  The vane of the windmill was locked so it stayed pointing the same direction but getting it to restart that fast was "a clue".

I missed all those clues when I was flying.

Drone is fine.  Thanks for your concern.
2016-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules