DJI - Phantom 4 The Most Powerful Technology
15261 184 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

alpinekiwi Posted at 2016-3-1 12:35
I'm going to have to go with No for the moment.

I was about to drop money on upgrading to the P3P w ...

There was some mis information in the beginning. It is not limited to 400 feet.

Dave
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

alirz1 Posted at 2016-3-1 12:58
Thats the default height on all Phantoms. You can change it to a max of 500M in the DJI go app.
EDI ...

Dave
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-1 12:58
Well, I know I have a new dream.  So happy with My Phantom 3 Standard, but wow the Phantom 4 is just ...

Good idea!

Dave
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

alpinekiwi Posted at 2016-3-1 13:05
No, DJI have confirmed it's now capped off at 120m. As far as I understand, you can't over-ride it ...

Dave
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

alpinekiwi Posted at 2016-3-1 13:05
No, DJI have confirmed it's now capped off at 120m. As far as I understand, you can't over-ride it ...

Dave
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

adamkoromi@goog Posted at 2016-3-1 14:55
Cool well done dji big big like

Thanks!

Dave
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-1 14:46
I think it is a great new step for the Phantom series.

The camera lens is improved, that will hope ...

Max is not 120 meters.

It is 500 meters just like the P3 and I1.

Dave
2016-3-1
Use props
Monumentale
lvl.1

Italy

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-3-2 02:51
Max is not 120 meters.

It is 500 meters just like the P3 and I1.

Hi Dave, why do not allow the copter to go more than 500 meters above the operator?
Considering the new avoidance and all the technology in the bird...I would like to be able to start from the lake and go to the top of the mountain to do some exploring.

No way to change this in the future?

2016-3-1
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

I want one!
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Monumentale Posted at 2016-3-1 18:10
Hi Dave, why do not allow the copter to go more than 500 meters above the operator?
Considering the ...

I am not sure why. That decision was made way above my pay grade.

I do not think they will change it in the future, but you never know. Maybe.

Dave
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Me too!

Dave
2016-3-1
Use props
thompsoncrew
New

Australia

Micheal M it's $2399 here in Australia I feel your pain ! But what a quality product... Now I just hope they transplant all this avoidance tech on an inspire
2016-3-1
Use props
cford88
lvl.1

thompsoncrew Posted at 2016-3-2 10:43
Micheal M it's $2399 here in Australia I feel your pain ! But what a quality product... Now I just h ...

****Beginning of Rant****

Is it me or do we live in a world now where we don't have to do anything ourselves anymore. The fun of owning a battery operated, camera equipped flying object is actually getting behind the sticks and controlling the thing. If you practice enough you can get epic video from a piloted device and don't need something with expensive "bells and whistles" which add no additional value if you are a persistent, motivated go getter. Trying to put these things in the hands of everyone by making them virtually "Dummy" proof to fly defeats the entire purpose and is not a good thing IMO.

****END OF RANT*****
2016-3-1
Use props
stigjohan76
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1318976 ft

cford88 Posted at 2016-3-2 11:13

Is it me or do we live in a world now where we don't have to do anythin ...

Well you should've kept your P2
Or buy a used one.
2016-3-1
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

Looks like we will be getting new more powerful Inspire batteries soon.
2016-3-1
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

Linolens Posted at 2016-3-1 22:37
Looks like we will be getting new more powerful Inspire batteries soon.

Would of been cool for new Phantom 3 batteries with more charge, would of been nice to get some new phantom 3 accessories or new features. Just a thought to increase brand loyalty.
2016-3-1
Use props
info
lvl.4

United States

This new product, like the P3 when it was announced looks inviting on the screen.

1) What percentage of what is advertised actually works NOW?

The P3 promised all manner of things, and after numerous horrific firmware updates, does everything work yet? I will not do another firmware update on my P3

2) Will support for the P3 simply get worse (if that is possible) once resources are shifted to the P4?

3) Has anything been done to improve customer support? I can have a better customer experience at the local 7-11 buying a chili-dog.

Showing your product with Delicate Arch in the background is  a really bad idea. UAV flying in ANY national park or seashore is not forbidden presently.

DJI has much room for improvement in terms of delivering what has been promised and then after sale support.

I'll leave it to others to experience DJI from now on, as I do not think they will get any more of my money.
2016-3-1
Use props
info
lvl.4

United States

This new product, like the P3 when it was announced looks inviting on the screen.

1) What percentage of what is advertised actually works NOW?

The P3 promised all manner of things, and after numerous horrific firmware updates, does everything work yet? I will not do another firmware update on my P3

2) Will support for the P3 simply get worse (if that is possible) once resources are shifted to the P4?

3) Has anything been done to improve customer support? I can have a better customer experience at the local 7-11 buying a chili-dog.

Showing your product with Delicate Arch in the background is  a really bad idea. UAV flying in ANY national park or seashore is forbidden presently.

DJI has much room for improvement in terms of delivering what has been promised and then after sale support.

I'll leave it to others to experience DJI from now on, as I do not think they will get any more of my money.
2016-3-1
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

cford88 Posted at 2016-3-1 22:13

I agree and i feel the same way about edited photos. If you can make a shitty photo look good, whats the point. You get to feel proud about something you didnt actually do?
2016-3-1
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

These are just the first 10 questions that came to mind:
1. Is the collision detection going to work for any other direction of flying other than forward flight?
2. In Follow Mode, what happens when the signal to the remote is lost?
3. Tapping GO to a point on the screen, how are the destination coordinates computed and how flight altitude is adjusted?
4. Is the landing gear and / or gimbal detachable?
5. If not wrong, P3 and I1 cameras are based on a 3x3 CCD panels. Why did that change and how are the 8 CCD panels in the P4 arranged?
6. What is the charging time of a P4 battery?
7. Are the P3 - P4 batteries interchangeable?
8. Is DJI providing prop guards for the P4?
9. What is its top speed in no-wind conditions and what is the maximum wind speed considered safe to fly in?
10. Can filters be attached to the camera?
Thanks,
Bogdan
2016-3-1
Use props
rodAndTheCat
lvl.4

New Zealand

info@coastodian Posted at 2016-3-2 17:33

1) What percentag ...

I tend to agree with you info. As a user of DJI products professionally, I love the concepts and potential scope they offer.  
However, they must focus on performing as advertised-- IN every one of their products this has NEVER been the case.  We have had motor burnouts, software failures, firmware bricking, updates, downdates, sound/ sync issues on the osmo, camera drift etc etc.

This is not good enough by a long shot. The new drone is spec'd superbly- however, I will not be an early adopter this time, but will watch and wait until it becomes tried and tested by others. (although one would hope that DJI might get it right this time, but their track record doesn't give me any confidence on this.)
I am not prepared to use my money as an unpaid beta tester for them anymore. Get it right DJI and we are yours forever, but let us down again with non compliant/ unreliable products and I for one will be looking at the competition.

Rod and the cat  

2016-3-1
Use props
martin
lvl.2
Sweden

So is the camera basically the same as the P3?
2016-3-2
Use props
martin
lvl.2
Sweden

And same movie compression?
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

martin@austinso Posted at 2016-3-2 19:32
So is the camera basically the same as the P3?

No, it has an entirely new, and better lens.
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cford88 Posted at 2016-3-2 14:13

With regard to your application for the position of Marketing Manager DJI Group:

"Trying to put these things in the hands of everyone by making them virtually "Dummy" proof to fly defeats the entire purpose and is not a good thing IMO. "

Sorry, but your application did not get past the receptionist.
2016-3-2
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

It looks cool and the video has never looked better.  My gf who always fly's with me finally agreed to get one just to get going after seeing these.  I tried telling her how capable the Phantoms are...but she loves my Inspire and has her mind set on that.  The Phantom is a cool looking uni-body, but I do wished they would go with the replaceable arms/motors and start getting away from uni-body as you can be back up in running in a few minutes WHEN you crash....as opposed to having to ship the whole unit off, etc...etc...
I am just baffled at why they increased speed vs flight time as well.  I'd prefer to cruise at 35 mph and fly for 32-38 minutes, than do 45 mph and fly for 22-28 minutes.  Really too bad they made that decision, and IMO, the decision to not make the landing gear retractable was a really bad idea considering the Typhoon H is coming out and just 200 more than this (theoretically) and I've got a 360 degree gimbal and it has collision avoidance as well.  Seems like it's going to be the normal thing after the Inspires success.

All in all, I like the look and the camera and how much you can do for such a mid range price point drone.  I saw the Skyranger today for the first time...wow....what a beast.  For those that haven't seen it.  check it out.  Fly's in any weather and up to 55mph winds, comes with FLIR, etc...

http://aeryon.com/aeryon-skyranger

2016-3-2
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87772 ft
United States

It's a decent evolution but I feel it's not a very significant step forward, especially the collision avoidance system, which is kind of dumb – it's front facing only. Once you move past extremely basic camera moves, front facing collision avoidance is rarely an issue because you're yawing the quad in terms of camera angles and flying at odd angles. In other words, you're rarely facing the direction you're actually moving.
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I1ADDICT Posted at 2016-3-2 20:27
It looks cool and the video has never looked better.  My gf who always fly's with me finally agreed  ...

"Really too bad they made that decision, and IMO, the decision to not make the landing gear retractable was a really bad idea considering the Typhoon H is coming out and just 200 more than this (theoretically) and I've got a 360 degree gimbal and it has collision avoidance as well."

You can choose to use Sport Mode or not, so where is the problem?

The Typhoon H is not available, you can't go out and buy one, and if you did, the obstacle avoidance is a proposed option, it is not a standard included feature like it is on the Phantom 4. And even if you want to buy the option, Yuneec cannot tell you how much it will cost.

2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-2 20:38
It's a decent evolution but I feel it's not a very significant step forward, especially the collisio ...

Yes, it is front facing only, but to implement it in all directions would mean at least 10 cameras plus 5 image processing systems to properly do 360 degrees, and you would melt your wallet paying for that sort of capability.

Most times, you are flying in a forward direction, and most importantly, when it goes into failsafe RTH it will be facing forward, and that is very important because it is when you will possibly not be able to see where it is going.

2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I have never seen such a bunch of negative nay-sayers. Look carefully at the website and you will see there are a multitude of amazing improvements built into this aircraft, Magnesium frame, dual redundant compasses and IMUs, the VPS system now has 4 sensors and is more accurate, the gimbal is structurally better and stronger, the camera lens is improved, it can fly faster if you need speed and it has obstacle avoidance. No other competitor's aircraft is as fully featured as this one.

And just to pee off all the critics who have been predicting new 'Phantom killers' from competitors, DJI come out and gazump them again.
2016-3-2
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

I1ADDICT Posted at 2016-3-2 17:27
It looks cool and the video has never looked better.  My gf who always fly's with me finally agreed  ...

Hi there,
I agree on the Aeryon.....but for US$65000 to US$150000......that hurts the pocket if you're not working at the government.
2016-3-2
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

thompsoncrew Posted at 2016-3-2 10:43
Micheal M it's $2399 here in Australia I feel your pain ! But what a quality product... Now I just h ...

Yesss the numbers don't quite work do they?
1399 USD
@ current exchange rate (1 USD = 1.3874 AUD)
1,940.97 AUD
add GST @10%
2135.07 AUD
Soooo 263.93AUD for shipping? oh no that's right shipping is "free"
*sigh* marketing eh?
This means I won't be an early adopter
2016-3-2
Use props
retired dog
lvl.2

United States

I wonder how you would balance the blades if they need it, being they don't screw on like the P3's do?
2016-3-2
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87772 ft
Philippines

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-2 17:47
Yes, it is front facing only, but to implement it in all directions would mean at least 10 cameras  ...

No doubt it'd be a hard implementation, but no, actually you're rarely flying forwards. Well maybe you are if you're doing very basic camera moves, but that's rarely the case with anyone doing cinematic cam moves. Maybe one out of 25 flights of mine is the P3 actually facing the direction it's flying in. Even a POI/Orbit or Course Lock mode (very basic, would be a very useful application of collision avoidance) is untenable for this CA system.

Also if I'm not mistaken, other manufacturers have implemented much wider coverage than just front facing collision avoidance.

2016-3-2
Use props
rodAndTheCat
lvl.4

New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-2 22:54
I have never seen such a bunch of negative nay-sayers. Look carefully at the website and you will se ...

Yes, but how much have you invested in DJI and how much grief have you had?

Their track record speaks for itself.--- Brilliant innovators but always seem to launch a product with so many problems. That is my experience.
Rod and the cat
2016-3-2
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

Intersting new Phantom 4. I hope the firmware and the apps will not be full of new updates like it was and still is with the Phantom 3 series. I will wait to see how it goes and wait for a better camera with variable aperture and higher bit rate.
2016-3-2
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Thailand

Monumentale Posted at 2016-3-2 01:51
So go for the Inspire or Matrice
I'm good with the P3P
2016-3-2
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

I have two (2) P3P as for today; one of them has flown only once, so that is a spare one. When I will be retired as an old man in a few years, then I will buy one, no matter what and at then, there might be an even better one, perhaps.
2016-3-2
Use props
geo33
lvl.1

Russia

Wow... lots of improvements.
One is rather strange - 4 cams to trace obstacles in front and rear and nothing on sides. Nice...
I wonder who made a choice between u-sound sonars and cams?
Stupid... no side assist, faulty on regular visual structures and low-contrast objects, unusable in low-light conditions...
2016-3-2
Use props
geo33
lvl.1

Russia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-2 17:47
Yes, it is front facing only, but to implement it in all directions would mean at least 10 cameras  ...

Actually 6 ultrasonics emitter-sensors will be far enough to solve 3D environment cases.
Light, reliable, energy saving, weather and light conditions independent...
Wrong choise, guys, wrong choice...
2016-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules