DJI - Phantom 4 The Most Powerful Technology
15292 188 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HDdrones
New

Pakistan

From designs's perspective, what is better in phantom 4 than in phantom 3?

hddronesforsale.com
2016-3-2
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

The Phantom 4 may be useful to me. Will it be possible to use the Phantom 4 with my Inspire radio controller? Can I buy the Phantom 4 without the radio?  I have four aircraft that can fly via my single Futaba radio.  I already have two Inspire radios (plus my Futaba) and don't want to have to buy something unneeded nor carry so many radios with me.
2016-3-2
Use props
alamatth
lvl.1

I get that the Phantom is more of a consumer product than the Inspire, so maybe throw in some spiffy new tech to appeal to the masses, but please tell me that there is something coming for the Inspire that matches or exceeds this.  Like M100 Guidance.  I have an Inspire 1, and am considering a V2, but won't waste my money if there's an Inspire 2 due to be announced in the near future.  Is there a roadmap for the Inspire that someone can share?

2016-3-2
Use props
fgavazzeni
lvl.2

Italy

Hi,
sexy piece of DJI !!!!
I've just ordered one phantom 4 and in a separate order 2 spare batteries !!!
start the countdown for the maiden flight !

2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

fgavazzeni@me.c Posted at 2016-3-2 11:05
Hi,
sexy piece of DJI !!!!
I've just ordered one phantom 4 and in a separate order 2 spare batteries ...

I am sure you will enjoy it.

Dave
2016-3-2
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great release and really enjoy the videos.
2016-3-2
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

duey101 Posted at 2016-3-1 13:37
Not enough to get me to give up my P3. A better camera is what was needed and not implemented. No up ...

Ditto this 100%. Reluctant posting this. I planned on buying another P3P but I decided to wait. Wondering what the big announcement would be. Alas... lots of new "features"....same camera. Ok, 1080 120fps but honestly that's just another added feature. I guess they had to do "something different" to the camera so it would feel an upgrade. 4K 60fps....that's different. "1080 anything" is still in use but 1080 has received its pink slip and on its way out.  It's all very exciting and cool but in regard to videography...nothing new was announced. Bummer.

So for $999 I can be shooting the same quality as before.  Or for $2300 (new case, new extra bats etc.) I can be shooting the same quality as before.

For a first time quad package investment.... yes the P4 would be the way to go.
2016-3-2
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-2 02:54
I have never seen such a bunch of negative nay-sayers. Look carefully at the website and you will se ...

Jeeez man...relax a little.  It's only as negative as you make it.  I think a lot of people are asking why and trying to have a discussion.

1.  It's a great product, like I said...but still doing a Unibody?  How does that make sense?  Even in interviews DJI staff has said that a unibody doesn't give the freedom to replace 1 or 2 common parts (this was in an Inspire interview I believe) that break in most crashes.  Arms, Camera mounts or motors.  A lot of companies are making swapable arms since that's the most common thing to snap off.  The unibody look is great...but the functionality from the enevitable crash = more downtime to send off a full unit, vs fixing it yourself really quick on a simple part.

2.  The retractable gear makes all the difference when you're comparing the Typhoon  H and the shots you can get from a fixed gear aircraft.  The 360 degree head tracking experience is unreal from my Inspire1.  And it would be just as amazing from a Phantom IF the gear folded up.  However, it doesn't...so when looking around you get gear in your way all the time.  The Typhoon H will be out in late March or April, but they won't say for sure...but they WILL SAY even with obstacle avoidance it's still going to be under $2000.00 USD.  So to me, this could spell trouble for the sales as 2 of those options are very very appealing.

3.  Battery life vs Higher Top Speed.  This is one that I just really want to understand as we had a unanimous agreement with all the drone guys BS'ing that everyone would of preferred longer flight times at 35mph as most of us rarely go top speed anyways as the footage is not smooth.  Seems like to me DJI would of just crushed it with a much longer flight times rather than burning the extra juice on going faster, it would of been nice to be in the air longer.

2016-3-2
Use props
kjmarsola
lvl.3
United States

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-2 04:38
It's a decent evolution but I feel it's not a very significant step forward, especially the collisio ...

There are also 2 cameras on the bottom, for collision avoidance.
See the video from DJI
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-2 22:20
No doubt it'd be a hard implementation, but no, actually you're rarely flying forwards. Well maybe  ...

"Also if I'm not mistaken, other manufacturers have implemented much wider coverage than just front facing collision avoidance."

Actually, I don't think they have.
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

geo33 Posted at 2016-3-3 04:43
Actually 6 ultrasonics emitter-sensors will be far enough to solve 3D environment cases.
Light, re ...

"Actually 6 ultrasonics emitter-sensors will be far enough to solve 3D environment cases.

Light, reliable, energy saving, weather and light conditions independent...
Wrong choise, guys, wrong choice..."

Not a chance, ultrasonic sensors are only a very short range solution, you need vision systems to resolve anything at a distance and with any degree of reliability, especially if you are flying towards an obstacle at speed.
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

geo33 Posted at 2016-3-3 04:15
Wow... lots of improvements.
One is rather strange - 4 cams to trace obstacles in front and rear and ...

"One is rather strange - 4 cams to trace obstacles in front and rear and nothing on sides. Nice...
I wonder who made a choice between u-sound sonars and cams?
Stupid... no side assist, faulty on regular visual structures and low-contrast objects, unusable in low-light conditions..."

Front and bottom, not rear.
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

kjmarsola@gmail Posted at 2016-3-3 07:54
There are also 2 cameras on the bottom, for collision avoidance.
See the video from DJI

They are for the vision positioning system, not for collision avoidance.
2016-3-2
Use props
kjmarsola
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-2 17:06
They are for the vision positioning system, not for collision avoidance.

Watch this video from DJI
2016-3-2
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

alamatth@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-2 12:04
I get that the Phantom is more of a consumer product than the Inspire, so maybe throw in some spiffy ...

All vid's I've seen so far say stay away from the v2.0 as it's just got the improved gimbal mount (from the X5), which you can do yourself for 100 bucks and I HIGHLY recommend.  And the improved/more powerful motors are equaling shorter flight times.  

Check it out.

2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

kjmarsola@gmail Posted at 2016-3-3 09:20
Watch this video from DJI
DJI

Yes, I did watch the video, and it does not explicitly say the downward facing cameras are part of the obstacle avoidance system. In another video they are said to improve the stabilisation of the VPS system.

In any event, think about why you would need obstacle avoidance in a vertical direction?
2016-3-2
Use props
lido_bmt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87772 ft
Philippines

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-3 05:52
"Also if I'm not mistaken, other manufacturers have implemented much wider coverage than just fron ...

*shrug* Looks like I was thinking of the Typhoon H, though I'm not sure what CA coverage pattern it has and it's not yet released. I guess a few front forward sensors is better than nothing, but it's like saying a spotlight on top of your car is useful. Sure, in very limited, specific circumstances. Hopefully you can turn it off to squeeze out a tiny bit more battery life rather than burn it on something of very narrow usage.

2016-3-2
Use props
tdjohnson740
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15472 ft
United States

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-3-2 06:13
Yesss the numbers don't quite work do they?
1399 USD
@ current exchange rate (1 USD = 1.3874 AUD)

Your  exchange rate and taxes are government management issues.  Honestly it's why we can't live abroad., but we do love to travel!  
2016-3-2
Use props
tdjohnson740
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15472 ft
United States

retired dog Posted at 2016-3-2 06:15
I wonder how you would balance the blades if they need it, being they don't screw on like the P3's d ...

You balance the same way as before,they just attach to the craft differently(clearly still spin).
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-3 10:44
*shrug* Looks like I was thinking of the Typhoon H, though I'm not sure what CA coverage pattern it ...

My impression from the data released so far is that you will be able to turn it off, but it will come on automatically during RTH.
2016-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

tdjohnson740 Posted at 2016-3-3 11:27
Your  exchange rate and taxes are government management issues.  Honestly it's why we can't live a ...

It makes little difference, the cost of living here is much the same as yours. Even if you were on our currency, you could still live the same lifestyle as you currently do. Just some companies price gouge, Apple being one of the best at it.
2016-3-2
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-3-2 19:13
Yesss the numbers don't quite work do they?
1399 USD
@ current exchange rate (1 USD = 1.3874 AUD)

totaly agree!!
2016-3-2
Use props
denalidan66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183786 ft
United States

Any idea when the manual will be posted for the P4?
2016-3-2
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

fgavazzeni@me.c Posted at 2016-3-2 20:05
Hi,
sexy piece of DJI !!!!
I've just ordered one phantom 4 and in a separate order 2 spare batteries ...

Lucky you, I guess I have to wait a while, if I order now; my wife will kill me, probably.

I bought P3P more or less a half year ago, and after about 3 – 4 weeks I bought another one, same model. I didn’t stop there, with a good camera like that I needed a good printer, so I got me a Canon Pixma pro 10s, lol.

If I tell my wife I want a drone more, she going to kill me for sure, lol.
2016-3-2
Use props
britz
New

Philippines

Dave,
would there be variants for the P4 soon? like the P3 that have the standard/adv/pro?
thanks
2016-3-2
Use props
FLYBIGSKY
lvl.2
United States

My Questions are:
1.  Can we charge Phantom 4 batteries and RC with the Phantom 3 charger?

2.  Will the filter size be the same for the camera?  Are the threads the same?

3.  Will the 4 fit into the same soft case as the 3?
2016-3-2
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7224 ft
Canada

markus.carlbark Posted at 2016-3-1 12:26
Is the P3P/A remote HDMI addon compatible with the P4 remote?

Yes it is
2016-3-2
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
Canada

alpinekiwi Posted at 2016-3-1 13:35
I'm going to have to go with No for the moment.

I was about to drop money on upgrading to the P3P w ...

120m above ground level not sea level and that can be increased to 500m. Where is everyone getting this idea that it has a new limit from?
Edit: Oh I guess someone made an incorrect statement somewhere
2016-3-2
Use props
ricardomantilla
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331096 ft
United States

Exciting new stuff! Well done
2016-3-2
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
Canada

cford88 Posted at 2016-3-1 20:13
****Beginning of Rant****

Is it me or do we live in a world now where we don't have to do anythin ...

I wonder if someone once told the Kodak and Polaroid companies the same thing about cameras....
2016-3-2
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
Canada

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2016-3-2 12:50
So for $999 I can be shooting the same quality as before.  Or for $2300 (new case, new extra bats etc.) I can be shooting the same quality as before.

You got a drone, case and accessories for $999? Or is that just "new math"? You can't include them in one and not the other then call it a comparison.

There are a lot of enhancement to the Phantom with this release including to the camera. No 60fps 4k, but do that math (the old way will be fine thanks) and work out the data transfer rate required for that.  Its pretty significant hardware needed to record at that rate and unless I have missed it, not something you will find on ANY consumer level drone.
2016-3-2
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
Canada

lido_bmt Posted at 2016-3-2 16:44
*shrug* Looks like I was thinking of the Typhoon H, though I'm not sure what CA coverage pattern it ...

The Typhoon H is Front Facing only  as well, it has a wider FOV,. but still only looks ahead. There was no mention of its effective range,
2016-3-2
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

Dioden Posted at 2016-3-3 04:21
Lucky you, I guess I have to wait a while, if I order now; my wife will kill me, probably.

I boug ...

lol, I am in the opposite boat, My Mrs said 'Go ahead and order one if you want' Only because she wants my P3P but to be honest there is just nothing on the P4 I can not do without, the P3P is awsome
2016-3-3
Use props
clausboman
lvl.1

Thailand

So DJI, I have a question, for the Phantom 4 will you do the same as you recently did for the owners of the Phantom 2? Issue a Range Extender update that breaks the connection. Then keep silent for a few weeks, hereafter don't take responsibility even hundred of customers now have broken drones? Then when the customers ask for you to repair it you, you send a mail back to them saying case closed because warranty is out - even it you own software who broke it.

Is that the service that awaiting us if we buy a DJI 4 - just curious?
2016-3-3
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

I1ADDICT Posted at 2016-3-2 04:27
It looks cool and the video has never looked better.  My gf who always fly's with me finally agreed  ...

The SkyRanger pricing is $35,000.00 US.
2016-3-3
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

ghtracey Posted at 2016-3-3 01:47
You got a drone, case and accessories for $999? Or is that just "new math"? You can't include them  ...

I crashed my P3P so I already have all the P3P batteries, case, filters, extra props, chargers etc. So the comparison is based of that...to get the same quality video
2016-3-3
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

arock387@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-1 17:37
awesome!  Start saving now and by Christmas I should have enough for one of these bad boys (due to i ...

every kid is going to want one, no flying skills required.
2016-3-3
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Good job with the Phantom 4, DJI!

I've only flown once with my Phantom 3 Pro that I bought this winter. Though it is still brand new, I have ordered a P4 directly from DJI Store. Looking forward to it!
2016-3-3
Use props
Bemx2k
lvl.1
United Kingdom

For most P3 pro  owners there is no need to  think about changing it for  P4
but for  someone like me who is gonna  buy first drone it's a perfect choice.

b.t.w

Is it possible to switch off  obstacle avoidance  and  save some battery life ?
2016-3-3
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

sinbad_uk@ntlwo Posted at 2016-3-3 10:33
lol, I am in the opposite boat, My Mrs said 'Go ahead and order one if you want' Only because she  ...

LOL! My other half has no interest what so ever, only my son.P3P is really awesome, I totally agree, I think I have o run them two down, really to the bottom before I order a newer one, sorry to say.
2016-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules