Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4: limit altitude of 400 feet
105496 79269 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisElly
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-1 18:15
You have to tap in the box then enter 500 and it brings up an acceptance box then tap agree.

Hi Ken

thanks for you help
Chris
2016-5-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Phantom_Film Posted at 2016-3-1 16:54
Great news Ken.
It is not your fault, you were left alone in the arena with wolves, sharks, bears  ...

What, no Canadian wolverines? Hahaha
He gets off lucky then... Hahaha

I love the 500m rule. It keeps me from bumping into flocks of incoming geese... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-5-1
Use props
Mr.buGSy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 820712 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

So Ken, what was the altitude limit again? Just kidding I think Ken & Dave probably answered that like 10 times "THE LIMIT IS 500!".
You really wanna go high huh? I've wrote this before, but here we go again.

The Phantoms descent rate is 4m/s and that's in sport mode. Normal mode is 3m/s. Say for some reason, the Gods of DJI grant you unlimited altitude over sea level; then you clime up to a whopping 2000m, because you're temporary insane. So you're up there, soaring the skies and admiring the view. Suddently you realies you've been up there more than you should. Now you've got 5 minutes of battery left, and 2000m to descent. With the Phantom 4 in sport mode you would need approximately 8,3 minutes to get the craft down from that height and land it. But you're feeling lucky; it's your lucky day. Your 5 minutes are up, and you're still at 800m altitude. Then the unthinkable happens. That precious flying state of the art technology turns into brick, and starts falling. That's when you say ohh shit.

You probably think this could never happen you; good exprienced pilots. But YouTube says otherwise.

Cheers to you all and fly safe.
2016-5-1
Use props
Russell F
lvl.2

United States

It can now be changed, I just adjusted mine to 150, I had To OK the change, warned about FAA regulations.
2016-5-1
Use props
Russell F
lvl.2

United States

The 400 feet limit can now be adjusted. I raised it 150.
2016-5-1
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

pgrover516 Posted at 2016-3-1 16:47
Glad I checked here first, I too was ready to reach for the credit card but I'm out if 400 ft is max

It is 500m max, just like with the P3.
2016-5-2
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2016-3-2 06:12
Wow, I'm out.  How many cars do you think you would sell if you put a max speed limiter and set it t ...

its called the law,  its called safety,  if you want to break that then we are all better off without you flying
2016-5-21
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

wheeliesteve Posted at 2016-3-2 06:39
How are you supposed to get shots if your in the mountains unless on top of one? I definitely won' ...

Because if you bother to look before complaining you will see its altitude above take off point,  so being on top of a mountain is irrelevant,  you can go 500 ft above where you are standing at take off point,  higher than that you are breaking the law and risking the safety of others.
2016-5-21
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

pgrover516 Posted at 2016-3-2 06:47
Glad I checked here first, I too was ready to reach for the credit card but I'm out if 400 ft is max

good we don't want you flying
2016-5-21
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

Jacques850 Posted at 2016-3-2 06:52
I'm not living in USA.
Why am I forced to flight below 120 meters ?

worldwide aircraft height rules,  where you are in the world is irrelevant, its about aircraft safety,  there are too many yobbos spoiling this hobby for all of us by not caring about altitude safety of drones
2016-5-21
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

cocacola222 Posted at 2016-3-2 06:56
I live uphill and normally fly my phantom 3 before battery goes to around 50% long range however...  ...

What ????????????????
2016-5-21
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

cocacola222 Posted at 2016-3-2 06:56
I live uphill and normally fly my phantom 3 before battery goes to around 50% long range however...  ...

aircraft safety laws and rules dont give crap about what you want and nor should they.
2016-5-21
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-2 07:25
I really dont care about the 400 ft limit, i dont fly over that anyway what its upsetting is the d ...

Good finally someone on this thread with some intelligence,  good on you and thanks.
2016-5-21
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

FantomDK Posted at 2016-3-2 07:29
It should not limit to 400 feet. Not least because it would be a problem for people filming in areas ...

how many times   FROM TAKE OFF POINT ALTITUDE MOUNTAINS ARE IRRELEVANT IF YOU ARE STANDING ON IT ...............
2016-5-21
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-2 07:52
The max altitude limit is indeed 500m.

and so it should be,  good on you DJI.  Safety first,  I have a legal limit of 120m from take off point and i have never gone over that,  why?  because I am concerned about aircraft safety, not selfish like many people on this thread seem to be.
2016-5-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nicwilson Posted at 2016-5-22 08:21
worldwide aircraft height rules,  where you are in the world is irrelevant, its about aircraft saf ...

Not strictly correct, the rules regarding Phantoms vary from country to country, although 400ft seems to be well recognised as a limit.
2016-5-22
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

nicwilson Posted at 2016-5-22 17:27
and so it should be,  good on you DJI.  Safety first,  I have a legal limit of 120m from take off  ...

" I have a legal limit of 120m from take off point"

You need to check what the rules actually say rather than assuming you know.
You won't find any mention of your take off point.
Where you take off from is not relevant.
2016-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Does anyone read in these forums it's very clear to me that P4 has a maximum altitude of 500 m , but people keep on about 120 m without reading comments, in some country's you height limit may be set by your government in Ireland flight limit is 120m doesn't mean I can't fly higher just means I'm breaking the law of the land, so if your not going to buy because you can't fly higher I suggest you look to your country's legislatures , if you want to fly higher than 500m maybe buy a helicopter..
2016-5-22
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

nicwilson Posted at 2016-5-22 15:27
and so it should be,  good on you DJI.  Safety first,  I have a legal limit of 120m from take off  ...

You seem to be all about the law, is it only when it comes to flying phantoms?
Have you ever broken speed limit, talk on the phone and drive, drive when sleepy, driven after drinking,changed lanes without signaling, expired inspection  stickers...........
I think most of us who get very "law" aware when it comes to flying is because we are afraid that people who break these laws are going to  be responsible for our toys being taken away from us!
Don't worry drones are here to stay regardless of idiotic behavior.
2016-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It's always the few idiots who spoil it for the rest of us, yes people will stretch things to the limit and like to live on a thin line, I'm ok with live and let live, but if someone's recklessness causes problems for me or others I have a problem with that, if want to kill yourself drink driving, speeding or walking into your own drone feel free it's your life, but don't drag innocent people into your stupidity..
2016-5-22
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I recently ran into the 500 meter limitation while planning a flight. There is a ridge line I want to fly up to a target I want to film. Range wise and line of sight I can make it but when I checked the elevation change I found that I needed an additional 100 meters. So that means I have to do a long trek on foot which greatly complicates the situation. I really wish DJI had no altitude limitation or considered the terrain elevation change when applying the 500 meters. Perhaps some kind of waver for when the pilot needs the additional altitude.
2016-5-22
Use props
tomkes
lvl.1

Switzerland

Is the upper Limit of 500 m related only to the DJI go app?
Would it be possible by using e.g. Litchi app or similar to adjust the upper Limit?

I life in the alps, not few of the mountains here are higher than 500 meters.

Regards
tom
2016-5-22
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

tomkes Posted at 2016-5-23 17:42
Would it be possible by using e.g. Litc ...

It is hardwired into the Phantom firmware.
2016-5-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

tomkes Posted at 2016-5-23 17:42
Would it be possible by using e.g. Litc ...

'I life in the alps, not few of the mountains here are higher than 500 meters.'

The limit is only how far vertically you can travel. If your were on the top of Mount Everest you could still take off and fly upwards another 500 Metres. So if you need to fly at high altitudes, then start your flight higher up.
2016-5-23
Use props
tomkes
lvl.1

Switzerland

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-23 11:18
'I life in the alps, not few of the mountains here are higher than 500 meters.'

The limit is only  ...

That is clear to me.

I want that the P4 is able to ascend aside or close to nearly vertical cliffs/rock walls. I am not sure if 500 m would be enough for doing this but maybe I do deceive myself with the height of such walls.
2016-5-23
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

I believe that aircraft generally may not fly lower than 600 ft.
Our max height of 400 ft will give us and the low flying aircraft 200 ft vertical separation for safety.
However if you take off from 600 ft then climb the permitted 400 ft, you will be at 1000 ft and there  could be danger of collision.
A friend of mine flies gyrocopters, and confirms the above.

I very much doubt that at 1600 ft you could even see your Phantom, or have any way of judging how to avoid a collision with any aircraft.
Just limit yourselves to 400 ft, the images from that altitude can be stunning.
2016-5-23
Use props
len
New

United States

I live at 8000-feet. I would like to explore the mountains around me, some of which are over 10000-feet but are not accessible unless I climb to the summit. I am not a mountain climber. I guess I won't be able to explore them. I am a new owner so I have not yet had much experience with the unit but I hope the company finds a way to let us do that without compromising safety.

2016-5-27
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

len@attitude.ne Posted at 2016-5-27 08:38
I live at 8000-feet. I would like to explore the mountains around me, some of which are over 10000-f ...

From what I know (I might be wrong), but the limit is set from the take off point.  I know when I lift off I am already at 1245ft above sea level and my bird will show 0 altitude height when I lift off.  So for you to go up to the mountains peaks would you require you to be at the higher point of the mounatin and then 400 feet limit from there.

True, it sucks when you are in an awesome location with mountains like that, but those are the rules set by various government restrictions.  Maybe a future roll out will have restrictions based on location.
2016-5-27
Use props
len
New

United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-5-27 09:05
From what I know (I might be wrong), but the limit is set from the take off point.  I know when I l ...

I was wondering if that could be done, a limit based on latitude/longitude where not in close proximity of airports. I would like to be able to see the summit of some of the mountains nearby. We have a few more to the south and to the northeast (I live about 5-miles west of North American continental divide.) What if this unit were being used for search and rescue it would seem bad to limit the ceiling in that case when in a mountainous area. I realize idiots would mis-use it but darn I wish I could explore. Imagine if you were a mountain climber and used it to scout out an ascent path. Sigh. I will try to produce some cool video soon, there are some beautiful mountains here. If you want to see where here is, you can look at http://observatory.attitude.net/ that is me.
2016-5-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

len@attitude.ne Posted at 2016-5-28 14:23
I was wondering if that could be done, a limit based on latitude/longitude where not in close prox ...

You have the additional problem that even if you could climb up those extra two thousand feet (and with a 500 Metre limit you nearly could because 500 Metres is equivalent to 1640 feet) you would also have a problem with battery life. A Phantom uses more battery power to climb than it does to fly horizontally, so if you could climb up another 1640 feet, you would probably have very little flight time left for exploring.

You best bet is to travel up the mountains as far as you can get and then try flying further up from there.
2016-5-27
Use props
len
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-27 22:32
You have the additional problem that even if you could climb up those extra two thousand feet (and ...

For purposed of "take off point" If I were to land somewhere half way up the mountain and then take off again would the ceiling be 500m above that point? Does that also become the new 'home' point? Sorry if the questions seem ridiculous. Thanks in advance.
2016-5-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

len@attitude.ne Posted at 2016-5-29 11:51
For purposed of "take off point" If I were to land somewhere half way up the mountain and then tak ...

I'm not sure but  it would be easy to test by trying that out with a landing point just a small height above home - 20 ft would be enough to test.
The land half-way up solution isn't going to be very workable in real life situations.
You would have to find a landing spot that would give you a clear line-of-sight from your start point to allow you to shut down and start up again.
Just finding something like that on the side of a mountain would be a challenge.
Add to that the additional flight time required for ascent+descent from the extra height and you don't have much flight time to do anything up there or have any safety margin.
2016-5-28
Use props
angelpilot4u
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199826 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

Highlander Brow Posted at 2016-3-2 02:11
That´s what I am wondering and it seems nobody actually care. DJI Phanton 4 looks ok even if it is  ...

Actually the wording from DJI is not correct, 6000 meters should be called the service ceiling, that is the highest altitude the hardware to fly in less dense air, that's its limit in capacity,  and is not related in anyway to the 400ft FAA regulated altitude.
Philippe jogjasky.com
2016-5-28
Use props
angelpilot4u
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199826 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

2016-5-28
Use props
len
New

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-28 20:31
I'm not sure but  it would be easy to test by trying that out with a landing point just a small he ...

My observatory is about 500-feet above the residence so I can try that safely just to take some measurements. The residence is about 1000-feet from the observatory. I will make some experiments soon. A lot of the mountains around here are not that sheer and do allow for many platforms for landing. I am very curious about this and since I don't have access to their software I can determine some of this through simple experimentation. I wish there were a way to read some of these variables from software (from the control applications.) Perhaps some day. I guess the only alternative is to build my own some day Who knows?
2016-5-29
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

angelpilot4u@gm Posted at 2016-5-29 14:43
Actually the wording from DJI is not correct, 6000 meters should be called the service ceiling, th ...

This is DJI's wording:  
Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level        6000 m (Default altitude limit: 120 m above takeoff point)
2016-5-29
Use props
josh.trtr
New

Australia

For what it's worth, you can definitely fly above 400ft in the Phantom 4. Here in Australia I flew up to 480 metres (1574 feet) over the weekend.

When you change the max altitude in the app to above 120 metres/400 feet, the app gives you a warning about how you might be breaking the law, but you can hit 'accept' to set it anyway.
2016-5-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

josh.trtr Posted at 2016-5-30 12:35
For what it's worth, you can definitely fly above 400ft in the Phantom 4. Here in Australia I flew u ...

This is a very old thread. The bit about the 400 foot limit was bogus anyway and was denied by DJI right at the start of the thread. Yes, you can fly up to 500 Metres in Australia, I have done it too.
2016-5-29
Use props
user01410bb89e
New

United States

Highlander Brow Posted at 2016-3-1 15:11
That´s what I am wondering and it seems nobody actually care. DJI Phanton 4 looks ok even if it is  ...

980 ft with phantom 4
Screenshot_2016-08-14-18-28-58.png
2016-8-14
Use props
user01410bb89e
New

United States

980ft using sport flying mode
Screenshot_2016-08-14-18-28-58.png
2016-8-14
Use props
Advanced