P2V+ (V1) Coupla Noob Questions - 400' - Really?? / Battery Care/Storage
1624 12 2015-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

As I mentioned in my last post, I'll have lots of questions about these awesome flying machines. Here's a few of them...

1. (The easy ones) - Is there any reason not to store a fully charged battery (or any battery for that matter) in the Phantom when packed in my case for a week or two maybe longer?
2. Is it better to leave the batteries charged or discharged when not in use? I've read you should fully drain them every 8-10 flights, but should I turn around and recharge them, or leave them until I am ready to use them?
3. (The not so easy one) - Most of the commentary I read eludes to the fact that you should not fly above 400' (I'm in the US), but some places it mentions that this is only when you are within 5 miles of an airport. I also read that you can't fly within 3 miles of an airport unless contacting the flight control folks (hmmm, don't see their number in my phone). And then there are plenty of blurbs saying that you just shouldn't fly near an airport.  Period.
I can see the last point and agree, no problem. I don't need to be flying near an airport, but if I do, I will contact the FAA and happily follow their guidance.
It's the 400' thing that bothers me. That's like putting the speed limit on the freeways back to 55 mph!  I see lots of videos on YouTube where the bird is MUCH higher than 400', and flying over rural areas. I understand that not everyone follows the rules, but is this a limit only while in a city, or maybe anywhere there's people?  If I'm out in the middle of absolutely nowhere, and fly above 400' am I still breaking the 'guidelines'?

Thanks for reading all that! Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Barney

2015-1-7
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

Hi Barney,
Welcome to Phantom flying. The 400 foot limit is set by the FAA for all of America. This is the Radio Control flying height limit. Anything over that and you are in the NAS. Yes people often do break the rules. It is better to fly safe in my opinion. The 5 mile rule is NO flying within 5 miles of an airport.
The battery storage questions are a little more complicated. First off, the intelligent battery will do a self discharge after about 10 days to around 50% charge. The ideal storage charge is 40 to 50% charged if you are doing a long term storage. If you are only talking about a couple of weeks, than charge them fully and check them before you use them. It is never a good idea to leave the battery in the Phantom. You should always remove the battery when you are finished flying for the day.
2015-1-7
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

1 These are lipo batteries and susceptible to swelling and starting to burn.  They are now programmed now to discharge to about 50 % after 10 days.
2 Leave the battery at half charge if storing them for any length of time stored in a safe metal container and checking the charge to make  sure they don't discharge to 0%.  That will kill them.  It is advisable to run them down to 8% after every 20 charges and recharge them fully to replenish their performance.
3 The 400' limit is FAA mandated anywhere in the US.  Civilian aircraft, especially small private prop planes are required to stay 500' AGL, except in a landing at an airport.  The DJI phantom has programmed into the flight controller that will prevent you from starting motors at any designated airport while in GPS mode, but not sire if that also prevents flying in manual mode.
2015-1-7
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-8 09:47
1 These are lipo batteries and susceptible to swelling and starting to burn.  They are now programme ...

Thank you very much. I'll have to find where it told me to drain them completely. I distinctly remember seeing that somewhere. I appreciate all the insight here and in other threads, thank you!
2015-1-7
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

momochi Posted at 2015-1-8 09:43
Hi Barney,
Welcome to Phantom flying. The 400 foot limit is set by the FAA for all of America. This  ...

Thank you, and Thank you! Very detailed info. Does this apply in Texas too? (kidding) It's odd (or not) that you see so many threads about modifying them to fly farther than you're allowed to fly them. What about flying over homes and commercial property? Is it up to the local authorities to decide if I'm at, say, a small empty public park (chasing the ducks)?   lol... That just brings up a whole bunch more questions, but I think I get the picture. I think common sense prevails here and be ready to take responsibility for whatever sense gets overlooked. Definitely worth researching. I've done some of the High Power Rockets, but the launch sponsors are definitely in contact with the guys in the tower. Happy Flying!

Barney
2015-1-7
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2015-1-8 13:43
Thank you, and Thank you! Very detailed info. Does this apply in Texas too? (kidding) It's odd (or ...

I also fly High Power rockets. Tripoli Level 3. Yes, that is very controlled and we do have a waiver from air traffic control and the FAA for a TFR around our launch site. This of course is impossible to do with UAS.
Personally, for me, some of the best videos I have seen are from 30 to 80 feet range. Anything over 200 feet becomes a little boring. Sort of looking at Goggle earth pictures. I have been in aviation for over 30 years so maybe I am just tired of seeing a whole lot of nothing in detail. Being a bird and flying around at tree top level or just slightly above that gives me the best view and best sensation of true flying like a bird. I myself have never gone over the 400 foot limit and really see no need to do that. Happy flying to you. You do seem to be someone with a great sense of responablity and common sense.  
2015-1-8
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

Concerning the 400' limit...I believe the FAA is intentionally putting out disinformation passing this off as some kind of rule/law when in reality it is not. Wait, you mean the government is lying to me?  Tell me it ain't so!

Please see, this link. Notice in the document it states
1. PURPOSE. This advisory circular outlines, and encourages voluntary
compliance with
, safety standards for model aircraft operators.

It then goes on to to state as one of the "operating standards",
c. Do not fly model aircraft higher than 400 feet above the surface. When flying aircraft within 3 miles of an airport, notify the airport operator,
or when an air traffic facility is located at the airport, notify the control
tower, or flight service station.

Therefore the 400' limit is voluntary. You may choose to comply, or not. This may change in the future. But for now, the sky's the limit
2015-1-9
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

jmtw, the reason they are asking you to comply is because aircraft can at times be flying as low as 500ft so they put a 400ft ceiling to avoid accidents.  frankly, if they ask for it voluntarily and you flew over 400' just because it wasnt illegal, and you caused a plane to crash that caused someone's death, i would personally think you were a douche bag for not doing what they asked.  remember, just because it is legal doesnt make it moral.  and there are reasons they have not implemented it into law that can have more to do with legal and governmental red tape than it does with whether or not the law would be a good idea or save lives.
2015-1-9
Use props
Pmcdn2014
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772959 ft
United States

Question about leaving the battery in the Phantom: I sometimes leave it in for a day or so.  What is the risk in this?
2015-1-9
Use props
Madam Concord
lvl.2

United States

Good video on storage of LiPo Batteries Storage, Charging & Fire Risk for DJI Phantom & Remote Control:

2015-1-9
Use props
pabbamonto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-10 01:23
jmtw, the reason they are asking you to comply is because aircraft can at times be flying as low as  ...

I believe there is a spot in the computer software Assistant that you check or uncheck a box and you can fly above 400'.  I did uncheck it and had to agree that I knew I was not support to fly above 400'.  I do not agree and left it at 400' so I did not actually attempt to fly above the limit.
2015-1-9
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

Madam Concord Posted at 2015-1-10 07:19
Good video on storage of LiPo Batteries Storage, Charging & Fire Risk for DJI Phantom & Remote Contr ...

Point taken.  Thanks!
2015-1-9
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-10 01:23
jmtw, the reason they are asking you to comply is because aircraft can at times be flying as low as  ...

I get the reason they are asking. My point is, they are trying to make it appear as though there is a rule/law which requires you to stay below 400' when there is not and in many locations there's no danger at all in flying higher. It's dishonest even if their intentions are good. It would be like the NHTSA asking motorists to voluntarily stay below 55 mph on the highway, even though the law says you can go 65, and then putting out videos/press releases making it seem as though 55 mph is the legal speed limit.

I personally fly only in class G airspace so that the chances of encountering manned aircraft, and becoming that douche bag, are extremely small. The only manned aircraft I need worry about in class G airspace around where I fly is the occasional helicopter, which staying below 400' above ground level will not help to avoid as I've seen them flying lower than that.
2015-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules