Testing of P4 Features - Issue with Loss of ActiveTracking of Sub...
1833 39 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

All,

Norm from "Tested" has already published a 14-minute hands-on video of testing of some of the new P4 features including ActiveTracking of a human subject, obstacle avoidance, and TapFly.  The features work pretty much as advertised.  However, one concern is that twice is just a few minutes of testing ActiveTracking, subject tracking was lost when Norm while walking forward at a brisk pace made a sharp change in direction to the left.

See the video here:     {Note: Sorry, the "Add Link" feature is not working using IE 11 on my Windows 10 machine}

Tracking was lost twice during brief testing of the ActiveTracking feature - at 9:30 and 10:08 minutes into the video - the first time while subject (Norm) was simply walking forward and then turned left and the second time while he was running slowly forward and then turned to the left.  Perhaps this was with an earlier pre-release version of the firmware?

DJI-Ken or DJI-Dave -

Can you comment on the tracking problems noted in the above video made by a reputable testing group?  And can you comment on the current status of the tracking firmware development?  The loss of tracking seen in the video does not bode well for the P4 being able to reliably track human subjects at low speeds much less skiers, motorcycles or snowboarders.  Perhaps the "Tested" crew was working with a pre-release version of the firmware? Looks like DJI reps were on-site throughout the testing.
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

About the lost of the target, it might be the light condition difference and the quick change of action of the target that affect the tracking function. You can see at the second tracking, the light condition is more consistent, even with the higher speed, but the sudden disappear from the camera view will also make the tracking target lost because the machine still needs sometimes to learning the scene difference. So it's better to track in the environment of consistent light and always keep the target in the center of the view. Also, it's better no the make the front version face to the sun, cause too much light is not approiate for the front vision.
2016-3-1
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

I won't pay €1599 for this Tracking feature, If I would pay that kind of money it should looked on the "target"  and keep it. Not lose it so easily.
2016-3-2
Use props
mikael
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24199 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

There is a lot of complaining going on about the new P4. It almost sounds like when Apple is releasing something new. Instead of focusing on whats good or great, people are rather focusing on trying to find limitations and bad things.

Hey its a first release. There are going to be firmware upgrades along the line and there is going to be a P5 at some point. I think the new features and the longer battery life sounds super interesting and the P4 in all its glory is definitely a step forward compared to previous models.

I have the P3P as well as the Inspire 1 Pro B/E. I am changing my P3P for a P4. Hey, whats not to like. Its new, it has new features and myself as a lot of others loves new gadgets.  

Regarding pricing. Someone compared it to a used car price. Hey 1399 or whatever it is in Europe or canada. Its not that much for what you get. My car also has obstacle avoidance. But it costs a whole lot more than this. And it doesn't even fly. But its color matches the P3P a lot better.
Thumbs up from me DJI.

IMG_3606.jpg
2016-3-2
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-2 12:14
There is a lot of complaining going on about the new P4. It almost sounds like when Apple is releasi ...

Top notch!
2016-3-2
Use props
johnchao411
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45364 ft
Taiwan

Can't wait to get the new quad!
2016-3-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

johnchao411@gma Posted at 2016-3-2 06:33
Can't wait to get the new quad!

I'm looking forward to it as well as far as the issue with the tracking let's wait till we get it in our hands before talking about issues. I'm sure there's going to be a few, there always is with something new
2016-3-2
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-2 15:59
About the lost of the target, it might be the light condition difference and the quick change of act ...

Thanks, DJI-Amy, for the possible explanation for the tracking loss seen in the brief early test video.  As with any new device with new features and early firmware, there will be features to be further tweaked and improved as well as learning under what conditions features work best or may have difficulties.  Keep up the good work.  

The P4 looks to be an exciting new product with valuable new capabilities.  I am most excited about the improved camera and extended battery life.  Those are features I can put to good use every day.
2016-3-2
Use props
Stanley Fredrik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 148556 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I think at launch we get new firmware Sure there some issues in begin.
2016-3-2
Use props
jerricat13
lvl.2

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-2 06:14
There is a lot of complaining going on about the new P4. It almost sounds like when Apple is releasi ...

Great post.  IMHO, this is a significant step up in technology from the P3.  Sounds to me that some are looking for some type of military grade drone that is infallible. It's a machine, just like computers....They don't always work perfectly.
2016-3-2
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

So if you buy a brand new car and it dosent work perfect its ok? I think it should work whiteout any problems, that it should be tested enough before they start to sell it. Otherwise they could sell it and say -Just so you know, its new. expect that it will not work perfectly as we have promised, but after several firmware updates, it will be better. I think I will wait and see what people says after they have owned it for awhile.
2016-3-3
Use props
Rain1dog
lvl.3

United States

DanielJacobsson Posted at 2016-3-3 11:26
So if you buy a brand new car and it dosent work perfect its ok? I think it should work whiteout any ...

It works as advertised... so the quad might not be perfect in every situation that it gets itself into.  DJI is pushing the boundaries with what is possible and price.... its that combination that truly seperates DJI from the rest.  

It will work just fine!
2016-3-3
Use props
dustinjohn2
lvl.2

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-2 19:14

I agree with you mikael.  You know, I bought the P3S just a couple weeks ago, because I was BRAND NEW to the hobby.  I did take it back tho because after flying it I grew out of it pretty quick, but that machine was OUTSTANDING.  I was going to buy the P3P anyways.  This is only $400 more with some pretty cool features.  I really like th tap flying AND the redundancy is such a security blanket I think..  PLUS the sport mode looks super fun!  45mph is pretty fast with a remote control rc.
2016-3-3
Use props
alpinekiwi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54803 ft
France

I would imagine it would work a lot better if the subject were further away from the camera. A smaller target for the sensors would allow more maneuverability...

I also imagine this would be a more likely scenario in the world of action sports. I'd never follow a snowboarder or motocross bike that close...
2016-3-3
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-2 06:14

I have a question.  How is the difference flying the P3P and Inspire?  I am going to pass on the P4 and get an Inspire.  Can you tell me the difference between the 2 as far as handling and all
2016-3-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-3-4 03:46
I have a question.  How is the difference flying the P3P and Inspire?  I am going to pass on the P ...

The Inspire and the P4 are two totally different platforms and you can compare the two on the specs page.
You asked about handling, the Inspire it like flying a luxury SUV and the P4 in Sport mode is like flying a race car.
2016-3-3
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

The feature shown here is a bit of a gimmick because it has no tracker of any kind, no IR light no GPS locator, it literally screenshots the object it has to follow, if you stand in front of it with a black shirt with a big DJI logo on it but then you turn around the logo facing the other way it might think the object has dissapeared. Think of the face login that was featured few years ago in laptops and some Android phones where it would unlock the phone automatically when your face was shown to the front-facing camera but if the lightning changed or you wore glasses to even shaving beard would often produce error message instead.
2016-3-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

shayd93@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-4 06:29
The feature shown here is a bit of a gimmick because it has no tracker of any kind, no IR light no G ...

It works quite better than that. It does have it's limitations but it does track well. If the person is wearing a shirt with a yellow front and green back it may lose track if they turn around. BUT if the person does a full turn then it will remember both yellow and green shirt and track better.
The sensors should also  be re-calibrated if it isn't working properly.
2016-3-3
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-3 17:48
It works quite better than that. It does have it's limitations but it does track well. If the pers ...

Does the Phantom avoid obstacles while on Active Track? If the person disappears from the frame will the phantom wait for the person or even turn around to look for it or once object disappears the drone switches to P-GPS
2016-3-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

shayd93@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-4 07:22
Does the Phantom avoid obstacles while on Active Track? If the person disappears from the frame wi ...

You can turn it on or off in Active Track, if on it will avoid obstacles while following the person.
If they disappear or it loses track, the P4 will hover and stay put.
2016-3-3
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
  • >>>

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-4 10:32
I just tested the ActiveTrack at the end of my street on pavement and I could not get the P4 to lose ...

Please do, I'm very excited for the Phantom 4 however I would really prefer to wait for Inspire 2 if that ever comes out.
2016-3-3
Use props
mikael
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

dacofty Posted at 2016-3-3 20:46
I have a question.  How is the difference flying the P3P and Inspire?  I am going to pass on the P ...

First of all. The Inspire is a lot bigger than the phantom. My first impression was that suddenly the P3P felt more like a toy. The Inspire feels a lot more professional. The inspire is a lot more responsive and handles wind a lot better. But I wouldn't say that it makes it more difficult to handle. It is faster though.

I love the fact that the the inspire landing gear raises and that you can have 360 degrees control of the camera. That said. It doesn't take long before you want a second remote to control it. Since the camera doesn't always point straight forward, you have to think a bit different when controlling the I1. In the beginning that can feel a bit harder.

The P3P is still a great unit and produces great results. But the Inspire 1 X5 camera give you better quality. But it's a lot more money. If you have the money to spend or you  are going to try to make money using your drone. The I1 is a great choice. But ft it's more a hobby thing for you. The P3P or the P4 are both great choices.
2016-3-3
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-4 02:31
First of all. The Inspire is a lot bigger than the phantom. My first impression was that suddenly t ...

yes i hear that about the camera being align straight, does it have a auto align?  
2016-3-4
Use props
mikael
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

dacofty Posted at 2016-3-4 13:20
yes i hear that about the camera being align straight, does it have a auto align?

My X5 camera was actually broken when I got it. And it is still not resolved. Hopefully I will experience good help and support from DJI. Right now its just silence and conflicting information.

But a working camera is not that hard to align and get really good results from. And there is a lot of great information from people on this forum that has a lot more experience than me regarding how to get the best results possible. Check out the different parts of the forum.
2016-3-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-5 01:33
My X5 camera was actually broken when I got it. And it is still not resolved. Hopefully I will exp ...

You are in contact with them and sent your camera back?
2016-3-4
Use props
mikael
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-4 18:37
You are in contact with them and sent your camera back?

No not yet. I have been in contact with my dealer. He has been in contact with DJI. I got a very strange answer from my dealer where DJI said to them that they didn't know if it would be covered by the warranty. (It was broken when I got it). Right now I don't know anything. Where to send it, what to write, who to contact, if I need to send in the complete drone or not. So if you have any help to offer, that would be great.

Right now Im in Sweden. Will be back in Miami March 23.

Thanks
Mikael
2016-3-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-5 02:08
No not yet. I have been in contact with my dealer. He has been in contact with DJI. I got a very  ...

Did you purchase it in the USA? If so, you can email or call 818-235-0789 and they can start a ticket for you.
If you bought it overseas then give me your email and I can forward it overseas.
If your dealer already started a ticket in the US then it's already being handled.
One case sounds familiar to me and the gimbal arm was bent but it also looked like the X5 was painted silver so you said yours was broken out of the box so that one could not have been the same.
And why do you say it's broken, what is wrong with it?
2016-3-4
Use props
mikael
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-4 19:46
Did you purchase it in the USA? If so, you can email or call 818-235-0789 and they can start a tic ...

I bought it in Miami at Hobby Pro Inc. I am waiting a respons from them. So I don't know if they started a ticket or not.

I didn't really noticed that anything was wrong with it from the beginning. I have only flown about 30 minutes with it in total. The first battery went fine. When I changed battery and started using them camera a bit more. A message popped up on the Ipad screen when I was hovering about 40 feet above ground saying the Gimbal was overloaded. After that message the camera was uncontrollable. So I landed it and restarted it and the camera was controllable again.

When I picked the I1 up from the dealer, he updated everything for me. And he actually had some problems with the camera from the beginning. He called DJI and asked them about the problem. They said that it should be fine, but he asked them to make a note of his call in case the camera was going to give me problems in the future. After the problem I had in Sweden I tried to figure out what the problem was. It looks kind of fine and it feels like it moves ok. But comparing it to another X5 it looks like the gimbal arm is bent or at least is mounted strange from the factory. My guess was that, that is the reason that the Gimbal was overloaded. Something is not smooth enough. I guess the Gimbal is super sensitive to this. And thats why I guess its broken somehow. At least it gets unresponsive after the error message pops up. So I can't use it.

What do you think?
2016-3-4
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-3 21:32
I just tested the ActiveTrack at the end of my street on pavement and I could not get the P4 to lose ...

1. I am so jealous you have one.
2. I want your old bird.
2016-3-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-5 02:58
I bought it in Miami at Hobby Pro Inc. I am waiting a respons from them. So I don't know if they s ...

Ok, did you have any hard landings?
What you can do when you get back to the states is start a ticket and send it all in. They can review the flight logs to see if there was any hard landings to cause the gimbal to bend. If there was no extremely hard landings, then it may be covered under warranty. BUT, I have nothing to do with that department and I can only suggest sending it in and they will look at it.
2016-3-4
Use props
mikael
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-4 20:09
Ok, did you have any hard landings?
What you can do when you get back to the states is start a tic ...

Ok. Don't think I have any hard landings since the Gimbal was overloaded in mid air. And It does have landing gears which are automatic.

I am an easy guy. I just want it resolved. I have two more drones from DJI so Im not really a beginner. But I guess I'll will have to wait to send it back until I get back to Miami . I just hope we can have it resolved fairly fast. I want to be able to fly my new toy.

Hopefully my new P4 has come by the time I get back as well. But the Inspire 1 is really nice. And the matt black color makes it amazing.

Thanks for helping.
2016-3-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-5 03:56
Ok. Don't think I have any hard landings since the Gimbal was overloaded in mid air. And It does h ...

I'm sure it will all get resolved when you get back.
And you are going to love the P4
2016-3-4
Use props
mikael
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-4 21:05
I'm sure it will all get resolved when you get back.
And you are going to love the P4

I really look forward to see and experience what you guys developed. Have a great weekend.
2016-3-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-3-5 05:00
I really look forward to see and experience what you guys developed. Have a great weekend.

You too, thank you very much.
2016-3-4
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

alpinekiwi Posted at 2016-3-4 03:28
I would imagine it would work a lot better if the subject were further away from the camera. A small ...

You got a point there
2016-3-5
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-4 10:32

Sounds great
2016-3-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

You will love it, I can say that
2016-3-5
Use props
johnchao411
lvl.4
Taiwan

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-2 21:10
I'm looking forward to it as well as far as the issue with the tracking let's wait till we get it  ...

Waiting....is the most annoying thing .................but you're definitely right on this!
2016-3-10
Use props
johnchao411
lvl.4
Taiwan

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-2 21:10
I'm looking forward to it as well as far as the issue with the tracking let's wait till we get it  ...

Waiting....is the most annoying thing .................but you're definitely right on this!
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Here's a few videos to show how well Active Track works.
The 2nd one shows how far away it will work from the aircraft to the target.

2016-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules