Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Photogrammetry requests thread
1245 5 2016-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gregory80
lvl.1

United States

I do not own a drone, yet.

But I have some rudimentry experience with photogrammetry and I have been trialing some different softwares to see what results are achieveable. So far, only from a hand held camera and with limited success. I recently found some drone footage on youtube that was used to make a successful model, and after experimenting a little I was also able to make a decent model from the video.

Here is the youtube vid:

And here is the model: https://skfb.ly/LCVX   (I can even view this from my phone!)

I would like to try this again, and if anyone has some footage they would like modeled I would like to try it. There are some important considerations to take into account though. The sensor size and focal length of the camera are very important to know, and auto focusing must be off as it messes with aerotriangulation. Water, glass, and reflective objects do not work well either. I had to guess what drone etc was used and I had good results from FC300X 6.24mm sensor size and a 35mm equivalent size of 20mm focal length. 100 photos were extracted from the 63 second video every .63 seconds to give you some idea of how this was achieved.

If anyone has some similar footage, unedited, that circles a statonary object like a building or statue from a highish angle, and then flys around again at a lower angle, keeping the focus generally on the main point of interest, if you put it up on youtube and post the link I'll give it a go and post the results on sketchfab and here. If this forum supports iframes or bbcode I can embed the model for viewing right here in this thread.

Thanks.

2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

you can find a lot of nice shots in you tube made with DJI intelligent flight mode called Point of Interest .
Phantom has an infinity focus..
2016-3-2
Use props
Gregory80
lvl.1

Ahh thanks for that. Point of interest is the search term I need to find more of these sorts of videos.

After a little more playing around, I've found that all I really need to guess is whether the sensor is the 6.24 or 6.17 and dial it in to the 20mm equivalent. Much of the background gets stretched out of proportion, but a quick crop cuts away the worst of it and makes a decent model anyway.

I found a good example of a useful video and made a model from it.

https://skfb.ly/LEFR

This is the video, the model actually gets some very good detail from just one pass around the house.

2016-3-3
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

Nice job Gregory. Looking into Photogrammetry. And can't find the right program to create 3D models of buildings from the air at a large swath at a time.  Do you have any suggestions?
2016-5-2
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Hi Gregory,

I have some sets of aerial photos taken with Pix4D and DroneDeploy that you could use. I will fish them out and send you a link if you're interested?

Regards
Mark G.
2016-5-2
Use props
Ricky Wu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

wow, is there where you live?
2016-6-16
Use props
Advanced